News threads can only be replied to, not created.

New Routes Ireland - St Malo / Roscoff

Could it be that there is only a very limited number of crew on board in Le Havre, enough to start her up and manoeuvre to Ouistreham and the rest of the crew, including hotel staff will be taken on there? 

Ed

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of Armorique arriving in Rosslare from Rosslare Europort twitter

I think we can safely say it is news if the President of the company has announced it   It looks like the President of the Brittany region jumped the gun a bit and then Jean-Marc Roue joined in.

My children also help to keep the Bay of St. Malo free of sand by putting as much of it as possible in the car every time we visit Normandy. Ed

Posted Images

Ok, let’s try and make some sense of this.  What do we know?  Based on the various snippets of information, we know:

Arriving Ouistreham 0945 
Departing Ouistreham 1400
Arriving Rosslare 1600 Thursday

Arriving at the OSB Portsmouth at 1930 is certainly consistent with leaving Ouistreham at 1400.  And taking 27 hours for a direct passage from Ouistreham to Rosslare seems rather excessive.

So it does seem more consistent with the timings that a call at Portsmouth en route might be planned.  Although....whilst 27 hours is a lot for the direct passage, it probably isn’t enough for a passage to Portsmouth, spending whatever time in Portsmouth she needs to spend for doing whatever she needs to do, then making the onward passage to Rosslare.

None of which, of course, answers the question...why?! 

1 minute ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Could be departing after midnight.

Yes.  But that would require 16 hours or less to make the Portsmouth-Rosslare passage, which seems ambitious?

It’s just occurred to me - I’ll record it here for posterity (you know how romantic I am about these things!) - up until BF started operating from Rosslare, Armorique held a unique record of being the only BF ship ever to have operated commercial sailings from all then-11 BF ports.  On Thursday she will reclaim that record, this time in respect of all 12 BF ports! 😃

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

So, Portsmouth QHM is wrong? It doesn't surprise me. But like Gareth said, the call to Ouistreham doesn't make sense. Portsmouth to Rosslare can still be done though.

Capture.JPG

Ok - thinking about all this.  Maybe most of the info is right but not pieced together.  We have to remember this whole plan seems to have come together very quickly over the past week or so, it's very possible many components are being worked out along the way.

It makes total sense for ARMORIQUE to go to Ouistreham for crew and stores. 

Despite other info saying she goes straight to Rosslare, it is very possible the visit to Portsmouth is correct.  Let's not forget Whitaker's can probably bunker her there quite easily.  She too could possibly have called at Plymouth given the BF/Whitaker's facility there.  Though perhaps with no current Plymouth service, it is easier at Portsmouth.

Given the timescales, she should still be at Rosslare on time for Thursday afternoon.

In future, I'd say it's quite possible she will bunker in Rosslare, CAP FINISTERE has been bunkering there on Wednesdays lately.

Anyhow that's my tuppence for this big mystery...

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 1

Yes, it seems unlikely that the Portsmouth connection is just a figment of QHM’s imagination.  I agree with you, Rick, that there will have been bits and pieces to the plan, and maybe there might have been some elements that were changed in the planning, but putting it all together it does seem likely that the scenario is as you say.

Would just add that it may be that the departure from PIP is not in the QHM schedule purely because a definite time has not been set - that she’ll bunker and then just get on her way whenever that is complete.  If she’s away by 2130 (which she’ll probably need to be to clear the berth for Etretat) then she’ll have a good 20 hours for the passage to Rosslare, which seems more plausible.

8 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Tnhat's a fair point but going to Portsmouth for fuel does make sense. 

She's currently sitting in a dock that's a stone's throw from one of France's largest fuel refining facilities. Is it really that much more expensive here than in the UK?

Ed

12 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

She's currently sitting in a dock that's a stone's throw from one of France's largest fuel refining facilities. Is it really that much more expensive here than in the UK?

Ed

Probably not but don't BF have a contract with Whitaker?

Just now, RickOShea said:

I am hearing that ARMORIQUE is definitely not going to Portsmouth tomorrow...

Maybe she was in some incarnation of the plan (hence expected by QHM) but that plan has now changed.

4 hours ago, colin said:

Only one of the ships on the route is theirs, and she just came back from BF charter. The other DFDS vessel was VERY short term. Sure, Destination Gotland had ships sitting idle.

Optima Seaways was never with BF Colin. BDS as was never ventured south to Rosslare, it was Optima, Kerry & Visby. We now have Kerry, Visby & Drotten.

Portsmouth International Port do not have 'Armorique' listed for Wednesday evening, QHM should have listed is 'MV Arrow' (Currently at St Helen's Anchorage), not 'MV Armorique'.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
16 hours ago, Ian Walker said:

So what will happen as regarding Plymouth to Roscoff?

The 2021 Ply-Roscoff timetable hasn't changed since being published back in November. 5 trips a week with Armorique and 2 by PA starting 22nd March through to July at least.. I checked last night and the Armorique 22 March was showing as "fully booked", BF website speak for "cancelled" but I was able to make a trail booking for the Armorique out on the 23rd.

Edited by colinschandler
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, jonno said:

Optima Seaways was never with BF Colin. BDS as was never ventured south to Rosslare, it was Optima, Kerry & Visby. We now have Kerry, Visby & Drotten.

That is exactly what I said, isn't it? Kerry was with BF and is still on the route. Optima Seaways was VERY short term. Not sure what you thought I said, but perhaps I was unclear?

• Like 1

This could be in any  of a number of topics, so hope no-one objects to me putting it here. Move it if appropriate Gareth.

Brittany Ferries: Jean-Marc Roué fait le point un mois après le Brexit | Mer et Marine

Interview with J-M R. In short :

Massive stockpiling in UK before year end, Freight up 16% in Nov and 20% in Dec. Then big fall.

Hard to work out just what effects are from Brexit and Covid-19.

Irish services. Will demand continue? Have to wait and see.

Passengers. Anyone got a crystal ball? No clear sight going forward until things change. Very few bookings.

This section from the interview appears to be total nonsense:

----

Actuellement, nous honorons notre contrat avec le ministère britannique des Transports, qui consiste en une mise à disposition de capacités passagers vers les ports français, avec les Cotentin et Etretat.

----

Ed

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

This section from the interview appears to be total nonsense:

----

Actuellement, nous honorons notre contrat avec le ministère britannique des Transports, qui consiste en une mise à disposition de capacités passagers vers les ports français, avec les Cotentin et Etretat.

----

Ed

Here's a translation of the above for anyone not able to follow the French. 

----

We are currently following through on our contract with the British Ministry for Transport. This consists of providing passenger capacity on routes to France using the vessels Cotentin and Etretat.

----

Ed

• Confused 1