Passenger travel to and from France/ Spain

I know I should know the answer to this  question, however, for current Brittany Ferry bookings be it a limited winter timetable,  is this for freight only, are there no passengers traveling too and from EU to U.K due to the COVID pandemic?

Edited by Lofty
  • Lofty changed the title to Passenger travel to and from France/ Spain
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

There is currently a limited service for passengers:

Portsmouth/Caen - Normandie only
Portsmouth/Santander - Galicia

I'm not sure if Ireland/Spain is accepting passengers.

More info at https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/sailing-updates

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

There is currently a limited service for passengers:

Portsmouth/Caen - Normandie only
Portsmouth/Santander - Galicia

I'm not sure if Ireland/Spain is accepting passengers.

More info at https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/sailing-updates

Thank you for that information that has helped a lot 😊

Andy - I believe Connemara is taking passengers (on both the Bilbao and Cherbourg routes).  And, as far as I know, it is MSM that is taking passengers on the Caen route (not Normandie).

The reason I ask is that my husband had a fall and had to have an emergency head operation last year and cannot fly at the moment.

We are currently in Portugal and due to the fact that Portugal is on the Red list it makes it very difficult to get back  home.

If we are going directly to our own property in our own car do we still have to go into a hotel to quarantine?

12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

If we are going directly to our own property in our own car do we still have to go into a hotel to quarantine?

You would need to talk to the UK Embassy, the problems as I see it is will Spain let you in to transit ?

Assuming that they will, you are then subject to UK hotel quarantine if you have been in Portugal within the last n days (10 I think), however you must enter the UK via a designated port & they are all airports !

The legal way around it is to stay in France or Spain for the n days and then you are only due for normal house isolation.

The other way that seemed to work in Scotland is to enter the 'Common Travel Area' via Ireland - I don't know if the English laws have that loophole !

ps - I think that registering with the UK Consulate is very useful whatever you end up doing - they may well be able to assist in other ways.

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry at your predicament, but at the moment quarantine in a UK hotel is required for travellers returning to Uk who have been in Portugal for ten days before arrival. Can you spend ten days in Spain before travelling, or is that border closed? 

Edit. This duplicates DW's comments. He types mote quickly than I do .

Edited by wortley

I would just add to the sage advice of David and Wortley that, I would be very wary of venturing into trying to find “loopholes” where a 10 year jail term is in the equation.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I would just add to the sage advice of David and Wortley that, I would be very wary of venturing into trying to find “loopholes” where a 10 year jail term is in the equation.

The Scottish one was quite funny, the guy connected via Dublin and then landed in Edinburgh, he was initially put into hotel quarantine, however later that day was told that he could switch to house isolation. I was not seriously advocating it, however it does show the issues caused by the Irish Common Travel Area. 

I would never advocate making a false declaration.

• Thanks 1

Some very good advice here.  Best to talk to the Consulate who will be aware of any viable and legal way of achieving this.

Things are going to get harder rather than easier for a while.  This is outbound travel from UK but gives you a flavour of the current attitude to travel

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/international-declaration-travel-passengers-uk-b1806289.html

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your information and advice.

We do have a house in France not far from Roscoff, but we were put off by the long drive with no hotels open and two boarders to cross.

Maybe we had better sit tight a bit longer for things to improve - we feel we have been saying that for a long time - getting homesick now, especially when we are  being called in  for our vaccine in the U.K. 

A couple of points to add:

If you come directly from a red zone country, there are only certain entry points you can use for the UK, none of the ports is one of those entry points.

You can stay in another country for 10 days ebtween Portugal and the UK, providing it's not a red zone country and come back into one of the channel ports.  Spain and France are non-red zone countries.  I'm unsure about the border crossings between Portugal/Spain and Spain/France, you need to check the websites of each country for information.  Hotels are open in France, bear in mind there is currently a curfew operating 6pm-6am in France unless you're travelling for permitted reasons (again check on the government websites for information).  

Before entering the UK you need a PCR test for each of you within 3 days of travel, if you've done the stay in a non red zone country for 10 days things after Portugal, then you won't need to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days, but you will still need to quarantine at home for 10 days, and each of you will need to have pre-booked the post travel PCR test packages (at £210 per person thank you very much).

As others have mentioned, there are passengers permitted on some crossings.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Andy - I believe Connemara is taking passengers (on both the Bilbao and Cherbourg routes).  And, as far as I know, it is MSM that is taking passengers on the Caen route (not Normandie).

Whoops, yes of course it is! 

• Thanks 1

Following on from Lofty’s question,

Is there anyone with first hand experience of the latest UK Govt rules for travelling from France to the UK ?

I have searched numerous websites but get nowhere.

I know we will need to provide BF with a negative Covid-19 test to travel.

I know we will have to fill out the passenger locator form having done so several times  previously.

However it appears I now need a magic number from Corporate Travel Management to complete the Passenger Locator Form, I will receive that number when I’ve paid them a non refundable £210 for two further C-19 tests while I am in quarantine at home for 10 days.

The CTM site says

“The Covid Test Package includes 2 Covid-19 test kits, to use while you complete your period of mandatory quarantine at the UK address you specify on your booking.

Each test kit will include full instructions for use and your test kit will be provided by NHS Test and Trace.

Once confirmed and booked, the Covid Testing Package is non changeable and non–refundable.”

NHS Test and Trace website makes no mention of this scheme and has no answers.

Sounds like DIY tests, but if I’m confined to my house how am I supposed to send them for processing ?

Has anyone actually been through this process  ?

Sorry if this appears boring, but its quite a stressful prospect.

31 minutes ago, BZH29 said:

Sounds like DIY tests, but if I’m confined to my house how am I supposed to send them for processing ?

I can't help with the rest of your query but I maybe can with this part. My daughter has gone back to school for a few periods a week (she's a senior phase pupil in Scotland) and she is self-testing twice a week. I ended up carrying out the test for her last night (swab both tonsils 4 time and then stick the swab up the nose and twist 10 times). The swab is that dipped in liquid and the drops of the liquid are put into a test tray a bit like a home pregnancy test and left for 30 minutes before a result is available. She then has to log the results online and if she was to test positive with this she would then be required to book a test at an NHS test site.

I would be interested in the answer re tests - these are definitely the proper tests as they need to be sequenced if positive to check the variant. I would have thought that they need to be posted (catch 22), however maybe they collect by courier (like some self tests).

Not cheap this  travelling business !.

What am reading on Spanish forum sites a lot of Brits are trying to get back to the uk.the reason is so they can get there jabs over here and not wait there turn in Spain.which I understand is going very slowly and if you know the spaniish not on all areas) the Brits will be the last to get them .so it is no wonder they want to come over for a quick trip and get the vaccine.

Actually, nothing to hide, I'll post here what I sent to BZH29:

I went through this process last week.  You need to book the tests through CTM.  You get the reference number by email that you have to add to the Passenger Locator Form, BF check in staff will check your form at check in now rather than leaving it to the last minute before arriving, if that's what you used to do (I did!)

I booked the CTM tests after I'd had the negative result back on my pre departure test, they arrived on Sunday after booking on Friday.

They are DIY tests, you get both sent to you at the same time with the instructions on how to carry out the test and how to send (via a priority post box).  I can't comment on if you're allowed out to send it if you are isolating (due to my own circumstances), but if there's no other way if sending the test back then you'll have to leave the house! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Thank you for sharing what happens Lapper. Some good advice there.

I emailed NHS and CTM this morning but your message had more info than the NHS response and CTM have yet to reply.

4 hours ago, elaine80 said:

I can't help with the rest of your query but I maybe can with this part. My daughter has gone back to school for a few periods a week (she's a senior phase pupil in Scotland) and she is self-testing twice a week. I ended up carrying out the test for her last night (swab both tonsils 4 time and then stick the swab up the nose and twist 10 times). The swab is that dipped in liquid and the drops of the liquid are put into a test tray a bit like a home pregnancy test and left for 30 minutes before a result is available. She then has to log the results online and if she was to test positive with this she would then be required to book a test at an NHS test site.

@elaine80 I don't know a single doctor who has to perform the same LFT test twice a week who swabs their tonsils, just up the nostrils further than you really want to go!

This has been fantastic reading as I have learnt a lot about what lays ahead when going back to U.K.

I also appreciate that things are changing on  daily basis too.

Could  you please give me the link where I can book the CTM testing for future reference please.

It feels good just talking to friends of BF - I do miss life on board ‘Happy Days’ 😊

22 hours ago, jonno said:

@elaine80 I don't know a single doctor who has to perform the same LFT test twice a week who swabs their tonsils, just up the nostrils further than you really want to go!

The kits being used by the schools require both tonsils and nose to be swabbed.

• Gareth locked this topic
  • Gareth unlocked and locked this topic