Poole to Tangier ferry link

From earlier post on trade between UK and Morocco - 

https://bfenthusiasts.com/bfe/topic/13746-poole-to-tangier-ferry-link/?do=findComment&comment=232254

- there is trade going the other way; maybe requires a wider view to see the opportunity. I wouldn't say the media are a good source of traffic projections.

I wish the route good luck and it will be interesting to see how it develops.

55 minutes ago, jonno said:

ll be pleased if it comes to 'fruition' but the African media still believe there's no money in it, that fuel a crew costs will be expensive and return sailings will be mostly empty.

Illegals will fill it no problem and pay a fortune to get on board. 

Edited by IanN

I don't know if there is any relevance to this but in recent weeks tensions have been rising between Paris and Rabat (as well as with the capitals of Algeria and Tunisia). The issue relates to the granting of visas apparently (among other things) and is souring relations. Whether this will have any knock-on effect on transport, I don't know (as freight drivers may not be concerned) but if things escalate (and when have things in France not escalated😉) then a direct link bypassing the continent might pay off.

Ed

2 hours ago, jonno said:

That would be down to it being showcased as a twice weekly service using one ship and also stopping at Lisbon rather than a single direct weekly sailing no doubt using a similar vessel to Pelican. The company address was also a bit dubious being a generic London PO Box letter drop.

I'll be pleased if it comes to 'fruition' but the African media still believe there's no money in it, that fuel a crew costs will be expensive and return sailings will be mostly empty.

Setting up new companies for potential projects with placeholder directors, £2 of share capital and addresses like Quick Company Creation Ltd is perfectly normal.

The operational side was always the challenge, not the credibility of the people involved or the proposed company to be used.

With the Moroccan and Spanish governments still barely talking to each other and Rabat having shown themselves both willing to use shipping as a political cudgel and recently directly involving themselves in organising shipping operations I wonder if there's some official support of this to bypass Spain.

• Thanks 1

I assume that this is unaccompanied trailers, however I don't really get why this is still a popular idea.

Looking at ports like Thames Gateway, it has massive onsite fruit processing facilities on site to package the fruit ready for the supermarkets really quickly, I guess that the Morocco link will service some direct supplier to supermarket operations, however is that the future ?

I have always believed that containers are a more flexible approach to shipping.

ll be pleased if it comes to 'fruition' but the African media still believe there's no money in it, that fuel a crew costs will be expensive and return sailings will be mostly empty.

So the return sailings are likely to be fruitless...

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, jonno said:

Reading this, the sceptics amongst us... including me, may well need to eat a large slice of humble pie.

https://african.business/2021/05/agribusiness-manufacturing/moroccan-produce-satisfies-uks-post-brexit-appetite/

That was published in May and based on data from the first quarter of the year. Getting the service up and running for the summer season was clearly the aim. As they are now behind schedule we'll probably have to wait and see how the situation evolves this winter. If they can overcome to supply chain issues to supermarkets then it should make good economic sense.

Ed

11 hours ago, Chef said:

Priti Patel will have the UK pay for the return leg of the journey .

No chance 4 Star hotel near Poole with spending money and no day two test

They're talking of half a million containers a year on the route that means a lot more HGV drivers to be found. Perhaps someone should be spending some money on the rail link although I doubt that the government would do that. Unless perhaps they could be persuaded that southern Poole was just another way to spell northern Goole. They don't seem the brightest buttons in the tin so that stands a good chance of success.

Edited by Rattler43