News threads can only be replied to, not created.

New Routes Ireland - St Malo / Roscoff

28 minutes ago, Gareth said:

They’re only operating up until the resumption of the normal full passenger schedule - currently slated for end-March, but that must be very doubtful.  If/when the resumption of the normal full passenger operation is delayed, it is likely that these temporary freight services will be extended accordingly.

Exactly - as I keep saying...these days we think of next week and if very adventurous next month, never any further!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of Armorique arriving in Rosslare from Rosslare Europort twitter

My children also help to keep the Bay of St. Malo free of sand by putting as much of it as possible in the car every time we visit Normandy. Ed

I think we can safely say it is news if the President of the company has announced it   It looks like the President of the Brittany region jumped the gun a bit and then Jean-Marc Roue joined in.

Posted Images

Indeed. Who knows what ships will serve what routes when all this Brexit/Covid difficulty develops (I mean for the better, fingers crossed). We may still see money to be made satisfying extra demand between France and Ireland, and I would imagine BF would try to make these services attractive to passengers.

8 minutes ago, colin said:

Indeed. Who knows what ships will serve what routes when all this Brexit/Covid difficulty develops (I mean for the better, fingers crossed). We may still see money to be made satisfying extra demand between France and Ireland, and I would imagine BF would try to make these services attractive to passengers.

If (and it is a huge if) these services continue it would seem a no-brainer to carry passengers when times allow.

I've put together this news report on BF's schedule and included a roundup of all the additional post-Brexit capacity - it's startling.  Let's see how much capacity lasts https://www.niferry.co.uk/brittany-ferries-confirms-new-brexit-bypass-routes/

• Like 1
On 27/01/2021 at 20:12, LHCity said:

Not to make it off topic, regarding Le Havre, there is a press conference tomorrow from the port authorities. It will be a question of clarifying the modalities for opening a new route to Ireland. If Brittany Ferries makes the noise run, it is because a very serious competitor could well position itself in Le Havre if Brittany Ferries does not. It is not excluded that the two companies share the route, but this could have an impact on the schedules of LH / Portsmouth, hence the delay in publishing the schedules after Barfleur. That's the info I've got

Was there any news on this?

A post has appeared on Facebook today claiming that P&O will launch a service from Rosslare port using 2 ships within the next few weeks.

8 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

Was there any news on this?

A post has appeared on Facebook today claiming that P&O will launch a service from Rosslare port using 2 ships within the next few weeks.

It is most certainly for Le Havre / Rosslare. I also had this info that P&O wanted to reopen a base in Le Havre for Ireland. Do you have the facebook link?

40 minutes ago, LHCity said:

It is most certainly for Le Havre / Rosslare. I also had this info that P&O wanted to reopen a base in Le Havre for Ireland. Do you have the facebook link?

It's a comment on a very long thread - but I think this will take you to it tinyurl.com/f76dfhy3

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 1

Blimey, operators seem to be lining up to serve Ireland-France now. This could end up being a nasty price war in a few months time. Before we know it, maybe even Moby Lines might be throwing their hat into the ring with a Daffy Duck themed ship.

• Haha 1

With the Irish Embassy also tweeting about possible links between Le Havre and Ireland, there could be some truth to the rumour.

How would Rosslare squeeze in another daily service to France. Leaving very early before 16:00 or after 23:00? Unless one of the services to Wales stops...

1 minute ago, zuludelta said:

Blimey, operators seem to be lining up to serve Ireland-France now. This could end up being a nasty price war in a few months time. Before we know it, maybe even Moby Lines might be throwing their hat into the ring with a Daffy Duck themed ship.

So who do you think would win in a scrap between Wile E. Coyote and Pierre le Bear?

Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't have the impression there is much price competition for the moment (might change soon enough).

DFDS seems to be the most expensive by about 30%, followed by Stena (same pricing from Dublin or Rosslare), and IF the cheapest (5-10% cheaper than Stena). 

1 minute ago, lg12 said:

I don't have the impression there is much price competition for the moment (might change soon enough).

DFDS seems to be the most expensive by about 30%, followed by Stena (same pricing from Dublin or Rosslare), and IF the cheapest (5-10% cheaper than Stena). 

and BF?

27 minutes ago, lg12 said:

With the Irish Embassy also tweeting about possible links between Le Havre and Ireland, there could be some truth to the rumour.

How would Rosslare squeeze in another daily service to France. Leaving very early before 16:00 or after 23:00? Unless one of the services to Wales stops...

Viably you could arrive 2100 and sail 0000 - that would be attractive to some customers and miss the real peak period at the port.

Maybe Norbay and Norbank might be diverted from the Liverpool - Dublin route.

Not sure if it's been posted, I don't want to scroll through comments:

Le Havre Movements has 'Armorique' listed to depart tomorrow, at 05:45, however, Portsmouth QHM has her listed for arrival at 20:00 (19:30 OSB). Knowing Portsmouth QHM, this maybe a mistake on their part.

8 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Not sure if it's been posted, I don't want to scroll through comments:

Le Havre Movements has 'Armorique' listed to depart tomorrow, at 05:45, however, Portsmouth QHM has her listed for arrival at 20:00 (19:30 OSB). Knowing Portsmouth QHM, this maybe a mistake on their part.

I’ve posted that she is due into Ouistreham at 0945 (accoording to AIS).  So is she doing a Caen - Portsmouth sailing then?  Wonder why.

At the moment every operator has idle/relatively idle tonnage and all looking for somewhere to use them. DFDS was in early doors with 3 ships it didnt know what to do with and suddenly everyone has jumped on the same bandwagon. What usually follows from that, quickly, is surplus capacity chasing too few customers, followed by either a price war and or reduction of such capacity. 

Be interested to see how it all pans out.

• Like 2

According to the BF press release, she’s entering service at Rosslare on Thursday (not St Malo on Friday as I previously thought).  So I think she’s going to pretty much hot-foot it from Portsmouth directly to Rosslare.

Why she is calling at Ouistreham and Portsmouth at all is a total mystery.  Surely they can’t need an additional one-off sailing from Caen, over and above the three already scheduled and the one from Le Havre?

11 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I’ve posted that she is due into Ouistreham at 0945 (accoording to AIS).  So is she doing a Caen - Portsmouth sailing then?  Wonder why.

The last time she did something weird was a couple of years ago when she picked up a large boat made in Cherbourg and took it to Le Havre for export to the middle east, if my memory serves. Maybe there is some abnormal load that needs to be taken to the UK.

A letter of apology signed by everyone in the EU perhaps. 😀

Ed

• Haha 3
11 minutes ago, Gareth said:

According to the BF press release, she’s entering service at Rosslare on Thursday (not St Malo on Friday as I previously thought).  So I think she’s going to pretty much hot-foot it from Portsmouth directly to Rosslare.

Why she is calling at Ouistreham and Portsmouth at all is a total mystery.  Surely they can’t need an additional one-off sailing from Caen, over and above the three already scheduled and the one from Le Havre?

According to Rosslare port movements, ARMORIQUE is sailing directly there from Ouistreham - ETA 1600 on Thursday.

20 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

According to Rosslare port movements, ARMORIQUE is sailing directly there from Ouistreham - ETA 1600 on Thursday.

So no call at Portsmouth - that makes slightly more sense.  The call at Ouistreham still mysterious though - if it was just for storing (such as any storing would be necessary), you’d think that would be done in Le Havre.

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

So no call at Portsmouth - that makes slightly more sense.  The call at Ouistreham still mysterious though - if it was just for storing (such as any storing would be necessary), you’d think that would be done in Le Havre.

What! You don't know about the Ouistreham-Rosslare-Gijon route?

• Haha 2
17 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The call at Ouistreham still mysterious though

They're probably picking up you-know-who - that Bear.

Just the passengers are mainly truck drivers does not mean to say they don't have to be entertained on board.

Edited by zuludelta
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Paully said:

DFDS was in early doors with 3 ships it didnt know what to do with

Only one of the ships on the route is theirs, and she just came back from BF charter. The other DFDS vessel was VERY short term. Sure, Destination Gotland had ships sitting idle.

• Like 1