A roadmap for Optimism

Going back to being optimistic, I was driving through Rawtenstall yesterday where workmen were constructing a large wooden shelter over a pub car park to enable outside drinking/dining, with around 12 tables arranged under the shelter.

Can’t wait to go out again and this sight along with the warmer weather and brighter evenings cheered me up no end.

• Like 1
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The majority of clots appear to be the ones making decisions to suspend the vaccination programmes. Ed

Quantas have decided to start offering 'mystery flights' whereby passengers don't know their destination until they step on board. Obviously Ryanair have been doing this for years but I wonder whether

As a lifelong BF fan and regular user of their services, we must never forget that in the main it is not the French who patronise BF ferries but the Brits (including Daily Mail readers!). The success

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Solo said:

The thing is at the moment most of us with Campers or Motorhomes are looking at September is the safest bet at the moment.

Hope you are right and the excesses of the summer don't cause more restrictions

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

But that is the pricing model of most transport operators, the last tickets are usually the most expensive.

September may well be a good month for travel.

Yes David I understand this our crossing is now £90.00 more than when we booked but was still pricey at the time. If we had waited till just before departure we would probably would not have been able to get a crossing and the Economy ticket would  be about the same price we paid for the Flexi. 

8 hours ago, Solo said:

The thing is at the moment most of us with Campers or Motorhomes are looking at September is the safest bet at the moment.

Yep, we've cancelled Spain in May and will look again in September, haven't even considered France yet which to be honest is a bit of a shame. Booked a few Brit sites from May onwards.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Solo said:

Eek !!!

As a French resident, it sounds like I’ll go for a bit of self-imposed quarantine around that time.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Solo said:

Eek !!!

As a French resident, it sounds like I’ll go for a bit of self-imposed quarantine around that time.

17 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Sorry about the double “Eek”.

Sadly that's how most of us feel about visiting France at the moment, I've put all thoughts out of my mind until the Autumn.

15 minutes ago, Solo said:

Sadly that's how most of us feel about visiting France at the moment, I've put all thoughts out of my mind until the Autumn.

That gives me more time to sort out the wine for your trip.

Ed

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

That gives me more time to sort out the wine for your trip.

Ed

That's no problem, a quick visit to Super U or a trip to see Chris.

For the first time in 5 months the county of Gloucestershire has no Covid patients in a Critical Care bed.

Applause all round there I think.

• Like 5

As this thread is "roadmap for optimism" I am clinging to the hope for a Brittany holiday in July. I did think that I could change to Spain if that looks more likely to happen in a month or two.

I have recently amended a couple of crossings and each time have received two emails with 2 version numbers, say number 3 & 4, one after the other. Is this a known glitch? 

36 minutes ago, mjturner said:

As this thread is "roadmap for optimism" I am clinging to the hope for a Brittany holiday in July. I did think that I could change to Spain if that looks more likely to happen in a month or two.

I have recently amended a couple of crossings and each time have received two emails with 2 version numbers, say number 3 & 4, one after the other. Is this a known glitch? 

I think we are about on ticket eight. I have noticed that sometimes the confirmation email with ticket is not sent. We then contact BF by phone or live chat. They then send it but it has gone up another issue. I think every time it is sent it up issues.

2 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

France is reporting 35,000 new infections, a 24% increase on last week. This is almost six times the UK rate.

Does anyone really want to get on a ferry just yet?

It's actually a drop of 3,000 on yesterday's total. I'm always impressed at how the numbers manage to jump just when the government want to frighten the population into submission. They have now locked Paris and other nearby departments down for at least 4 weeks. Cue a mass exodus tomorrow morning just like last year although, as the schools are remaining open, probably not families with young children.

Ed

24 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Cue a mass exodus tomorrow morning just like last year although, as the schools are remaining open, probably not families with young children.

Just like we had here last year, from next Monday no one can come here from "X" leading to a rush for everyone to get home, if it's that bad bans should be immediate or they become pointless.

3 minutes ago, Solo said:

Just like we had here last year, from next Monday no one can come here from "X" leading to a rush for everyone to get home, if it's that bad bans should be immediate or they become pointless.

Nobody can leave until 6am tomorrow due to the curfew but they then have a 12 hour window to make their escape.

Ed

3 hours ago, mjturner said:

Booking a few days ago I got a ticket before payment page and a new version after I paid.

4 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Booking a few days ago I got a ticket before payment page and a new version after I paid.

And another one where I didn't proceed to paying sat in my list of bookings and I got a mail saying would be cancelled if I didn't pay deposit by midnight following day.

I do hope that the one month lockdown in Paris etc.. works, the good news is that Spain and Portugal rates are much reduced.

I am really looking forward to our lockdown ending, London has been locked down since mid December.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

am really looking forward to our lockdown ending, London has been locked down since mid December.

You are lucky. Leicester has now effectively done 12 months and is still high.

• Sad 1

France's health agency has now recommended using the AZ vaccine only for those over 55 years of age.

From BFMTV:

La Haute Autorité de Santé recommande de n'utiliser le vaccin AstraZeneca que pour les personnes âgées de 55 ans et plus

La Haute Autorité de Santé recommande de n'utiliser le vaccin AstraZeneca que pour les personnes âgées de 55 ans et plus, a-t-elle indiqué ce vendredi dans un nouvel avis.

----

Ed

1 hour ago, colin said:

If I react and respond, I will get spanked for being political.... Downright sick of certain posters banging on about their personal crusades against Macron, Castex, French government and EU.

If you won't stop. I hope moderation will intervene?

As far as I'm aware those criticising the French gvt live and work in France, they vote, they pay their taxes so they're entitled.

I'd also argue that they're not criticised the EU per se but rather pointing the finger at Brussels in particular. Again why not, they live in the EU and are governed to a large extent by the Belgian city.

Personally I have no problem with members directly criticising gvt employees of the country in which they live, afterall their decisions effect their lives on a very personal level.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

France's health agency has now recommended using the AZ vaccine only for those over 55 years of age.

From BFMTV:

La Haute Autorité de Santé recommande de n'utiliser le vaccin AstraZeneca que pour les personnes âgées de 55 ans et plus

La Haute Autorité de Santé recommande de n'utiliser le vaccin AstraZeneca que pour les personnes âgées de 55 ans et plus, a-t-elle indiqué ce vendredi dans un nouvel avis.

----

Ed

Is this for real  Is it a total about face or am I missing something

4 minutes ago, IanN said:

Is this for real  Is it a total about face or am I missing something

I understand that this is due to those with clots were in the under 55 group and the fact that over 55 is the priority group.

However, mixed messaging is confusing and is definitely causing the vaccination campaigns to slow down. Simple concise messages are important for confidence.

• Like 2
  • Gareth locked this topic