New route. Roscoff to an unnamed Cornish port.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually it’s my fault, I ordered a takeaway from McDonalds Le Havre and it’s just been delivered....😂 Chris

Got a reply from Tony Weaver on Facebook.  Copied and pasted.   “Mystery solved Brigitte, a source has confirmed to me that Normandie Express will be going on the Syncrolift for her Classificatio

Posted Images

I suspect some language issues .... Probably a reassurance that a Plymouth service will restart and therefore allow trucks from Cornwall rapid access to Brittany? So long as they have the paperwork sorted ... There is a will in France to find sensible solutions with the UK.

No way that it could be Looe or Newlyn, if it was a Cornish port it would have to be Falmouth which would have no advantages over Plymouth. Typical Plymouth Live !! 😄🤣

Edited by colinschandler
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, colin said:

I suspect some language issues .... Probably a reassurance that a Plymouth service will restart and therefore allow trucks from Cornwall rapid access to Brittany? So long as they have the paperwork sorted ... There is a will in France to find sensible solutions with the UK.

Sounds about right apart from the seasonality aspect. Eg. I think brown crabs are at their best right through the months when the Plymouth - Roscoff route shuts down and I know how popular oysters are in France at Christmas.

i must admit, each time I see the wording Brittany Ferries on the Herald, my heart jumps a beat. Fully expecting to read one day that BF are withdrawing from Plymouth 

with todays numbers of covid in France of 45k, we have to be realistic that holidays in France for summer is now a write off. So won’t be good for BF.

personal view 

i think this summer is another write off.

As I said before, you might end having a right to do something, that does not make it the right thing to do.

Rhys

I don't know which is worse the reporting of it or the fact that our council leaders think there could be a ferry service from Falmouth to France.  50 years ago this was an idea but once BF started running to Plymouth it was a dead Duck, the only way it could happen is if BF were kicked out of Plymouth for some reason.

3 minutes ago, Solo said:

I don't know which is worse the reporting of it or the fact that our council leaders think there could be a ferry service from Falmouth to France.  50 years ago this was an idea but once BF started running to Plymouth it was a dead Duck, the only way it could happen is if BF were kicked out of Plymouth for some reason.

They'd need to build the facilities which would take a year or so not to mention find the money to pay for it.

Just wait, there'll be a Goole to Vlissingen route next.

7 hours ago, Solo said:

the only way it could happen is if BF were kicked out of Plymouth for some reason.

Just a thought but is there some clause whereby if BF don't run a service for a certain length of time then their 'slot' in Plymouth is forefeited and can be reallocated?

Ee

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Just a thought but is there some clause whereby if BF don't run a service for a certain length of time then their 'slot' in Plymouth is forefeited and can be reallocated?

Ee

But would the French reallocate the slots on the French side, maybe the Spanish ports would.

The other thing with all the development around Millbay developers could look at all that lovely flat land in the check in lanes and start making offers to ABP who could keep the actual berth for cruise ships etc.  Just a thought if services are cut to much.

13 hours ago, jonno said:

They'd need to build the facilities which would take a year or so not to mention find the money to pay for it.

Just wait, there'll be a Goole to Vlissingen route next.

If they did Goole to Ouistreham then BF would get my custom on that route!

21 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Would it not be cheaper just to train the crabs and fish to swim south?

Ed

Or let the "Pecheurs Francais" lay their pots in St Austell Bay. Rapidly exiting stage left wearing tin helmet. 😅

3 hours ago, Solo said:

But would the French reallocate the slots on the French side, maybe the Spanish ports would.

The other thing with all the development around Millbay developers could look at all that lovely flat land in the check in lanes and start making offers to ABP who could keep the actual berth for cruise ships etc.  Just a thought if services are cut to much.

ABP for Plymouth is not good. 

Im sure you know, BF lease the site from ABP, but ABP are reluctant to spend money in Plymouth. Hence the BF building is like stepping back in time. That escalator inside the terminal building still squeaks like rampant mice.

the cruise ship terminal - Plymouth council, and a whole host of tourist organisations, businesses etc are all in favour of a terminal - but ABP refused the idea as it could conflict with their other sites like Southampton 

new flats and hotels are being built or planned for Millbay. Again everyone wants this to happen, apart from ABP. They keep objecting to almost everything. Even petty things like “loosing car park spaces”.

as an opinion - I am getting a bit nervous on the long term of Plymouth and BF. I hope I’m am wrong.

1 hour ago, PGTV said:

as an opinion - I am getting a bit nervous on the long term of Plymouth and BF. I hope I’m am wrong.

Well, I doubt they'll consider Falmouth a viable option. Dredging, infrastructure plus building a terminal, linkspan & and associated hardstanding/marshalling would cost millions ... if the footprint is there for such an enterprise in the first place.

You can get an 214m ferry into Millbay, that's not insignificant.

I would think that the suggestion of this venture is even more pie-in-the-sky than the United Seaways Poole to Tangier ferry.

Although Falmouth Dockyard has refitted cross Channel Ferries including PoB, Pride of Burgundy is “resting” in the Helford River and Cruise Ships regularly visit, access should be OK, but as Jonno says; building a terminal, linkspan and associated hardstanding/marshalling would cost millions. Access around the town is worse than Plymouth.

The very suggestion of Looe is a joke, even 30 foot fishing boats are limited from entering the River by the tides.

I guess next Thursday someone will post on this forum that when Ever Given/Grounded finally digs herself out, Plymouth Live are reporting that ABP has agreed to her unloading at Millbay in order to get the UK bound containers ashore quicker before she goes up the Channel and North Sea to Felixstowe!😄

4 hours ago, jonno said:

Well, I doubt they'll consider Falmouth a viable option. Dredging, infrastructure plus building a terminal, linkspan & and associated hardstanding/marshalling would cost millions ... if the footprint is there for such an enterprise in the first place.

You can get an 214m ferry into Millbay, that's not insignificant.

I don’t see BF moving to Falmouth, but I do see them closing Plymouth, and just keep Portsmouth and Poole.

lets face it, Plymouth tends to have a raw of a deal, we tend to be seasonal, not a favourite with truckers. We are currently the only port in the BF group without any sailings.

roscoff will carry on with the links to Ireland. But going to France or Spain could be done from just Poole or Portsmouth. 

Out of interest,  was there any thoughts or wild ideas of a route from Plymouth to Cherbourg? It’s about the same distance to roscoff (by sea) They used to be Plymouth to St Malo, but no idea what happened to that. 

The USP for Plymouth is that in a year or two it will be the only port offering a sub 24 hr Spanish sailing which is very popular with travellers, you then have to look at pax traffic on the Plymouth - Roscoff route overall which is greater than St Malo and matches Cherbourg which has sailings to different English ports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1