Irish Ferries launches new Calais-Dover service in June 2021

I would guess that the RMT have France to thank for continued employment of UK staff on the eastern Channel. Would P&O and even DFDS not have been irresistibly tempted to outsource and/or ship in cheaper labour?

11 hours ago, colin said:

I would guess that the RMT have France to thank for continued employment of UK staff on the eastern Channel. Would P&O and even DFDS not have been irresistibly tempted to outsource and/or ship in cheaper labour?

Well, the premise of that guess is easily tested.  How do P&O and DFDS crew their ships that operate out of the UK to countries other than France?  Hull-Rotterdam, Newcastle-Amsterdam, Liverpool-Dublin, Immingham to everywhere.  If they are outsourced to cheap labour then there is some logic to your point.

• Like 1

Not the correct place to post this but apart from photos of Blue Star 1 arriving in Rosslare this morning, which I’m sure will appear soon, a chum sent me this great picture of WB Y leaving Dublin Port yesterday - no chimneys or foaming sewage in sight!

Chris

image.png.b002f1d89b1fb61327b5e16f8b24afe6.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

And living 

And live ducks to prove it! 🤣

Try geese Gareth....;)

Out of interest where should I have posted this? I can't find an Irish subsection under Other Ferry Operations, political or otherwise...😖

Chris

• Haha 1
  • TongueOut 1

Probably as good a place as any, Chris - for now at least.  We did consider adding an Irish section when we added the dedicated Channel Islands area, but I think we must have not done so because of the direct overlap with BF Irish services (which would have caused confusion).  At least, I’m guessing that must have been the reason why - it was a while ago now.  So, for now, non-BF Irish services are just in the general Other Ferry Operations section.

Are you sure they’re not ducks - geese have longer necks!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Not the correct place to post this but apart from photos of Blue Star 1 arriving in Rosslare this morning, which I’m sure will appear soon, a chum sent me this great picture of WB Y leaving Dublin Port yesterday - no chimneys or foaming sewage in sight!

Chris

image.png.b002f1d89b1fb61327b5e16f8b24afe6.png

A great photo taken at the quack of dawn.

Ed

• TongueOut 1

Great photo of WBY.

It would be nice to see a dedicated Irish section here. It seems one can no longer register on the IF enthusiasts forum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Probably as good a place as any, Chris - for now at least.  We did consider adding an Irish section when we added the dedicated Channel Islands area, but I think we must have not done so because of the direct overlap with BF Irish services (which would have caused confusion).  At least, I’m guessing that must have been the reason why - it was a while ago now.  So, for now, non-BF Irish services are just in the general Other Ferry Operations section.

Are you sure they’re not ducks - geese have longer necks!

I'm certainly no twitcher but lucky enough to live just a few hundred metres from Chichester harbour where we walk often and those are geese, of either the Brent or Canada variety. And I have a very good friend who lives just along the coast at Sandymount overlooking Dublin Bay, they have them there too..

Chris 

• Like 1

Of course, you are right Chris (and I am just embarassed to display my avine ignorance!)  Thinking about it, I’m not sure to what extent ducks fraternise salt water?

Anyway, geese, ducks, chickens, pterodactyls....whatever....the primary point is proved....visual proof that the Port of Dublin is a thriving ecosystem, a paragon of cleanliness with not a milligram of pollution in sight! 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

There you go. You managed to have a civilised discussion without resorting to fowl language 🤭

Ed

Hopefully no-one’s noticed the layer of smog engulfing the lower half of WBY’s hull! 🤫

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Hopefully no-one’s noticed the layer of smog engulfing the lower half of WBY’s hull! 🤫

That's the same mirage-type effect that Khaines posted about a few weeks ago.

Ed

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Actually, probably more likely to be early-morning mist.  Mirage effects normally require a hot afternoon.

I did say mirage-like. I'm too busy eating chocolate to check the exact term.

Ed

• Haha 1

Bit of an international armada  operating from Ireland with todays arrival of Blue Star 1 at Rosslare , there is now ferries operating under 6 different flags , France, Italy, Greece, Sweden, Cyprus and GB . I'm sure someone  will point what flag is missing .

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

Bit of an international armada  operating from Ireland with todays arrival of Blue Star 1 at Rosslare , there is now ferries operating under 6 different flags , France, Italy, Greece, Sweden, Cyprus and GB . I'm sure someone  will point what flag is missing .

It’s also a remarkable array of different ports that have now been served (past or present) by regular scheduled ferry services from Rosslare.  I count 10 (Pembroke, Fishguard, St Nazaire, Bilbao, Santander, Roscoff, St Malo, Cherbourg, Le Havre, Dunkerque).  Not that many ferry ports can claim that degree of versatility.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I'm certainly no twitcher but lucky enough to live just a few hundred metres from Chichester harbour where we walk often and those are geese, of either the Brent or Canada variety. And I have a very good friend who lives just along the coast at Sandymount overlooking Dublin Bay, they have them there too..

Chris 

3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

There we go, Brent Geese and thousands of them.....;)

And did they discover what shape bread rolls Brent geese prefer .

15 hours ago, Gareth said:

It’s also a remarkable array of different ports that have now been served (past or present) by regular scheduled ferry services from Rosslare.  I count 10 (Pembroke, Fishguard, St Nazaire, Bilbao, Santander, Roscoff, St Malo, Cherbourg, Le Havre, Dunkerque).  Not that many ferry ports can claim that degree of versatility.

It's a bit like Dover in the 80s!