A roadmap for Optimism

23 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Ah! The old Armorique. I loved that ship. I remember standing on the aft deck when the family were all in their bunks and looking at the twin funnels against the night sky en route to St Malo to start one of our Gite holidays. Wonderful days (sigh!)

I remember doing a day crossing with to St. Malo on it when I think there were 2 ships on the route. Long day but must have been cheap.   

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The majority of clots appear to be the ones making decisions to suspend the vaccination programmes. Ed

Quantas have decided to start offering 'mystery flights' whereby passengers don't know their destination until they step on board. Obviously Ryanair have been doing this for years but I wonder whether

As a lifelong BF fan and regular user of their services, we must never forget that in the main it is not the French who patronise BF ferries but the Brits (including Daily Mail readers!). The success

Posted Images

Remember seeing her laid up, I think in the inner harbour at St. Malo, when we were on our way back to Duchesse Anne. She must have been interesting on the Spanish run given her sea keeping reputation. 

It's a somewhat rare positive feeling to have that for once, Britain might be at the head of the curve rather than trailing behind. I'm very grateful that this is the case. I know of many people who have already been jabbed and feel much more confident about life in general as a result. 

We have a BF sailing booked for mid August. Optimistic that it will happen, not the end of the world if it doesn't. More likely that we should finally be able to get to the Scottish Islands later this year, and looking further ahead into sampling the newly refurbished Norrona at somepoint if we can. Plenty of decent ferry travel to be done, if we can! 

• Like 1

Quantas have decided to start offering 'mystery flights' whereby passengers don't know their destination until they step on board. Obviously Ryanair have been doing this for years but I wonder whether it could catch on in the ferry industry. Just think, all of us could get to visit Brest and not just a select few!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56261670

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
29 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Quantas have decided to start offering 'mystery flights' whereby passengers don't know their destination until they step on board. Obviously Ryanair have been doing this for years but I wonder whether it could catch on in the ferry industry. Just think, all of us could get to visit Brest and not just a select few!

Ed

And it seems P&O have decided to run cruises around the UK. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-56263813

Ed

• Like 1

I was doubtful too when I heard the Freeport at Plymouth announcement . " Import materials tax free, add value, export finished products " - and I thought how on earth will that work at Plymouth.

The commercial shipping traffic coming in is so limited - largely petroleum products, animal feed and fertilisers for local distribution. Exports are even more limited too now that the fish trade has dried up. The commercial dock facilities for freight shipping  are limited too and it seems pie in the sky that the MOD is going to give up Devonport dockyard to make way for a container port. Freeport just seemed a slogan to me. 

But the local Plymouth industries and businesses are over the moon and full of enthusiasm and they know far more than I do-  so I had better keep quiet and see how things work out.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this one?

23 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

Wasn't that like St Malo passengers during the summer.  Set off for there and end up in Cherbourg ?!

2 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

Could Free Port mean reviving Plymouth Airport, or have they built houses on it?

Not on now. Loadsa houses. Our friends have a house on "Runway Road".

The road name shows imagination, not! 

4 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Not on now. Loadsa houses. Our friends have a house on "Runway Road".

The road name shows imagination, not! 

A new  development built alongside the airport at the end of the runway back in the late 90's, when the airport was still active is called "Blue Haze Close" !! 🤣 

Edited by colinschandler
2 hours ago, colinschandler said:

A new  development built alongside the airport at the end of the runway back in the late 90's, when the airport was still active is called "Blue Haze Close" !! 🤣 

If they've a Re-Heat Roundabout or Afterburner Avenue I'm moving there... tomorrow!😁

10 minutes ago, jonno said:

If they've a Re-Heat Roundabout or Afterburner Avenue I'm moving there... tomorrow!😁

There's a Customs Close and a Duty-free Drive. But you'll be wanting the Strip-search Street, I suspect. 

Ed

Out of interest, regarding when sailings are resumed, I presume we will be able to go outside to sit.  I prefer being outside, would hate to be stuck indoors the whole crossing.

9 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Out of interest, regarding when sailings are resumed, I presume we will be able to go outside to sit.  I prefer being outside, would hate to be stuck indoors the whole crossing.

We were allowed outside on our 2 trips to Roscoff between LD1 and LD3 when Covid precautions were in place.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jonno said:

In the 80's and 90's, the RNAS had an initial flying training unit based at the airport flying Chipmunks. However I guess that they had their after burners disabled or had the switch taped over!

Brrymon Airways flew Dash 7's  on Plymouth - Newquay- Heathrow which I used several times when i worked for BAe Systems at Plymouth, I don't recall them using Re-Heat. There is a Brymon Way on  the new estate 

52 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

In the 80's and 90's, the RNAS had an initial flying training unit based at the airport flying Chipmunks. However I guess that they had their after burners disabled or had the switch taped over!

Brrymon Airways flew Dash 7's  on Plymouth - Newquay- Heathrow which I used several times when i worked for BAe Systems at Plymouth, I don't recall them using Re-Heat. There is a Brymon Way on  the new estate 

You won't find re heat on a turbo prop, I think it's only the Yanks who call it afterburner. I believe Viking's type certificate for the Dash 8 ends this year, don't know what Bombardier will do with the design after that, sell it to them maybe like they've done with the rest of the DHC's?

There's still 60 odd year old De Havilland Dash 1 Chipmunks flying. Sturdy little beasts.

12 minutes ago, jonno said:

You won't find re heat on a turbo prop, I think it's only the Yanks who call it afterburner. I believe Viking's type certificate for the Dash 8 ends this year, don't know what Bombardier will do with the design after that, sell it to them maybe like they've done with the rest of the DHC's?

There's still 60 odd year old De Havilland Dash 1 Chipmunks flying. Sturdy little beasts.

Sorry Jonno, My quote was my attempt at a humorous response to your quote re Re-Heat Roundabout or Afterburner Avenue

2 hours ago, Khaines said:

I am maybe an optimist on this one but my suspicion is that when travel actually opens up it's because things are fairly stable and safe so it will be largely normal life onboard again.

What I'm less optimistic about is exactly when that will happen and I don't think that date is May.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, colinschandler said:

Sorry Jonno, My quote was my attempt at a humorous response to your quote re Re-Heat Roundabout or Afterburner Avenue

Ah, understood Colin, Cheers!

• Like 1

The re-start is contingent in conditions being suitable in all countries involved (not just the UK).  For that reason, I’m inclined to agree with Rick, that mid-May is optimistic.

By mid May we may see some consensus on vaccine passports or similar which could allow an increase in services, even if not a full restart.

• Like 1

I'm not sure this has been mentioned on this thread.  What is very clear is that the UK (English) Government is totally paranoid about variants of the virus entering the country.  This new measure only comes into effect from Monday.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/declaration-travel-government-exit-permit-b1813070.html

This is why I believe international travel will take longer than May to re-start.

• Gareth locked this topic