Passenger travel to and from France/ Spain

15 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Interesting thought, what would have happened if BF realised just how popular the Spanish route would be and built the Bretagne to a slightly higher capacity...?

I suppose it's how you look at it, compared to the ship she was replacing she was a different world and a huge improvement. It was her popularity on the route that made more and more passengers sail on her... the route out grew her which was made even more impressive as PoB hadn't turned into the bonkers boozy cruiser she was to become so she was very popular too. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

Well, from the reports this morning it looks like foreign travel will be off the agenda until July or such time as the third wave surge in Europe is brought under control so no passenger ferries before then

The July date came from the new regulations coming in on Monday and is meant as a long stop, if there is a plan on traffic lights before then, the restriction on leaving may well be lifted earlier.

There are loads of exemptions in the new rules including :-

7.  Where it is reasonably necessary for P to leave the United Kingdom to undertake any of the following activities in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property—

(a)visiting estate or letting agents, developer sales offices or show homes;

(b)viewing residential properties to look for a property to buy or to rent;

(c)preparing a residential property to move in;

(d)moving house;

(e)to visit a residential property to undertake any activities required for the rental or sale of that property.

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

to visit a residential property to undertake any activities required for the rental or sale of that property.

That looks like the key phrase. You can all come over to your second homes to clean them prior to renting them out to British tourists who are unable to follow you. Problem solved.

Ed

• Haha 1

if there is a plan on traffic lights before then, the restriction on leaving may well be lifted earlier.

Yes, there is some room for flexibility but only if the situation improves. Re the 'traffic lights' - what happens if they change colour away from green while you are away? Will be be caught by quarntine/self isolating on your return as happened last year?

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Here is the full text of the proposed legislation.

It's a bit long and would take you an entire trip on NEX to read through it so you need to skip to Schedule 5 for the list of exemptions.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/364/pdfs/uksi_20210364_en.pdf

Ed

The Janet and John version is https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/364/memorandum/contents

Amidst much confusion and muddled media reports, my understanding is this;

New regulations are being introduced banning travel abroad from the UK and introducing a £5000 fine. These regulations, if passed, could remain in place until the end of June, but could also be lifted before then.

The global taskforce report will be published on April 12th, detailing the immediate plan for foreign travel.

In the meantime, at present the earliest date we can travel abroad from the UK is May 17th.

This means we don't know for sure what will happen until April 12th.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Yes, there is some room for flexibility but only if the situation improves. Re the 'traffic lights' - what happens if they change colour away from green while you are away? Will be be caught by quarntine/self isolating on your return as happened last year?

That's not a big problem for us. To go or not depends on risk to ourselves or others.

The bigger concern to me anyway is that we seems to be drifting to more and more draconian measures. Will all this legislation be repealed or will the powers that be quite like it and let it remain on the statute book. I see a summer of discontent coming not just over foreign travel but all restrictions 

• Like 3

I see a summer of discontent coming not just over foreign travel but all restrictions 

Yes, the foreign holiday restrictions will be governed by factors outside UK control but by May 17th all our most vulnerable groups will have been vaccinated or offered the vaccine and unless there is a sudden surge in variants against which current vaccines are ineffective then there will be huge pressure to get on with opening up the country again and people should be given more responsibility for keeping themselves safe given the likelihood that if you are unfortunate enough to catch the virus the effects are much less likely to make you seriously ill.

In that situation I would personally get out and about as much as possible but would still tend to observe social distancing and not go into crowded pubs but others would be free to take that risk if they wished (and are more likely to be younger people less susceptible to the effects of the virus). Those who set their face against taking the vaccine must accept the responsibility that goes with that decision and the possible effects on them.

This does rather call into question how vaccine 'passports' might be used while a significant minority of the population are still awaiting their jabs but hopefully that problem will go away after the end of July. Cruise companies look like introducing them for obvious reasons. I rather doubt if pubs will though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

That looks like the key phrase. You can all come over to your second homes to clean them prior to renting them out to British tourists who are unable to follow you. Problem solved.

Ed

Or maybe consider having to rent  to 'foreigners' 

• Like 1

OK slightly off topic... but email through from Condor about a an "abroad staycation"...

What are the chances that Guernsey/Jersey will be accepting visitors for summer? (OK I know and accept planning the future is currently impossible!)

7 hours ago, cvabishop said:

P&O are already suggesting round Britain cruises to keep their ships  operational. I reckon they might get a lot of takers if they could start doing this from mid May.

If they cruise clockwise will the cabins on the port side be less than half price? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

OK slightly off topic... but email through from Condor about a an "abroad staycation"...

What are the chances that Guernsey/Jersey will be accepting visitors for summer? (OK I know and accept planning the future is currently impossible!)

Got the same one, I would love to hop on Lib for a day out.  The way things are going in France, getting hard to believe our other friend will be out of her flowery dell in May, things appear to be getting worse instead of better, so the CI looks a bit more hopeful. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Khaines said:

things appear to be getting worse instead of better

Ah, so you've noticed!🤭

Here in cloud cuckoo land the government have launched a new slogan to encourage people to abide by the rules:

"DEDANS AVEC LES MIENS, DEHORS EN CITOYEN"

This has been widely ridiculed by opposition parties.

https://www.bfmtv.com/politique/dedans-avec-les-miens-dehors-en-citoyen-l-opposition-moque-le-slogan-stupide-du-gouvernement_AV-202103230436.html

Not to be deterred, Macron has said that vaccines should be given morning, noon and evening with no let up at weekends or public holidays. He forgot to mention afternoons as clearly he's having his nap them and doesn't realise the rest of the country carries on without him.

Meanwhile every company canteen now needs to allow 8 square metres per person to be sure they don't spread COVID. This is just another way of pushing companies to get their emplyees to work from home.

And the government have revealed their 11 commandments in the run up to Easter setting out what you should and should not do. Presumably the punishment for not following these rules will make crucifixion look like the easy way out.

Ed

ExHLeEvXAAQYocK.jpeg

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, Mitchell32 said:

Amidst much confusion and muddled media reports, my understanding is this;

New regulations are being introduced banning travel abroad from the UK and introducing a £5000 fine. These regulations, if passed, could remain in place until the end of June, but could also be lifted before then.

The global taskforce report will be published on April 12th, detailing the immediate plan for foreign travel.

In the meantime, at present the earliest date we can travel abroad from the UK is May 17th.

This means we don't know for sure what will happen until April 12th.

Announcement today says Taskforce Report will now be 5th April

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ah, so you've noticed!🤭

Here in cloud cuckoo land the government have launched a new slogan to encourage people to abide by the rules:

"DEDANS AVEC LES MIENS, DEHORS EN CITOYEN"

Could this not almost be colloquially translated as "CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME"

Edited by colinschandler
13 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Not to be deterred, Macron has said that vaccines should be given morning, noon and evening with no let up at weekends or public holidays. He forgot to mention afternoons

Does "noon" not mean "afternoon" in this context? I couldn't find a video of him speaking these words (I'm assuming he did not use English and that this is a translation).

1 minute ago, VikingVoyager said:

Does "noon" not mean "afternoon" in this context? I couldn't find a video of him speaking these words (I'm assuming he did not use English and that this is a translation).

Try this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bfmtv.com/amp/sante/pas-de-jour-ferie-pour-le-vaccin-macron-appelle-a-vacciner-tous-les-jours-matin-midi-et-soir_AV-202103230201.html&ved=2ahUKEwjgxeWzyMjvAhXFy4UKHWCGAWIQFjAAegQIAhAC&usg=AOvVaw0h5svMbprzSWJarE1u1yW9&ampcf=1

Ed

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I wondered why there were two of him to start with! Masks, you can see why petrol station workers don't like them.

Yes, I would take that to mean the whole day, in this context, though I thought that this was more of an English phrase or shorthand.

I'd forgotten that leaders could speak rapidly and clearly

12 hours ago, Yorky said:

Announcement today says Taskforce Report will now be 5th April

Yes so I see, but in my newspaper it was tucked away in a small column in the corner as if it was of little significance. I thought the entire country was waiting for news about when foreign travel can re-commence, and whether it will be May 17th or beyond. Personally, I welcome the earlier announcement on this even if it's going to be bad news, at least then we'll know if we're coming or going!

• Like 1

I'm sure we're all waiting with baited breath to find out when next we'll be able to travel on the ferries again, and visit our favourite countries for a holiday.

April 12th was the date for the Taskforce report to be published, but there are now reports in the press that this will now be April 5th, either that or the PM is merely going to issue a statement on that date. The reports are rather vague, and don't appear to be major headlines, even though, surely, the entire country would like to know when they can take a trip abroad.The sooner we know whether or not foreign travel will be possible from May 17th the better. I think BF would like to know that also! I certainly would!

El Pais is reporting that Spain will lift the ban on UK citizens entering Spain from 30th March:

Coronavirus restrictions: Spain to lift ban on travel from the UK | News | EL PAÍS in English (elpais.com)

However, a negative PCR test is required 72 hours beforehand, which brings back the old chestnut of how that can work with a 24+ hour ferry crossing, given that for example Boots says results will typically be returned within 48 hours.

Of course it will all count for nought if our favourite vaudeville act Bouncing Boris and the Downing Street Stompers don't give us permission to depart these shores unless we have a tin of Dulux and the key to our second home in our hands.

I gather from Spanish friends that here is some disquiet in Spain that Spanish citizens cannot cross from one communidad to another, but foreign visitors can. Not sure I'd fancy crossing from Extremadura to Andalucia with a large GB sticker on my back window in these circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
20 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Here in Guernsey the border will not be fully open until 1st July. As of Monday we have just reopened our internal economy with no masks or social distancing required- even nightclubs are open. So we won't be rushing to open our borders to jeopardise all this.

Jersey on the other hand have a different strategy. 

• Thanks 3
11 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Here in Guernsey the border will not be fully open until 1st July. As of Monday we have just reopened our internal economy with no masks or social distancing required- even nightclubs are open. So we won't be rushing to open our borders to jeopardise all this.

Jersey on the other hand have a different strategy. 

Thanks for the update Nick.

I assume there is no news about either Condor or Manche Iles Express restarting services this summer from France. Manche Iles gave me 18 months to re-use my cancelled ticket from last May and that takes us to late November. Maybe I should ask them for a refund instead.

Ed

• Gareth locked this topic
  • Gareth unlocked and locked this topic