Holiday Bookings for Summer 2021

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hong Kong has had the benefit of dealing with SARS which at the time they treated as an atypical pneumonia. It killed 10% of the population of Amoy Gardens after it nearly wiped out the Prince of Wale

Loose talk! We will never get to the situation where 'everybody has been vaccinated' as people cannot be compelled to have it and making it compulsory simply isn't on the cards. I get really fed

It's not COVID per se that's causing the problem but the uncertainty. I'm afraid the only option is for all those companies in the tourist industry to band together and put pressure on those gove

France has zero desire to "punish" the UK, and no interest whatsoever in pursuing any such policy. There is a sadness about the Brexit decision, and a lot of difficulty understanding how it was arrived at. Across the EU there is a sense that the UK continues to bluster rather than sit down and talk turkey, but France and other EU countries will not hold up access for UK citizens beyond what is deemed medically responsible. The pace of vaccination across the EU will of course have a bearing.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Sadly the pace of vaccination across France is in line with their favourite gastropodic snack. 

Ed

True ish, but look what happened when they turboed a Renault 5.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, colin said:

France has zero desire to "punish" the UK, and no interest whatsoever in pursuing any such policy. There is a sadness about the Brexit decision, and a lot of difficulty understanding how it was arrived at. Across the EU there is a sense that the UK continues to bluster rather than sit down and talk turkey, but France and other EU countries will not hold up access for UK citizens beyond what is deemed medically responsible. The pace of vaccination across the EU will of course have a bearing.

As I say, I hope that you are right and that I am wrong. Whilst the EU will make recommendations for third Country access, it is totally up to individual Countries what rules are applied. We will see how 'helpful' France is to UK citizens when our infection rates come down. It is not just a question of punishment, it is also a question of how helpful the French will be to their neighbours.

35 minutes ago, colin said:

France has zero desire to "punish" the UK, and no interest whatsoever in pursuing any such policy.

When you say that do you mean the French people or the Politicians? No doubt the ordinary Frenchman wishes us no harm but can you say the same for some in Paris and Brussels?

We hope to get to France some time this year but I don't see it happening unless a very quick trip. 

The Travel companies want everything open again but how did we get Covid in the first place? There were no restrictions to travel anywhere in the World, could this change in future?  I think money will talk and free travel will be allowed, probably to soon.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Solo said:

We hope to get to France some time this year but I don't see it happening unless a very quick trip. 

For us, the opposite is true - i.e. if we get out to France, it will only be worth it for a long trip given the testing regimes. 

3 minutes ago, Solo said:

can you say the same for some in Paris and Brussels?

I can, despite what a slice of the UK press and a bunch of self serving politicians want to tell you.

• Like 2

I don't wish to rain on a parade but on BBC Breakfast this morning for anyone who hasn't heard.

"The transport secretary has raised the prospect of international travel being outlawed until all UK adults have been vaccinated. 

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Grant Shapps said travelling abroad would depend on "everybody having their vaccinations” in the UK – and potentially abroad."

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ravel-home-abroad-covid-uk-b1800163.html.

• Shocked 1
8 minutes ago, Shipping Forecast said:

I don't wish to rain on a parade but on BBC Breakfast this morning for anyone who hasn't heard.

"The transport secretary has raised the prospect of international travel being outlawed until all UK adults have been vaccinated. 

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Grant Shapps said travelling abroad would depend on "everybody having their vaccinations” in the UK – and potentially abroad."

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ravel-home-abroad-covid-uk-b1800163.html.

I assume he means fully vaccinated as in having the prescribed dosage of shots of the vaccine .

Loose talk! We will never get to the situation where 'everybody has been vaccinated' as people cannot be compelled to have it and making it compulsory simply isn't on the cards.

I get really fed up with these politicians spouting obvious nonsense and simply showing their own ignorance.

HMG is virtue signalling with its talk of 10 years in jail etc. (very unlikely that anyone would get that length of prison term). It's just a distraction from the massive mistake they have made in not introducing controls earlier and actually monitoring whether people self isolate. They veer from one extreme to the other and say something different every other day.

Most politicians are not terribly intelligent really and lack the ability to make sound judgements and we are seeing that in spades!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I think Grant Shapps has just over stepped the mark. There is a rude word that I expressed when I read that article. We are supposed to be making risk based and science based decisions and if this Gov thinks it can strip our freedoms away just because it is too lazy or timid to take proper decisions, then it is in for a shock.

Having said that, it would not be the first time Grant Shapps has made pronouncements and then they have had to be retracted a few days later. I suspect if I were the travel industry and what he said turned out to be true, then I would be ending any serious schedules or activity with the UK. Better to go intra EU and shut down UK travel businesses before any more cash is lost.

• Like 2

We have a BF booking for August. I'm still optimistic about it going ahead. It's 6 months away, much can change. A year ago we were only just starting to deal with emerging cases, and there were the issues around skiers returning from Italy. The situation can change quickly either way. I work for an organisation that has members of staff that are members of the sage committee, and our internal updates have been relatively upbeat about the short to medium term.

In respect of what ministers are saying, it's cautious, and probably working to the reasonable worst case scenario, which is what they have to plan for, however likely or unlikely that situation is.

I think the public have been overpromised and under-delivered by well meaning govt optimism in the recent past with the virus, and think they do well to tow a more cautious line. At last. 

It's a crying shame that politicians ego's and political point scoring is getting in the way of progress being made domestically and internationally.

I was talking to a family member recently who lives on the Orkney Islands. It sounds like they've been terribly impacted as they rely so much on tourism that just hasn't travelled.  They get a number of cruise ships normally visiting, but instead they have watched some of the smaller boats that visit disappear of to the beaches this last year too, and so the future looks uncertain too. 

Edited by Tumnus2010
  • Like 1

A rather sweeping statement.

And one borne out by a lifetime's observation.

As in most walks of life, there are exceptional people, but most of us are around the average in IQ and ability. Politicians are different in that they have an inbuilt drive to get themselves into positions of influence and exercise power over others or enrich themselves (or both!) Yes, there are those who go into politics for more noble reasons but they rarely seem to make it to the top do they?

Grant Shapps and Gavin Williamson are actually often quite juvenile in their behaviour. They hold major offices of state beyond their intellectual ability as is very obvious. Boris Johnson was a total disaster as Foreign Secretary but he's now Prime Minister with all his talents for making bad judgements fully intact.

So often you listen to them and ponder 'what were they thinking of?' Well, sometimes not very much really. The mistakes being made in the handling of Covid have been pretty obvious to any halfway intelligent individual but still they keep making them!

It must be driving the medical professionals mad behind the scenes!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

And one borne out by a lifetime's observation.

As in most walks of life, there are exceptional people, but most of us are around the average in IQ and ability. Politicians are different in that they have an inbuilt drive to get themselves into positions of influence

I guess that you consider that Comrade Corbyn was the exception that proved your rule

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Loose talk! We will never get to the situation where 'everybody has been vaccinated' as people cannot be compelled to have it and making it compulsory simply isn't on the cards.

I get really fed up with these politicians spouting obvious nonsense and simply showing their own ignorance.

HMG is virtue signalling with its talk of 10 years in jail etc. (very unlikely that anyone would get that length of prison term). It's just a distraction from the massive mistake they have made in not introducing controls earlier and actually monitoring whether people self isolate. They veer from one extreme to the other and say something different every other day.

Most politicians are not terribly intelligent really and lack the ability to make sound judgements and we are seeing that in spades!

You have to remember how politicians get where they are, they ass lick their way up the party ladder until they get selected to stand as a candidate and if they are in the right party in the right seat they are in for life, this works for both main parties.  It's then a case of creeping to who ever is leader and they get a job they have no qualifications for.  I don't see a way around this, if we have some sort of PR we still get the same idiots at the top of each parties list of candidates.  Our County Council justify a pay rise by saying in will encourage a better mix of candidates, I live in a safe seat, so to get elected I would have to persuade the local party committee that I am better than their current councillor, so it doesn't matter what the pay is no one else is likely to get elected.

The talk of 10 years in jail comes from the law this is attached to, apparently this has been added to an existing law about lying to officials which has a punishment up to 10 years, it made a good headline but no sensible Judge, where would you find one of them, would impose that sentence.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, David Williams said:

Won't be long before we get the BF response - I guess that they will cancel the Easter passenger sailings within a couple of weeks and then roll cancellations forward a month in advance until the situation changes ( like last year) 

They already have the money in the bank for these crossings which they will not want to refund. I hope you are right about cancelations but they may argue that the boats are sailing and not cancel

Perhaps we could all just try to send out an air of calm and competence in the direction of politicians north and south of the ditch, gently bringing them to the understanding that working together on health issues is so much better for all of us than trying to score cheap points for a domestic audience.

We need some kind of mental energy generator.

If we could prevail, then we would at least know we could wait in confidence for announcements about travel and holidays, instead of the current chaos, mis-information and speculation.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IanN said:

They already have the money in the bank for these crossings which they will not want to refund. I hope you are right about cancelations but they may argue that the boats are sailing and not cancel

There are a number of ships that are planned to return just before Easter (Bretagne, Pont Aven, Cap Finistere, Barfleur) and a couple that will switch to passenger duty ( Amorique, Normandie).

BF will need to be making plans for the crews quite soon if they will be restarting,

27 minutes ago, David Williams said:

BF will need to be making plans for the crews quite soon if they will be restarting,

The government needs to give them clear direction along with the rest of the leisure industry. If Easter is off limits then say so and take the flack that this will cause. Good luck to keeping lockdown in place past this date anyway.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, IanN said:

The government needs to give them clear direction along with the rest of the leisure industry. If Easter is off limits then say so and take the flack that this will cause. Good luck to keeping lockdown in place past this date anyway.

Surely and sadly how can anybody accurately predict the progress of this dreadful disease which claimed the life of  a close member of my family 10 days ago.

People talk about the problems  it is causing the leisure industry but let us not forget the it was the leisure industry that was one the causes of the early rise in infections with a party returning from an Italian ski holiday a year ago.

We should keep our borders secure, even if not closed, until such time as the spread of infections is a fraction of what it is today. Or do we subscribe to the concept that the future of the ferry companies,  airlines, hotels, pubs and restaurants is more important than the health of our nation and the education of our children?  The future of our schools and the NHS are far more important than commercial/corporate profit much of which will go to out of UK companies.

• Like 2

A virus we can never defeat..the more you lock down the more you self defeat..you kill off the hopes dreams and aspirations of maybe a generation..Herd immunity is the only way having protected those most vulnerable..There are those who suggest we lockdown until the virus is zero...

They are the ones I save my utter contempt for..they understand nothing..sadly they walk among us.Thankfully though not on here👍

• Like 1