Jump to content

Poole to Tangier ferry link


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Going which way? 

Ed

Info suggests the ship will sail pretty much empty going south, so an opportunity to carry hordes of wrinklies in camper vans? One way only though ...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Solo said:

Would this be the ultimate land bridge avoidance, cutting out the land bridge through France.

Don't ask me, I'm just a dummy! 😉

Although taking some of the trucks off French roads would be a good idea but this is going to be a tiny number of vehicles. 

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Solo said:

Would this be the ultimate land bridge avoidance, cutting out the land bridge through France.

That’s essentially what the direct sailings to Spain are about already.  This new one would cut out Spain too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cabin-boy said:

Although taking some of the trucks off French roads would be a good idea but this is going to be a tiny number of vehicles.

Exactly the reason why the decline of the UK landbridge is to be welcomed too - probably more vehicles in that case but perhaps a similar percentage reduction in traffic!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I`d be a little more optimistic if this `Company` had any sort of checkable past or even presence..A quick trawl round shows that United Seaways is owned by a 45 year old Canadian national called. Zeyd Fassi Fehri. The operational offices are 3rd floor, 207 Regent Street, London. Unfortunately this is a dead letter box drop hosted by a company called  `Hold Everything. Your virtual office in Regent Street London`..Its situated above a camping shop. The boss has a twitter account but has never made one yet.

He`s going to have to do better than this on the credibility stakes if he even wants to charter a vessel..

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Paully said:

I`d be a little more optimistic if this `Company` had any sort of checkable past or even presence..A quick trawl round shows that United Seaways is owned by a 45 year old Canadian national called. Zeyd Fassi Fehri. The operational offices are 3rd floor, 207 Regent Street, London. Unfortunately this is a dead letter box drop hosted by a company called  `Hold Everything. Your virtual office in Regent Street London`..Its situated above a camping shop. The boss has a twitter account but has never made one yet.

He`s going to have to do better than this on the credibility stakes if he even wants to charter a vessel..

Gibraltar holding company set up at the same time .... Company website is drivel, but the specialist food press is all excited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

It does have hallmarks of Euroferries, I agree!

Or Seaborne Freight!! After all they did win a £13.8M government contract to run ferry services between Ramsgate and Ostend despite having no ships.

Edited by colinschandler
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The guy in charge of Poole Harbour (Captain Brian Murphy, Marine and Port Director at Poole Harbour Commissioners) seems convinced that it's going to happen. The fact that the UK has a trade agreement in place with Morocco might actually mean it makes sense. I can imagine tomatoes and oranges etc coming north but am struggling to see what they might want in return. Dairy products perhaps?

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Saiing time would be around 55hrs at 20 knots. 

Not sure it would be any quicker than driving?

 

 

But if it is unaccompanied it's saving a lot of manhours.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I can imagine tomatoes and oranges etc coming north but am struggling to see what they might want in return. Dairy products perhaps?

 

The article mentions dairy, meat, fruit and vegetables heading south.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The guy in charge of Poole Harbour (Captain Brian Murphy, Marine and Port Director at Poole Harbour Commissioners) seems convinced that it's going to happen. 

Ed

Wanabee shipping magnate Mr Zeyd Fassi Fehri (a good Canadian name) runs Brio Construction, a Heavy and Civil Engineering Company in Cassablanca with 30 employees with annual sales (not profit!) of $4.54M.

Mr Fehri only formed United Seaways 10 weeks ago with himself and one other director (who is now showing as 'terminated' 2 weeks later). Two new directors were then appointed, both now also showing as 'terminated'. United Seaways have no employees but more importantly NO ships. It is possible that I may be proved wrong, but I fear that it may be a case of "Keep calm and carry on dreaming" Captain Brian.

So sorry Bridgette, but you are unlikely to have the opportunity try out a brand new route from Poole anytime soon. Of course Mr Fehri may possibly try to charter Barfleur for his new venture.🤣

Edited by colinschandler
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, elaine80 said:

The article mentions dairy, meat, fruit and vegetables heading south.

Yes, that is what the free trade agreement covers so perhaps it's what they actually want. I just wonder how dependant those needs are on the tourism industry. Until that picks up the demand for Northern European vegetables etc might not actually be viable. It will be interesting to see how this project pans out.

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dunno guys  - I wouldn't be so cynical about these things.

Having worked on some projects like this in the past, some would read of having no credibility but had good agreements that would make them work.  In this case you only need a company guaranteeing you x number of loads per week to immediately have a viable project.

Also don't knock virtual addresses.  There can be all sorts of good reasons for using those.  

Having worked with the superb Poole Harbour Commissioners before, including the excellent Captain Murphy, I doubt they'd be giving this very public backing if it wasn't credible.

The last "new thing" I was directly involved with was a pair of Italian ropax ferries that were coming to the North Sea (cough)...a colleague on the core team representing marketing was in my office discussing some of his ideas and mentioned a "be the first to be onboard" campaign.  I reminded him of advice I was told by a P&O European Ferries PR guy when I was only a teenager "if I could get away with it, I wouldn't announce a ship is in service on a particular date until it is in the harbour and loading passengers"....

So all I am saying is - whether this project ever comes to fruition or not remains to be seen as projects can hit all kinds of obstacles but I'd say it's a 100% credible  given PHC's stance.

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Poole to Cyprus via Tangier from May 1st?

Route / Refueling ports

Ferry

Crossing Schedule

Could spend hours looking at options

Edited by IanN
spelling
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, RickOShea said:

So all I am saying is - whether this project ever comes to fruition or not remains to be seen as projects can hit all kinds of obstacles but I'd say it's a 100% credible  given PHC's stance.

Yeah, nice try Gary... It's political speech for 'load of nonsense' in a similar way to the Cork announcement last year which had the port, local MP and local media involved.

Filed under the anacronym CYOA.

Come on, how is one ship doing one return trip every 8 -10 days -possibly every 12 days, prove to be cost effective when the Spanish ports linking Africa are beginning to expand their tonnage offer in order to increase the volume of freight traffic destined for the EU & U.K. shores?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jonno said:

 

Come on, how is one ship doing one return trip every 8 -10 days -possibly every 12 days, prove to be cost effective when the Spanish ports linking Africa are beginning to expand their tonnage offer in order to increase the volume of freight traffic destined for the EU & U.K. shores?

Where on earth are you getting that from?

You can easily manage a roundtrip per week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...