Possible Revival of Rosslare-Le Havre

Who was right ??? 😉 

https://actu.fr/normandie/le-havre_76351/la-brittany-ferries-envisage-de-rouvrir-une-ligne-entre-le-havre-et-l-irlande_38678745.html

Traduction

Brittany Ferries plans to reopen a route between Le Havre and Ireland A second line for Brittany Ferries departing from the port of Le Havre? In the midst of the Brexit context, the company is working on the subject, and is considering turning to Ireland. "We are in discussions with the commercial services of the Grand Maritime Port of Le Havre", confirmed Jean-Marc Roué. Asked about the possibilities of development towards Ireland during his recent passage through the ocean city, the president of Brittany Ferries explained that the company plancied on the hypothesis of the creation of a second line from Le Havre, already connected to Portsmouth, England. This time around it would be to turn "presumably to Rosslare" during 2021. All with "one ship affected, so probably more than one rotation" per week. This would be the third line that Brittany Ferries would charter to Ireland. A long-term reflection, a consequence of Brexit, whose re-establishment of borders will cut off the route of goods which previously passed between France and Ireland via the United Kingdom. Faced with the changes announced on this "long bridge" circuit which "risked being a little compromised, or put in difficulty", details Jean-Marc Roué, the company had already announced the establishment of a weekly link between Rosslare and Cherbourg. The Le Havre track is therefore now under study

• Like 1
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds indeed like the rivalry between Haute and Basse Normandie is not dead yet despite the reunification... 

My brother-in-law used to live near Ouistreham and worked as communications manager for the job centre in Caen but covered all of Lower Normandy. They merged with Upper Normandy last year and his offi

Just had a play around with possible timetables for such a service.  Alternate weekday sailings to Dunkerque would not be possible, two of them would need to be on consecutive days.  But a service tha

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

ARMORIQUE's freight capacity is far too low and COTENTIN is committed to the DfT Brexit contract.

Could they not switch Cotentin and put something else on Poole? Maybe that's why Barfleur was warming up the other day..

Surely it would be sensible then for BF to retain Etretat? The charter is reviewed every 6 months giving BF the versatility of returning her in the Autumn.

24 minutes ago, lg12 said:

Wasn't there a clause in the COTENTIN DfT contracted that it could be cancelled with very little cost if loads were too low. 

Yes - but my gut feeling is that anything like that is unlikely before the end of the initial 3 months.  Things are too unpredictable and after what happened before Christmas, the Government would rather see empty ships than risk a repeat having cancelled contracts.

Just now, jonno said:

Surely it would be sensible then for BF to retain Etretat? The charter is reviewed every 6 months giving BF the versatility of returning her in the Autumn.

I don't think that's an option.

Just posted this elsewhere

GNV has now announced that the SCOTTISH VIKING will be joining their fleet in the Spring as GNV SEALAND.
Clearly the STENA SCANDICA (ex STENA LAGAN) will replace SCOTTISH VIKING and STENA BALTICA (ex STENA MERSEY) will replace STENA FLAVIA.
This further appears to make it likely that Travemünde-Liepaja will receive the ETRETAT when she finishes with Brittany Ferries in the Spring and then receive STENA FLAVIA later in the year.

https://www-gnv-it.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.gnv.it/it/gnv/la-compagnia/comunicati-stampa/2021/14-gennaio/gnv-entra-in-flotta-la-nave-gnv-sealand?amp=true&fbclid=IwAR3FXUSXeEKJgvpF6nQBf1bIXI8__0a5wL-3hhloSApWnsFeNuPYZuJhYao

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Could they not switch Cotentin and put something else on Poole? Maybe that's why Barfleur was warming up the other day..

Maybe but it depends what the DfT contract says.  Whilst I have have heard some details, I am not sure if it specifies a specific capacity, I'd be surprised if it didn't.

I’m not sure whether or not this is “News” as yet - probably can’t be regarded as such until we actually hear something official from BF about it.  So, for the time being at least, I’ve moved this thread into the Discussion forum.

• Thanks 1
  • TongueOut 1
8 minutes ago, lg12 said:

How about picking up one of the stored P&O ships. Would any of them be in any way suitable for France-Ireland services?

Of course just wild speculation here. 

Interestingly, there is precedent for that.  When P&O first branched into Rosslare - Cherbourg, they used the former Dover - Zeebrugge ship European Clearway (renamed).  So using European Seaway would just be the next generation of that move.  I suspect there would need to be ramp modifications, and I’m not sure how they dealt with twin-level loading at Rosslare.  But for a freight service, yes, the former P&O Dover ships would do a job.

14 minutes ago, lg12 said:

How about picking up one of the stored P&O ships. Would any of them be in any way suitable for France-Ireland services?

If they went for the Burgundy, they'd pick up a viable Bretagne replacement as well. Two for the price of one

• Shocked 1
Just now, VikingVoyager said:

If they went for the Burgundy, they'd pick up a viable Bretagne replacement as well.

Can’t work out whether that’s a serious comment or not!

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I’m not sure how they dealt with twin-level loading at Rosslare.

I believe there is one berth with a twin loading link span.

I'm not sure how the European Seaway would cope with a longer, exposed passage to and from Eire. She is bigger than the Clearway but does have a different bow design, and those bow spades do bang through rough seas!

57 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I’m not sure whether or not this is “News” as yet - probably can’t be regarded as such until we actually hear something official from BF about it.  So, for the time being at least, I’ve moved this thread into the Discussion forum.

To be fair BF have confirmed they are looking at it so it's news that it's under consideration.  It's rather more than a rumour. a bit less than a confirmed plan :) 

46 minutes ago, lg12 said:

Why would BF need more ships - a large proportion of the fleet is laid up at present!

If such a route proved long-term maybe this is a different discussion.

I doubt the elderly PRIDE OF YORK and PRIDE OF BRUGES would get approval from the MCA to operate on such an exposed route and the PRIDE OF BURGUNDY and EUROPEAN SEAWAY are unsuitable without major modifications that won't be done quickly.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jonno said:

May the rumoured charter of the 2nd Gotland ship be a BF transaction rather than DFDS?

It's not a rumour.  

Håkan Johansson, CEO of Rederi AB Gotland has confirmed that DROTTEN is going to Rosslare - Dunkerque

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/ost/gotlandsbatar-har-borjat-koras-mellan-irland-och-frankrike?fbclid=IwAR1Ua47UxtJwfqxRydgVKQVyGzLXwx-nstpddiVneVK2aFybMFzAvub9Xj4

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

Why would BF need more ships - a large proportion of the fleet is laid up at present!

If such a route proved long-term maybe this is a different discussion.

I doubt the elderly PRIDE OF YORK and PRIDE OF BRUGES would get approval from the MCA to operate on such an exposed route and the PRIDE OF BURGUNDY and EUROPEAN SEAWAY are unsuitable without major modifications that won't be done quickly.

Most of the fleet may be parked but do they have anything suitable available.

Out of curiosity, what makes the York and Bruges unsuitable for the Irish Sea? In terms of age, they aren’t much different to the Oscar Wilde that was operating to France until recently. 

What kind of modifications would the Burgundy and Seaways need?

Edited by lg12
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, lg12 said:

Most of the fleet may be parked but do they have anything suitable available.

Out of curiosity, what makes the York and Bruges unsuitable for the Irish Sea? In terms of age, they aren’t much different to the Oscar Wilde that was operating to France until recently. 

What kind of modifications would the Burgundy and Seaways need?

Could we not see NORMANDIE or CONNEMARA diverted to a Rosslare - Le Havre route?  Maybe even BARFLEUR?

Of course all we know so far is that BF is looking at offering extra Ireland - France services.  The route may turn out not to be Rosslare - Le Havre, but maybe bringing forward plans for Rosslare - Cherbourg.

I am not a technical expert but the issue is around Stockholm Agreement operating conditions.  The York and Bruges are almost certainly 3.5 m limits whereas sections of Ireland - France are 4 m.  This would likely stop the STENA EUROPE too.

As for the Burgundy and Seaway - do you know these ships 😛  They would need new ramp arrangements as they are designed for use where a ramp is landed onto the ship and double deck loading.  Additionally, they'd lack sufficient cabins for the route.  Nothing that can't be solved, but not for immediate use which is the important thing here.

• Like 1

I am not sure that a chat to a newspaper, possibly after lunch, means that it will happen.

DFDS and Stena are using their financial muscle to try out new services. IF BF were considering it, I would have thought that they would keep it secret and launch with a bang. In hindsight keeping Kerry and Etretat would have been useful to help build more Irish routes.

Still might happen though !

• Like 1

I am not sure the Chairman of Brittany Ferries would purposely put out misleading on the record statements to the media. 

Quite a few of the recent Irish Sea rumours have ended up being true. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

Could we not see NORMANDIE or CONNEMARA diverted to a Rosslare - Le Havre route?  Maybe even BARFLEUR?

Of course all we know so far is that BF is looking at offering extra Ireland - France services.  The route may turn out not to be Rosslare - Le Havre, but maybe bringing forward plans for Rosslare - Cherbourg.

I am not a technical expert but the issue is around Stockholm Agreement operating conditions.  The York and Bruges are almost certainly 3.5 m limits whereas sections of Ireland - France are 4 m.  This would likely stop the STENA EUROPE too.

As for the Burgundy and Seaway - do you know these ships 😛  They would need new ramp arrangements as they are designed for use where a ramp is landed onto the ship and double deck loading.  Additionally, they'd lack sufficient cabins for the route.  Nothing that can't be solved, but not for immediate use which is the important thing here.

Thanks for the info. 

• Gareth changed the title to Le Havre / Ireland ?
  • Gareth locked this topic