Irish Ferries to charter Mega Express 4

On 06/02/2021 at 09:48, Fine Whine said:

I was wondering how Irish Ferries were planning to cover for Ulysses during her forthcoming drydock, and the website still isn't showing a schedule to France from the 15th February onwards. This last minute solution should get them out of a hole......

Chris

https://www.niferry.co.uk/irish-ferries-to-charter-corsican-ferry/

She's now enroute to Dublin.

• Like 2

Thanks Rick but you should know after all....😉

I was on the Epsilon today delivering and the Captain confirmed ME 4 will be slotting in to take over Epsilon’s current schedule, so that’s Dublin - Holyhead during the week with the extra round trip to Cherbourg at the weekend. Dear old Cherbourg is awash with new vessels at the moment and long may it continue. The port was heaving with freight units this afternoon and many drivers I speak to who are heading back to Ireland (they’re not all Irish by the way) reckon they won’t be going back though the U.K. for a long time, if at all.

Out of interest there’s a new rule been introduced here, or maybe an old rule that’s now being rigorously policed, drivers who are at work for more than 2 weeks have to take a 48 hour break. Sleeping in the cab doesn’t count and it’s an immediate €1500 fine...! I had an owner driver in yesterday who’d copped €3000 in cash this week alone - I’m  trying to find a friendly hotelier here who can help.

Chris

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

many drivers I speak to who are heading back to Ireland (they’re not all Irish by the way) reckon they won’t be going back though the U.K. for a long time, if at all.

Excellent.  As you say, Chris, long may it continue.  👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Excellent.  As you say, Chris, long may it continue.  👍

Totally agree, more room on our roads and more space on the U.K ferries.  I don't really understand I.F's decision to charter Mega Express, she's not exactly endowed with freight capacity is she?

1 minute ago, jonno said:

Totally agree, more room on our roads and more space on the U.K ferries.  I don't really understand I.F's decision to charter Mega Express, she's not exactly endowed with freight capacity is she?

I think the article referred to that point but also said there was very little else available on the charter market. 

Ed

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think the article referred to that point but also said there was very little else available on the charter market. 

Ed

Exactly - Irish Ferries were petty desperate.  Plus in the current situation, her capacity is probably enough,

15 hours ago, Macc2010 said:

With ship charters do they come with crew or would IF crew fly out to pick her up and bring her over here?

how does it work with short term charters?

The vast majority of charters are "Time-charters" which means the ship comes with crew (always deck and engine but sometimes also catering) and remains under the management of the owner.  Where and when the ship sails is decided by the charterer.  In BF's case, this applies to the CONNEMARA.

A "bareboat" charter is where the charterer takes over full management and crewing of the ship.  In BF's case, this applies to the ETRETAT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1