Holiday Bookings for Summer 2021

13 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Quite right, but that is what they call 'Tough Titty! Sometimes life is hard.

I'd advise against saying that publicly, there is a lot of strong feeling about this (I listened to Any Questions / Answers this weekend and it was a hot topic).

My own feeling is that vaccination is a process and to start with the elderly was correct. If they are able to travel sooner as a result, then so be it. It will help the travel industry and they have less time left anyway. But if 70 year olds start telling me it's "tough titty" they can expect a pretty scathing response

• Like 7
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hong Kong has had the benefit of dealing with SARS which at the time they treated as an atypical pneumonia. It killed 10% of the population of Amoy Gardens after it nearly wiped out the Prince of Wale

Loose talk! We will never get to the situation where 'everybody has been vaccinated' as people cannot be compelled to have it and making it compulsory simply isn't on the cards. I get really fed

It's not COVID per se that's causing the problem but the uncertainty. I'm afraid the only option is for all those companies in the tourist industry to band together and put pressure on those gove

Yes, I apologise for the choice of words, I wasn't intending to gloat but for a limited period it is likely to be the case that it will be up to other countries to determine who can visit them and at the moment it looks like vaccination status is likely to be a major factor. It has also of course been the case that it has been TT for us older people too, who have felt it necessary to at least semi shield ourselves from the rest of the population due to the higher risk of severe consequences from catching the bug. We never went near a pub or restaurant last year even when they had the Eat out to Help Out thing going.

'Don't Kill Granny' may have been an emotional appeal but there is a cold logic to the vaccination programme in that it has largely been the older generations who have been clogging up the NHS and thereby contributing to the horrendous backlog of waits for normal treatment for the population at large we now have. Not just old people get cancer and many other afflictions, younger people are very much affected too.

Vaccinating the older folk first is a win win as many of these people have large amounts of pent up spending power whereas the economic effects of Covid have largely fallen on the working population who have suffered financially. That money needs to be moved across the generations to balance things up and stimulate the economy.

This time last year we were seeking quotes to redeorate the ground floor of Chez Bishop but that had to be postponed. We also want to replace our heating boiler as well, as the old one, while still functional, is 25 years old. Until now we have not wanted to have tradesmen working in the house for obvious reasons but if vaccination has reduced the risk to a large extent then we hope to start looking at it all again in a month or two. With this and some other stuff there could be up to £10k going into our local economy from this one household alone by the summer and we are hardly unique. Foreign holidays are not on our horizon at the moment but a staycation might be possible so more UK expediture there as well.

Quite a lot of people did go abroad last summer/early autumn (and brought the bug back with them) but we considered it unsafe and lost our deposits so it was TT for us too then.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Quite a lot of people did go abroad last summer/early autumn (and brought the bug back with them)

I have been unable to find any data to support this. I do not dispute some came back but you would have been at a similar risk travelling to Leicester. We are diametrically opposed on this topic so will never agree. Potential new variants yes but for existing ones? 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, RickOShea said:

The working age people will be very angry that they are effectively banned from travel until the autumn.

Just think how angry they will be when pubs are only open to over 65s. 😉

• Haha 3

I have been unable to find any data to support this.

Ian, There was a report not long before Christmas which identified foreign holidays by literally hundreds of thousands of Brits as being a significant factor in the increase in infections as variants of the virus which had previously been identified only in Europe subsequently started popping up in the UK as far north as Scotland. Some specific outbreaks were traced to international social mixing in Zakynthos as reported in the news during the Autumn. I should have bookmarked them. Obviously that was only one factor though, the Kent variant seems to have trumped all the others.

Just think how angry they will be when pubs are only open to over 65s. 😉

Bob, I think and hope it won't come to that as pubs are likely to be reopened with social distancing, first alfresco and later indoors, as was the case last year. The difference will be that the over 65s might feel a bit more confident about visiting without putting their lives in danger. The vaccinations will simply reduce the risk factor to what will hopefully be an acceptable level for most. That means more customers and retired people like myself are more likely to visit pubs on weekdays during working hours for a meal and a drink which will be a big plus for the publicans. Before Covid I used to meet up with a couple of friends for a walk once a month or so. We would usually meet for coffee first, do our walk and then have a late lunch at a pub afterwards. Once fully vaccinated I would be pretty happy to go back to doing that again - can hardly wait actually! Also Mrs B and I would go down to the coast at least once a week for a walk followed by a fish & chip meal and that would also be back on the cards. Roll on Spring!

13 hours ago, RickOShea said:

Brittany Ferries is taking a slightly different line.  They believe that vaccine roll out means that travel should be possible between countries with good levels of inoculation.

Press release here https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-calls-for-a-vaccination-led-approach-to-travel-corridor-policy/

I think that purpose of this message from Christophe is all summed up in the last paragraph-

“Now is the time for optimism, not a shutdown on the summer getaway,” added Mathieu. “Lockdown Britons should look forward to holiday with growing confidence – and the time is ripe for a re-think on travel corridor policy. We should all be encouraged to book with companies that offer flexible travel, allowing easy amendments or refunds, in the event that the situation changes in the months ahead.”

ie. "Transfer a chunk of money from your bank account into ours now, When we are unable to operate your chosen crossing we will give you an amendment/voucher/refund, Thanking you in advance for you interest free loan."

Will the terms an conditions of the  Economy : Standard : Flexi tickets apply, or does "flexible" = "Flexi"? - I wonder

Edited by colinschandler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, colinschandler said:

We should all be encouraged to book with companies that offer flexible travel, allowing easy amendments or refunds,

Of course the refund in case of the situation changing is only true of inclusive holidays as are a lot of the benefits splashed over the BF main page, it would be easy to think that they applied to ferry only bookings as they are mentioned on that page as well.

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Ian, There was a report not long before Christmas which identified foreign holidays by literally hundreds of thousands of Brits as being a significant factor in the increase in infections as variants of the virus which had previously been identified only in Europe subsequently started popping up in the UK as far north as Scotland. Some specific outbreaks were traced to international social mixing in Zakynthos as reported in the news during the Autumn. I should have bookmarked them. Obviously that was only one factor though, the Kent variant seems to have trumped all the others.

Bob, I think and hope it won't come to that as pubs are likely to be reopened with social distancing, first alfresco and later indoors, as was the case last year. The difference will be that the over 65s might feel a bit more confident about visiting without putting their lives in danger. The vaccinations will simply reduce the risk factor to what will hopefully be an acceptable level for most. That means more customers and retired people like myself are more likely to visit pubs on weekdays during working hours for a meal and a drink which will be a big plus for the publicans. Before Covid I used to meet up with a couple of friends for a walk once a month or so. We would usually meet for coffee first, do our walk and then have a late lunch at a pub afterwards. Once fully vaccinated I would be pretty happy to go back to doing that again - can hardly wait actually! Also Mrs B and I would go down to the coast at least once a week for a walk followed by a fish & chip meal and that would also be back on the cards. Roll on Spring!

I think I will be happy to get a takeaway coffee and sit on a bench on the seafront.  Without checking for coppers first!  Note - 99% of the time I stay standing even if loads of others are sitting around.  On a couple of occasions, I have taken a tough titty attitude to the rules and sat down, both occasions were due to leg pain at the time so I didn’t give a monkeys!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Ian, There was a report not long before Christmas which identified foreign holidays by literally hundreds of thousands of Brits as being a significant factor in the increase in infections as variants

Have you got the link?

Brits holidaying abroad was basically ended by the end of August due to the quarantine restrictions on return. I do not dispute the increase in variants probably being due to foreign travel. But it's the UK population who are transmitting it. 

I can find no data to support UK holidaymakers returning in July or August significantly if at all increased the spread of the virus.  Maybe your report will clarify

• Like 1

I can't recall the exact report, but I think these were typical of what I saw:

https://www.ft.com/content/2782655a-0441-4d38-bb03-5c4e67ead110

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7709189/

And there were a lot of reports relating to Zakynthos, for example:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53993399

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/18690586.30-zante-linked-coronavirus-cases-wales/

There is probably a lot more if you want to do some digging. The Zakynthos situation was particularly interesting to us as we were originally booked to be on the Greek mainland a few miles away opposite the Island at the time!

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

I can't recall the exact report, but I think these were typical of what I saw:

https://www.ft.com/content/2782655a-0441-4d38-bb03-5c4e67ead110

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7709189/

And there were a lot of reports relating to Zakynthos, for example:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53993399

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/18690586.30-zante-linked-coronavirus-cases-wales/

There is probably a lot more if you want to do some digging. The Zakynthos situation was particularly interesting to us as we were originally booked to be on the Greek mainland a few miles away opposite the Island at the time!

But where is it saying there were significant numbers returning with the virus. 30 returning from Zante out of a population of 70 million is hardly significant. If you had sent them to the Leicester area at the time the result would probably have been worse. Probably the same today as well. Your opinion of Holidays is your right and so is mine. Lets close the subject now and in the future and not bore the other members any more.

Ian

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this, maybe we need some general discussion threads on various themes !

I had an Easter trip booked, out on Normandie on one ticket and return on MSM on another. As soon as the cancellations of the Normandie passenger bookings was announced I asked for a refund on both tickets.

Got a pretty immediate response cancelling the tickets and full refunds a couple of days later.

An excellent service and does highlight that there is no disadvantage (only advantages) in buying single tickets.

ps - Nice to see the forum return.

• Like 1