Barfleur - Residents complain of noise

Residents have complained of noise and air pollution from the Barfleur, which is currently laid up on the Caen canal. 

Barfleur isn’t alone in being laid up on the canal, with three cruise ships being moored nearby, however she appears to have become the focus of the attention. 

https://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/caen-14000/caen-le-barfleur-a-perturbe-les-nuits-des-riverains-du-canal-7157969 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Residents have complained of noise and air pollution from the Barfleur, which is currently laid up on the Caen canal. 

Barfleur isn’t alone in being laid up on the canal, with three cruise ships being moored nearby, however she appears to have become the focus of the attention. 

https://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/caen-14000/caen-le-barfleur-a-perturbe-les-nuits-des-riverains-du-canal-7157969 

Pity she isn’t able to reside in Poole Bay, said that before, and she can go to Portsmouth for crew changes.  She’d join two Royal Caribbeans here at the moment, Jewel and Anthem.  Would liked to have seen her next to the Allure!!  She can do no wrong in Poole, she does get wibbled about by anti pollution folks due to smoke emissions at start up, but in general that applies to any ship in port here.  Those complaining forget that they are living in a working port, therefore ship noise is likely to be one of the things they’ll have to hear.  Me, anything to hear ship generators, living in Bournemouth town centre, all I hear is squabbling seagulls and drunks kicking off, although lockdown has closed the nearby bars.  I lived next door to a nightclub and it is normally siren central.  Oh, for a ship generator!!🙂 

Right... but they're ok with the sewage works and the fuel & molasses storage tanks. I know from past experience being in and around Bootle & United Molasses that the stuff stinks.

• Like 1

To get an idea of what the locals are experiencing (and to share that experience with my neighbours), I have just spent most of the day out in the beautiful sunshine power-washing my patio. I didn't get the opportunity last year due to a broken Karcher and the local DIY store being closed during lockdown. I therefore bought a new Michelin washer yesterday after hearing good reports from a student. The instruction booklet was very clear and it only took 5 minutes to clip everything together this morning. At least half the booklet was taken up by warning messages in a choice of languages. Strangely they never print the one warning which to me seems essential, namely that once you start you will have to wash every vertical and horizontal surface within a 500-yard radius due to the amount of crap that gets sent up by the spray! 

Ed

3 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

So where else did you think it would go Ed? 😁

True but the Karcher had three settings - 'surface wash', 'deep clean' and 'strip aggregate from concrete'.

This Michelin one beats even that but with just one speed. Which is strange as all their TV ads for tyres promote how little spray their products throw up. Hmm!

Ed

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

True but the Karcher had three settings - 'surface wash', 'deep clean' and 'strip aggregate from concrete'.

This Michelin one beats even that but with just one speed. Which is strange as all their TV ads for tyres promote how little spray their products throw up. Hmm!

Ed

I always resort to oilskins ...

• 3 months later...

Looking at the pretty pictures on the home page it looks as though the crew have been busy with the white paint; all the rust streaks and other crud are now shiny and white. But----- did they prepare the surface properly before waving the roller around??? Last ship it was on board while it was being 'painted' the paint was being sloshed over everything.

RE the power washer - for goodness sake DON'T use one wearing shorts! You will probably end up like me with spots of blood all over your shins, and a fair amount of masochistic pain! BTW the blood runs well if you are on blood thinning drugs, hee hee I'm a druggie (joke).