Holiday Bookings for Summer 2021

25 minutes ago, IanN said:

Where did I treat it with contempt or call it idiotic. I just believe that to keep locking down will not solve the problem just keep pushing it out into the future at some point we will need to accept it is there and learn to live with it. Currently I think the majority of the people support lockdown but that will change and when it does then the policy becomes unenforceable. So another option is required as I and probably many others do not want to spend the rest of their lives with the threat of lockdown hanging over them specially if they see themselves as low risk

You did not treat it with contempt and apologies if you thought that I implied that you did (it was another post that did), I was just responding to your post at the time.

I'm no fan of lockdowns and have been open to the "dealing with it while protecting the vulnerable" approach from day one. It seems to me that we have the worst of both worlds here in the UK. We don't lock down hard enough to save lives in the same way they have down under and we never return to normal life. Yet, despite this, my daughter was out of school for more than a third of last year and i suspect this year will be the same or worse.   

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hong Kong has had the benefit of dealing with SARS which at the time they treated as an atypical pneumonia. It killed 10% of the population of Amoy Gardens after it nearly wiped out the Prince of Wale

Loose talk! We will never get to the situation where 'everybody has been vaccinated' as people cannot be compelled to have it and making it compulsory simply isn't on the cards. I get really fed

It's not COVID per se that's causing the problem but the uncertainty. I'm afraid the only option is for all those companies in the tourist industry to band together and put pressure on those gove

13 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

You did not treat it with contempt and apologies if you thought that I implied that you did (it was another post that did), I was just responding to your post at the time.

I'm no fan of lockdowns and have been open to the "dealing with it while protecting the vulnerable" approach from day one. It seems to me that we have the worst of both worlds here in the UK. We don't lock down hard enough to save lives in the same way they have down under and we never return to normal life. Yet, despite this, my daughter was out of school for more than a third of last year and i suspect this year will be the same or worse.   

No problem I think everybody is fed up with the situation and as it says at the top of the thread it can get heated.

My son and daughter are 35 so well past school. 3 grandkids pre school and one started last September so not to too much impact. Lockdown does not really bother me or the wife as we are both retired just miss the grandkids. It is not for our benefit that I think it should be only used as a last resort not the only resort. (Both my kids and their partners can work from home so again minimum effect) Its the likes of your daughter who will bear the impact

• Thanks 1
On 11/02/2021 at 12:39, VikingVoyager said:

They walk across the whole of Australia and NZ (they also get to go to the pub)...

Which is very easy to do when you are at the bottom of a cul de sac. Europe and in particular the UK, have very different geography and population centres. We sit at the centre of East/West world traffic. London is a world hub and trading centre. Total Aus population is 25M..London alone has over 9M. Sorry but thats like comparing apples with pears.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Paully said:

Which is very easy to do when you are at the bottom of a cul de sac. Europe and in particular the UK, have very different geography and population centres. We sit at the centre of East/West world traffic. London is a world hub and trading centre. Total Aus population is 25M..London alone has over 9M. Sorry but thats like comparing apples with pears.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the approach ins't easier to instigate in Australia where very nearly everyone comes in by air. Their economy, of course, is very interlinked with the rest of the world.  Absolute population numbers have very little to do with it though (as Japan and South Korea show).

The UK does have the luxury of almost no land border with the outside world.  If the government chose to, it could lockdown until virus levels were in the double or treble digits and then go forward from there. Of course, that's much harder now than it was a year ago or even seven months ago. Still, it's a valid approach, at least in my eyes

Perhaps its worth putting into context...So far the estimates of death worldwide for Covid is over 2M people. Each one a tragedy. But if you look deeper you find that every year 1.7M people die from TB and again every year more than 1M die from Malaria.These happen year on year. Equally each of these deaths is a personal tragedy for some poor souls.

The difference of course is that the latter two are only found, in large numbers, in the Third World. Covid is the first of its kind to affect the First World. If only we could accept things as stoically here as they do there.

• Like 2

I think the government have to extrapolate the data of hospitalisations versus vaccinations and give the industry a rough timeline. Otherwise it's game over. One summer written off is survivable for the leisure industry, two is not. I worry what we have left is mission creep with no credible exit strategy. If the vaccines are all that they have been touted to be then giving a rough timeline to unlock should not be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Paully said:

,London has 9 million people. Hong Kong has 7 million - and that too is a world hub and trading centre.

HongKong has had only 191 Covid deaths.

Which of those two cities has handled the pandemic badly and which has handled it well? 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, wortley said:

,London has 9 million people. Hong Kong has 7 million - and that too is a world hub and trading centre.

Which of those two cities has handled the pandemic badly and which has handled it well? 

Which city saw no lockdown illegal social gatherings ?

2 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

Which city saw no lockdown illegal social gatherings ?

The one thing a lot of Far East countries had is that they have had Sars or similar before and the people know how to react, it's the first time for us for a hundred years.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Paully said:

If only we could accept things as stoically here as they do there

Sorry, but I do not much like that comment. People in under developed countries have no choice, no facilities, no medicines ... whereas we have very advanced health systems. Should we not try to offer them the choices we have rather than suggesting we should stoically accept unnecessary deaths?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, wortley said:

Hong Kong has had the benefit of dealing with SARS which at the time they treated as an atypical pneumonia. It killed 10% of the population of Amoy Gardens after it nearly wiped out the Prince of Wales hospital it started in and then spread to the community. 

Most of the population of Hong Kong already have a degree of protection as Covid is essentially SARS 2.

Have a read of the Department of Health of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Regional Government and the prevention and control measures they put in place and have been set in stone for the past 20 years just waiting for another similar outbreak, they are very similar to what we have now.

The harsh reality is that Covid is mild and kills a very small proportion of those infected so unlike the far more deadly SARS COV and even deadlier MERS COV it'll be around for a very long time.

The lockdowns are to protect the hospitals nothing more because over the years we've closed too many of them and don't have the staff to work in the ones we still have.

I'm sick & tired of the points scoring. New Zealand for crying out loud, It's the Southern hemisphere... the height of summer. A country totalling around 27 million hectares of which nearly 50% is empty farm land and 5 million people to roam around in perfect isolation. 

It wasn't that long ago that everyone was saying how well Germany were doing and their wonderful health service etc, those voices have strangely gone very quiet as their death toll is now higher than Spain's with nearly a third less cases overall. 

Back on topic... I've now made 5 holiday bookings for this year and me and my antibodies will enjoy every one of them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
13 hours ago, jonno said:

I've now made 5 holiday bookings for this year and me and my antibodies will enjoy every one of them.

We have booked, April, (now cancelled) May (probably will be cancelled at the end of this month) June is currently being planed and September will be booked tomorrow. This I think probably goes against the majority of opinions on here re the likelihood of travel but being optimistic is much better than being pessimistic. April and May were the same locations June and September will be different due to the temperature. What else is there to do on a freezing cold day?   

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, IanN said:

What else is there to do on a freezing cold day?   

Good point!  I've just spent the last hour looking at options with Cabin-girl and amazingly we both seem to agree, at least on the destination even if we differ on the choice of accommodation. 

Ed

June will not I fear be an issue but accommodation in September may be so we will book some hotels (pay on departure)

Crossing is already booked as It normally fills up with us snowbirds very quickly. Probably on the Spanish side of the border with France which should be reasonably quiet.

19 minutes ago, IanN said:

This I think probably goes against the majority of opinions on here re the likelihood of travel but being optimistic is much better than being pessimistic. April and May were the same locations June and September will be different due to the temperature. What else is there to do on a freezing cold day?   

I agree Ian. We're hoping to reschedule our May Spanish trip for September, my sister and her husband are more than happy to do this. Our plan was to stay at the campsite facing the sea shore at Comillas then pootle around the usual hotspots which they've not visited, Santillana del Mar, Potes and maybe a ride on the cable car.

For others we've erred on the side of caution and opted for U.K. destinations, Plockton, Arran, Devon and a nostalgic return to Corfe Castle.

Having the motorhome and a huge inflatable driveaway awning which can be used as stand alone 6 berth tent means my sister etc can leave their tent at home so for now we only need book a single pitch with an extra car and can keep ourselves to ourselves if needs be.

16 minutes ago, jonno said:

Having the motorhome and a huge inflatable driveaway awning which can be used as stand alone 6 berth tent means my sister etc can leave their tent at home so for now we only need book a single pitch with an extra car and can keep ourselves to ourselves if needs be.

It sounds like you've got the castle sorted. Now you just need to dig the moat and erect a drawbridge to keep the locals out.

Ed

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

It sounds like you've got the castle sorted. Now you just need to dig the moat and erect a drawbridge to keep the locals out.

Ed

That's sorted and the burning oil... for the BBQ of course.

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, jonno said:

Plockton, Arran

Plockton is lovely. It has become a bit better known recently, but still seems to retain its charm. As for Arran, I climbed Goat Fell when I was about 11. We lived on the beach at Barassie (Troon) looking across the Firth of Clyde at Arran through the seasons. Beautiful.

• Like 3

I don't think we will be booking anything until:

A. We can be sure we will be permitted to go.

B. Travel will be definitely available and relatively hassle free (and no risk of unexpected quarantine on return)

C. We will be able to enjoy a normal holiday experience at the destination without undue restrictions. (UK or abroad)

If we just want a bit of sunshine then the conservatory warms up nicely from March onwards.

It cost us over £700 in lost deposits and unrecoverable costs last year, an experience we don't wish to repeat. And we are not in the business of accepting vouchers s a result of kicking the can down the road for future bookings which may or may not go ahead.

So, realistically, maybe April onwards UK day excursions, Summer possibly UK overnight accommodation and just, faintly possible, leaving these shores sometime in the Autumn but I'm certainly not holding my breath on that.

• Like 1

I have return crossings booked for June,half of which is paid for with a Refund Credit Note issued in 2020.Having decided that travel to France is highly unlikely in June ,I asked if the amount paid could be put back on to a Credit Note with the original validity date of May 2022 pending the publication of next years timetables.This not unreasonable request was met with a flat refusal from BF.Not very helpful.

3 minutes ago, colin said:

Plockton is lovely. It has become a bit better known recently, but still seems to retain its charm. As for Arran, I climbed Goat Fell when I was about 11. We lived on the beach at Barassie (Troon) looking across the Firth of Clyde at Arran through the seasons. Beautiful.

The missus and her family are big fans of Plockton, I've never been so I'm looking forward to it. I stayed on the campsite in Lochranza on Arran in the late '90's, I think it was the year the distillery opened across the road from the site. the holiday tied in nicely with The Open at Troon.

That was also the last year we had a tent, I'd had enough of sleeping on hard floors. Bought a Aquafibre Pearl 38 on the Broads which we sold after 4 years that's when we started on the motorhomes. Toyed with the idea of a narrowboat last year, even got as far as designing the interior but shelved that plan, I wanted electric propulsion and a roof covered in very thin solar panels plus a huge bank of lithium batteries, it ended up very expensive.

I'm currently trying (in vain!) to convince the wife that we need a 3 wheel Piaggio MP3 and a trailer to tug behind the van but as I've just bought a lithium power station and all the stuff to go with it for the price of a small used car that idea is long over the horizon!

Never had a trailer tent or caravan...strange one that?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

I'd be morre worried about the terrible subsidence problems and the state of the roof.