Holiday Bookings for Summer 2021

7 hours ago, nodwad said:

Dave& paully it has been on the television for the past few days.stay safe

But Nodwad, you specifically said that the information came from forum members, not the TV.

You implied that people on here were claiming certain vaccines might be less effective against certain strains.

You believed we thought that our intellectual ability was far superior to the real experts.

I don't think anyone actually suggested that but we do have opinions formed from what we read and hear from a range of official and unofficial sources.

Rest assured that when it comes to travelling with dogs WE bow down to YOU and your extensive experience. 

Ed. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hong Kong has had the benefit of dealing with SARS which at the time they treated as an atypical pneumonia. It killed 10% of the population of Amoy Gardens after it nearly wiped out the Prince of Wale

Loose talk! We will never get to the situation where 'everybody has been vaccinated' as people cannot be compelled to have it and making it compulsory simply isn't on the cards. I get really fed

It's not COVID per se that's causing the problem but the uncertainty. I'm afraid the only option is for all those companies in the tourist industry to band together and put pressure on those gove

On 07/02/2021 at 20:17, nodwad said:

Here me thinking this was enthusats web page.low and behold we must have the best brains in the scientific world amongst the members of this page .

You then compound this untrue drivel, by specifically naming two members of this forum, myself being one of them. As ED has explained above you`re wrong. To call out people like that is very wrong. I and I`m sure David expect a forum apology at the very least. If not I hope the Mods delete it .

9 hours ago, nodwad said:

Dave& paully it has been on the television for the past few days.stay safe

I don't really get what the flap is about. Someone has cottoned on to the fact that viruses mutate. 

That's history, not news.

Viruses have mutated for tens of millions of years, ever since the planet rotated and long before we Homo Sapiens stood upright and is why we have Covid 19 in the first place...

It's a mutation of SARS which no one in the west bothered to make a vaccine for because it didn't get here... but that is a debate for a different time.

The bottom line is that the AZ vaccine cuts down critical illness and hospital admission regardless of what strain you are infected with... 22% is better than 0% and, as has been reported, also severely hampers transmission.

Mutating viral vaccinations always need a tweak to offer consistent potency, as an example, the flu jab every year is different... the Northern Hemisphere flu jab is determined by what is being seen in the Southern Hemisphere.

I suggest we'll see the same with Covid, we'll possibly have an annual booster jab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is 

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Don't, whatever you do, think you can book an exotic summer holiday. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9237963/The-elaborate-summer-holiday-plans-likely-cancel-says-Van-Tam.html

If you do, the deputy chief medical officer will send his evil Belgian, Kung Fu-kicking, twin brother round to punish you.

Ed

Is that the worst site ever for adverts the number flashing up sends me dizzy

The South African study is questionable with a 95% uncertainty interval. This means it could be totally ineffective (0%) to 58% effective. The original benchmark for vaccine acceptance was 50%. The study is not published even in preprint, the information comes from slides in a presentation. Almost the same time (miraculously?!), an announcement the Pfizer vaccine is apparently not affected - suggested with evidence pending. 

Politics / money at play in South Africa and other nations who are now expressing doubts about the AZ version, not the health of people. Knowing the pharmaceutical industry and the billions of spondulicks involved, there is probably a pen, notepad and golf weekend involved somewhere for someone.

The same mutation in the S.A. strain that has everyone running, has also be found in the UK mutant at least twice. Several of the same mutations have happened independently which indicates that the virus would optimise along this path anyway which we have to let play out because the virus is not going to respond to a good talking to. 

A recent paper has shown that common viruses today that still need treating like Herpes, first infected our ancestors around 2 million years ago. They are so endemic to life - animal, plant and bacterial - that past mutations of many ancient viruses still live in us today as around 8% of our DNA (not genes). 

We are still early into this virus and further mutations could go either way. These vaccinations are the first step on learning to live with SARS-CoV-2, not a silver bullet or the final result.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, IanN said:

Is that the worst site ever for adverts the number flashing up sends me dizzy

If you are not using Safari try the uBlock Origins by Raymond Hill extension / add-on for all good computer based browsers.

Simple, lightweight and speeds up ad heavy sites like the DM. It is safe, the code is published on Github if you feel so inclined to look at it. Important, it has to be this version as other uBlock extensions are available mimicking the original which are not as effective. For sites you wish to support who use advertising, you can turn it on / off by site. There is more advanced functionality if you want it too.

For Chrome based browsers (Chrome, Brave, Iridium etc) find it at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en-GB 10m+ users

For FireFox based users - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/. 5m+ users

If you are happy to use a different browser then try the Brave browser as it blocks ads, trackers, browser fingerprinting etc by default. Based on Chromium, all Chrome extensions /add-ons will work too, but is more privacy orientated than Chrome. https://brave.com.

On Safari desktop try Ghostery Lite (free) or Ghostery (Paid). Or don't use Safari as not that good for this type of thing.

For Safari on Apple iPad, iPhone etc, download the Firefox Focus app, and then enable it in settings under Content Blockers. That helps reduce ads. Or use the Brave browser app.

On Android try Bromite. 

HTH someone.

7 hours ago, Paully said:

You then compound this untrue drivel, by specifically naming two members of this forum, myself being one of them. As ED has explained above you`re wrong. To call out people like that is very wrong. I and I`m sure David expect a forum apology at the very least. If not I hope the Mods delete it .

Sorry did not mean to upset anyone.i only responded to what anyone could see.if I offended anyone I apologise for my remarks .which were not intended to cause offence,stay safe

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Shipping Forecast said:

if you are not using Safari try the uBlock Origins by Raymond Hill extension / add-on for all good computer based browsers.

Off subject but-

Been using uBlock origins running with  MS Edge since Edge came out. Works a treat. A great "must have"

Stu

On 07/02/2021 at 21:10, cvabishop said:

I think things will remain rather uncertain for two or three weeks yet but afer that the options may become clearer.

God! I do so hope you are right. We had the Pfizer jab a week ago (no after effects whatsoever) and have been told we should get the 2nd dose in late March. We had a holiday booking for early March crossing Pompey-Caen but have cancelled it thanks to very stringent travel restrictions in France. We are now keeping our fingers well and truly crossed that the same won't happen in mid April when we are again due to travel to the Limoges area for a couple of weeks. Hopefully our jabs may count in our favour.🤞

1 hour ago, Shipping Forecast said:

If you are not using Safari try the uBlock Origins by Raymond Hill extension / add-on for all good computer based browsers.

Simple, lightweight and speeds up ad heavy sites like the DM. It is safe, the code is published on Github if you feel so inclined to look at it. Important, it has to be this version as other uBlock extensions are available mimicking the original which are not as effective. For sites you wish to support who use advertising, you can turn it on / off by site. There is more advanced functionality if you want it too.

For Chrome based browsers (Chrome, Brave, Iridium etc) find it at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en-GB 10m+ users

For FireFox based users - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/. 5m+ users

If you are happy to use a different browser then try the Brave browser as it blocks ads, trackers, browser fingerprinting etc by default. Based on Chromium, all Chrome extensions /add-ons will work too, but is more privacy orientated than Chrome. https://brave.com.

On Safari desktop try Ghostery Lite (free) or Ghostery (Paid). Or don't use Safari as not that good for this type of thing.

For Safari on Apple iPad, iPhone etc, download the Firefox Focus app, and then enable it in settings under Content Blockers. That helps reduce ads. Or use the Brave browser app.

On Android try Bromite. 

HTH someone.

It's not a big deal I normally just don't bother going back to the site again. This one just seemed so excessive that it probably defeats the advertisers objectives

1 hour ago, IanN said:

This one just seemed so excessive that it probably defeats the advertisers objectives

When will the advertisers realise this, sometimes less is more, it doesn't help when you see adverts for what you've already bought, that's one for the websites Algorithms don't work.

We’ve decided to stay U.K. for 2021 holidays. Booked with Parkdean for may half term and October half term. Money is in my savings for an august holiday abroad if we’re allowed or U.K. holiday restrictions dependent that we will book closer to the time 

BF maybe missing a trick to get cash flowing in, I discovered TUI released 2022 much earlier than they normally do, and offering fairly decent discounts, as a result we’ve just booked a all inclusive deal for our family of 8 to Spain in October half term 2022 for less than half the pre covid rates for a similar October half term holiday. (I look every year for October half terms)

Edited by richwarwicker
10 hours ago, Penlan said:

We had the Pfizer 3 weeks ago - I am not even thinking of booking a ferry.

I think this could be another write off year.

Rhys

In my opinion it will soon be time to let go. Once the most vulnerable have been vaccinated then the restrictions should be lifted and covid be treated like the flu. This thing will keep mutating and to keep locking down for every new variant means we might as well forget schools, Pub's, restaurants hotels etc. ever re-opening. There are 48 counties in the UK so we could have potentially 48 variants. Multiply this across all countries in the world and the number of possible variants is phenomenal. 

So don't just write off this year but next year, the year after and so on if the current policy is maintained.

Ten years for falsifying a form! The powers that be have lost the plot. The only answer they seem to have to the problem is to increase restrictions. Any problem in future will be solved by locking down the country and closing borders.

Rant over 

• Like 7

I concur Ian..Quite so. The pressure from the Travel Industry Europe wide is now immense with lobbying going off daily. I`d put money on the travel situation, by say May, to be very different to how it is now. Its a virus, you cannot suppress it forever. You have to learn to live with it. It won`t go away.

• Like 5
Just now, Paully said:

I concur Ian..Quite so. The pressure from the Travel Industry Europe wide is now immense with lobbying going off daily. I`d put money on the travel situation, by say May, to be very different to how it is now. Its a virus, you cannot suppress it forever. You have to learn to live with it. It won`t go away.

Paully

Travel is part of it but do we lock down borders each year for flu? Some experts seem to think that as flu has been supressed this year the flu vaccine next year will not be as effective as they will only be able to modify it based on two year old variants. So if flu is bad next year can we expect lockdown?

• Like 1

The whole point of lockdown was supposed to be to save lives and save the NHS. If the vulnerable have been vaccinated, then the most likely to suffer should be as safe as they can be, the NHS should see a big reduction in pressure and Lockdown should no longer be needed. Come March and April, when the birds and bees start driving the cycle of life again, any push by politicians to keep us contained when the threat has been managed to a reasonably practicable level will come up against the biological drive. Governments would be wise to at that point to restrain their impulses and remember they govern by the will of the people. 

• Like 3

There is a difference between a lockdown and a drawbridge.

Now that we have decent testing capacity, reasonable track and trace and limited citizens abroad, we could isolate as an Island for a while and have decent freedom at home. 
I can’t see Europe letting us in for a while anyway, especially France who seem determined to make post Brexit Life difficult for us.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, David Williams said:

especially France who seem determined to make post Brexit Life difficult for us.

I think some of you have worked out by now that I find this attitude misguided and sad.

• Like 2

Yes, I very much fear you are right. I just hope that France decides to see homeowners as having a justifiable need to go across and check their houses and pay bills. The tax office in Cap Breton has now been chasing me for four years for tax and sends all the demands and summons to my house in France. The fact that I do not own a house in Cap Breton and have never even been there does not seem to alter their demands and last year they drained my bank account. I got the money back, but only because I could get all the details and shout in person. I have a responsibility to pay bills and maintain my property, it is not really possible to do all of that from hundreds of miles away.

21 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Now that we have decent testing capacity, reasonable track and trace and limited citizens abroad, we could isolate as an Island for a while and have decent freedom at home

But what happens after a while? We open up and we will have no immunity to the constantly changing virus. A vaccine for new variants seems to be six months behind will this improve? Others on here probably know better than me but I doubt it

A while will become for ever 

This is just my opinion I claim no medical knowledge.

Just now, colin said:

I think some of you have worked out by now that I find this attitude misguided and sad.

I hope you are right, but I have often found in life that the Godfather line of 'its not personal, its business' rings true for some people. Paying for COVID is going to be tricky. Governments have been writing checks that their citizens can not cash and we all know what happens when the cows come home to roost. Just looking at the Vaccine mess last week, gives me some indication as to what to expect when the politicians need to divert blame.

However hopefully the French will take the view of encourage people over to get 'new' money into the country. If I were Macron, I would have offered the British some form of restricted right to live and work or at least done retirement visas to encourage people over. It would have given him the moral upper hand and brought in some investment.

• Like 1