News threads can only be replied to, not created.

New Routes Ireland - St Malo / Roscoff

• lg12 changed the title to Brittany Ferries Announces St Malo and Roscoff - Ireland Services
  • Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of Armorique arriving in Rosslare from Rosslare Europort twitter

My children also help to keep the Bay of St. Malo free of sand by putting as much of it as possible in the car every time we visit Normandy. Ed

I think we can safely say it is news if the President of the company has announced it   It looks like the President of the Brittany region jumped the gun a bit and then Jean-Marc Roue joined in.

Posted Images

Triangular or rather Roscoff - Cork -St Malo - Cork - Roscoff?

With a lot of Irish hauliers complaining about the distance Cherbourg is from their destinations, I wonder what chance this has of being competitive against other services.

Edited by lg12

Armorique confirmed in another tweet on the subject from Jean-Marc Roué

<< Parce que la filière de la pêche bretonne a besoin de nous, parce que nos amis industriels et agriculteurs nous attendent pour leurs exportations, parce que la Région Bretagne souhaite cette ligne, l'#Armorique démarrera ces liaisons début février.>>

Rough translation - because Brittany's fishing industry needs us, because our friends in farming and industry are waiting for us to export [their goods], because the Bretagne region wants this route, Armorique will begin services at the start of February. 

Link: 

Edited by AdamW
Adding in link

So a service French government Brexit subsidies.

I might be naive but to what degree does a St Malo / Roscoff - Ireland ferry service help the French fishing and agricultural community? I can see it helping Irish exporters and the French tourist industry in summer (during non-COVID times) but what does it do for the rest? French agricultural exports to Ireland aren't huge. 

Edited by lg12
16 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Makes sense if it's primarily freight-orientated. I think Armorique has been to St Malo before. 

Ed

I think so too, but she was not popular Portsmouth - St Malo with passengers - but she has taken on freight roles before.

How many trucks can Armorique transport. She is listed on a few sites as 65 trucks and it looks like the full length of Deck 6 is cars only?

That would give the service the lowest capacity on Ireland-France routes right now. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Makes sense if it's primarily freight-orientated. I think Armorique has been to St Malo before. 

Ed

Not from Cork.  The previous Cork-St Malo route was operated by Duchesse Anne.

Good to see them putting some members of the fleet to good use - beats having them laid up.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, lg12 said:

That would give the service the lowest capacity on Ireland-France routes right now. 

It does seem odd using a ship with particularly low freight capacity on the route at a time when freight is the primary source of income.

Even Barfleur would be better suited surely?  Then put the Armorique into Poole. But I suppose they know what they are doing.

38 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

It does seem odd using a ship with particularly low freight capacity on the route at a time when freight is the primary source of income.

They used it freight only for 2 months on the Ouistreham run.  I guess that it is about how many trucks they break even at.

2 hours ago, lg12 said:

Triangular or rather Roscoff - Cork -St Malo - Cork - Roscoff?

With a lot of Irish hauliers complaining about the distance Cherbourg is from their destinations, I wonder what chance this has of being competitive against other services.

The Dunkirk Ireland DFDS I gather has been the most popular U.K. avoider, with desirable roads to Eastern Europe from Dunkirk and giving truckers a 24 hour weekly rest 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lg12 said:

So a service French government Brexit subsidies.

I might be naive but to what degree does a St Malo / Roscoff - Ireland ferry service help the French fishing and agricultural community? I can see it helping Irish exporters and the French tourist industry in summer (during non-COVID times) but what does it do for the rest? French agricultural exports to Ireland aren't huge. 

Well on the fish side of things it could be something to do with an arrangement made a few years ago for French trawlers operating off the south west and west coast of Ireland to land their catch in Castletownbere for local processing and then shipped to France by road and sea thus saving the trawlers time and fuel returning to France to land their catch , apparently most of the catch is destined for  two  French supermarket chains , it also created local jobs in Castletownbere in the processing side and transport .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Afellowes said:

or until the cotentin finishes at poole and can swap with Armourique 

Instead of Le Havre/Portsmouth, makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

Instead of Le Havre/Portsmouth, makes sense.

Interestingly, there are still no schedules published for P-LeH after the end of Barfleur’s stint.  Must be still hedging over how they are going to deploy Cotentin.  One would think that using her on a fully loaded Rosslare - France route would make more sense than running an empty government-funded service on a route for which there is no demand.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I really hope they offer passenger spaces soon too as I rather fancy a couple of days in Cork in June. 

Ed

I'd fancy a few days here as well.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, des said:

I'd fancy a few days here as well.

If you fancy a few days in quarantine before doing anything (and maybe even mandatory hotel quarantine by then).

• Gareth changed the title to New Routes Ireland - St Malo / Roscoff