News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Rosslare - Cherbourg starts 2 months early

Cap Finistere has now departed (several hours late) from Santander bound for Rosslare at the start of her stint standing in for Connemara.  I’m sure her speed will see her arriving on time by 1600 tomorrow.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couple of pics from Rosslare Europort twitter of Cap Finistere alongside at Rosslare earlier today Rosslare Europort is delighted to welcome the first ever calling of the @BrittanyFerries vessel

Looking a bit busy around Rosslare & Waterford at the moment, Stena Embla is in the bay, Stena Europe crossing the Irish Sea, Optima Seaways, Cap Finistere & Isle of Inishmore on the berths, V

Most of our regular Irish truckers have either come up from Spain or Italy on long haul runs, or Parisien wholesale markets at the beginning of the week, plus still a few shellfish boys delivering to

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Cap Finistere has now departed (several hours late) from Santander bound for Rosslare at the start of her stint standing in for Connemara.  I’m sure her speed will see her arriving on time by 1600 tomorrow.

She's trying, just over 21kts at present.

• Like 1

Couple of pics from Rosslare Europort twitter of Cap Finistere alongside at Rosslare earlier today

Rosslare Europort is delighted to welcome the first ever calling of the @BrittanyFerries vessel MV Cap Finistère to our shores. The vessel will take up a new weekly service to Cherbourg in line with serving Bilbao twice a week from Rosslare. #staysafe #sailsafe #saildirect

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ccs147
  • Like 10

Looking a bit busy around Rosslare & Waterford at the moment, Stena Embla is in the bay, Stena Europe crossing the Irish Sea, Optima Seaways, Cap Finistere & Isle of Inishmore on the berths, Visby on the way up and finally W.B. Yeats soon to pass.

Looking like the Dover Strait.

We need a tunnel!!!😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • TongueOut 1

So tonight’s CF sailing from Rosslare to Cherbourg - first commercial sailing by CF to Cherbourg since...how long ago?  Answers on a postcard?  I reckon 10 years.

32 minutes ago, Gareth said:

So tonight’s CF sailing from Rosslare to Cherbourg - first commercial sailing by CF to Cherbourg since...how long ago?  Answers on a postcard?  I reckon 10 years.

2010, I know she did berthing trials there but can't remember if she did any schedules sailings? (don't want to look it up as that's defeats the spirit of the question)

5 minutes ago, jonno said:

2010, I know she did berthing trials there but can't remember if she did any schedules sailings? (don't want to look it up as that's defeats the spirit of the question)

She used to do a few weekly Portsmouth-Cherbourg rotations in between her trips to Santander when she first joined the fleet.  It’s where her crew changes took place before she started calling at Roscoff after she opened the Bilbao route.

• Thanks 1

Yes Cherbourg really is the flavour of the month ex Ireland at the moment and long may it continue. I've seen so many new faces since Christmas who would normally take the Landbridge route back home, with most of them saying as long as Stena, IF and now BF put on decent vessels as theyre currently doing then it will stay that way. It will be interesting to see how DFDS develop Dunkerque but judging by the amount of trucks they leave behind at the moment it's looking promising.

Ex UK not looking quite so hot though, Cotentin doesn't seem particularly busy to/from Poole and the Galicia arrival from Portsmouth yesterday morning had 1 truck and 4 cars on board.....:o

Chris

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Yes Cherbourg really is the flavour of the month ex Ireland at the moment and long may it continue. I've seen so many new faces since Christmas who would normally take the Landbridge route back home, with most of them saying as long as Stena, IF and now BF put on decent vessels as theyre currently doing then it will stay that way. It will be interesting to see how DFDS develop Dunkerque but judging by the amount of trucks they leave behind at the moment it's looking promising.

Ex UK not looking quite so hot though, Cotentin doesn't seem particularly busy to/from Poole and the Galicia arrival from Portsmouth yesterday morning had 1 truck and 4 cars on board.....:o

Chris

Presumably the other advantage is that they can bring back as much booze as they want without being limited to the UK restrictions. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Chris

Probably not that surprising.  It would be interesting to know where in Europe all this traffic routing through Cherbourg from Ireland is heading - if it is landbridge traffic that would have used the Tunnel, I bet most if it is not bound for France.  Most of it is likely to be heading deeper into industrial Europe and just using France to transit.  This is bourne out by the popularity of the Dunkerque route.

By contrast, most of our freight from those deeper parts of Europe will be routing through Zeebrugge and Calais, so it would be a surprise if there were large volumes of freight routing to the UK via Cherbourg.  And the limited demand for UK - Western France freight is probably mostly catered for through Ouistreham anyway (supplemented by Le Havre).

• Like 2

Most of our regular Irish truckers have either come up from Spain or Italy on long haul runs, or Parisien wholesale markets at the beginning of the week, plus still a few shellfish boys delivering to the west coast of France. Out of interest I had 4 in this afternoon who tipped in Paris early yesterday morning, then straight up to Zeebrugge to load for the return trip. They still preferred to drive up to Cherbourg today and use CF rather than Dunkerque because (a) it gets them into Rosslare earlier tomorrow and (b) BR are charging €450 less per freight unit than DFDS. It's easily forgotten that longer time spent at sea costs money...

Cap Finistere very busy on the trip over last night and apparently equally so on the return sailing - a good start for BF.

Chris

• Like 6

Thanks Chris.  Though, it wasn’t so much the regulars (which were already provided for) as the new traffic (for which these extra sailings were laid on) that I was thinking about.  There seemed to be some surprise in some that sailings to Ireland (from Cherbourg) are busy whereas the ones to England aren’t.  To me, that’s not surprising at all and makes perfect sense.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

They still preferred to drive up to Cherbourg today and use CF

Don't be shy , they really wanted to stop and see you to  say hello and other stuff !

8 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Most of our regular Irish truckers have either come up from Spain or Italy on long haul runs, or Parisien wholesale markets at the beginning of the week, plus still a few shellfish boys delivering to the west coast of France. Out of interest I had 4 in this afternoon who tipped in Paris early yesterday morning, then straight up to Zeebrugge to load for the return trip. They still preferred to drive up to Cherbourg today and use CF rather than Dunkerque because (a) it gets them into Rosslare earlier tomorrow and (b) BR are charging €450 less per freight unit than DFDS. It's easily forgotten that longer time spent at sea costs money...

Cap Finistere very busy on the trip over last night and apparently equally so on the return sailing - a good start for BF.

Chris

And this is exactly the reality. Haulage is a marginal business as it is. The route taken will always be a time/cost balance which (for now at least) is likely to make Cherbourg - Rosslare (or Dublin) the most attractive route for most.

• Like 2

So, by reading all these posts, I guess that Cherbourg will see its activity quite increase in 2021, hopefully enough to compensate the loss of traffic towards and from UK. I wonder with which fleet scheme we will end up once the situation will be a bit quieter the next following months. I hope BF can add more crossings to make a little more cash. Because they need it, it must be kind of very urgent for them to carefully plan what they will do with Galicia, Salamanca and Santona and their buy option. sorry, maybe off topic. 

There is some evidence of DFDS achieving very strong loads to Dunkirk, even as Stena and IF have capacity on their Cherbourg sailings. Rates seem particularly competitive on the sailings released at the very last minute, but I imagine those will pickup over the comings weeks (if they continue).

Looks like CF done last nights crossing in about 13 hours and still held back on her speed a bit , if she were ever to do a Rosslare or Cork to Roscoff she should easily do it in 10 or 11 hours maybe .

Edited by Chef
  • Like 1