Irish Ferries launches new Calais-Dover service in June 2021

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Dover has only ever served 6 ports!

I was meaning the principle. Dover obviously has less opportunity for it's route to 'fan out' due to proximity to the mainland but I'm sure we'll see an even quicker rationalisation of routes from Rosslare than we did in Dover.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not the correct place to post this but apart from photos of Blue Star 1 arriving in Rosslare this morning, which I’m sure will appear soon, a chum sent me this great picture of WB Y leaving Dublin Por

No, that would be Gosport.  Ed

It makes you wonder why they don't also launch a Portsmouth to Le Havre route using 'the ship formerly known as Honfleur'. They could call her the 'Blimey O'Riley'.  Ed

Posted Images

2 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

I was meaning the principle. Dover obviously has less opportunity for it's route to 'fan out' due to proximity to the mainland but I'm sure we'll see an even quicker rationalisation of routes from Rosslare than we did in Dover.

Not sure what could be rationalised from Rosslare right now?

Perhaps Fishguard, but I certainly see Pembroke, Cherbourg, Spain and probably Dunkirk surviving. 

I also wouldn’t exclude an operator (obviously not IF) attempting Le Havre - Ireland in the coming years, where Rosslare would be the most logical port to try it from. Le Havre is a better alternative to Dunkirk/landbridge than Cherbourg. 

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Dover has only ever served 6 ports!

I think Portsmouth is 7 or 8 when you include the C.I's and Cap's Sunday night stop at Roscoff.

Just now, jonno said:

I think Portsmouth is 7 or 8 when you include the C.I's and Cap's Sunday night stop at Roscoff.

Le Havre, Caen, Cherbourg, St Malo, Roscoff, (Brest on occasion), Santander, Bilbao, St Hellier, St Peter Port, Gosport, Ryde and Fishbourne. 

That's quite an impressive number of destinations.

Ed

• Like 1

Pretty sure LD Lines ran a Portsmouth - Dieppe crossing once, but it was a one-off diversion rather than a scheduled service.  (Probably due to a strike at Le Havre?).

Oh, and your spell-checker has failed you Ed! 🤣

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Not for the first time. Get rid of the 'l' if it's troubling you!

Ed

Just wasn't sure whether you were intentionally conflating the capital of Jersey with eternal damnation!

4 hours ago, lg12 said:

Not sure what could be rationalised from Rosslare right now?

I guess we'll see but I think your own suggestions (Fishguard and Dunkerque) alongside Roscoff, St Malo, are where I'd start. It will be interesting to see how the Irish Ferries landbridge option works out.

It will be interesting to see if a price war breaks out when passenger services are allowed to return, now that there are so many additional sailings from Ireland to France that did not exist previously and carriers other than Brittany Ferries  .

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

Pretty sure LD Lines ran a Portsmouth - Dieppe crossing once, but it was a one-off diversion rather than a scheduled service.  (Probably due to a strike at Le Havre?).

Oh, and your spell-checker has failed you Ed! 🤣

Didn’t they run it for a whole season?

15 minutes ago, richwarwicker said:

Didn’t they run it for a whole season?

Dover-Dieppe ran a whole season, and Newhaven-Le Havre I think made two.  But Portsmouth-Dieppe was one they never tried as a regular permutation (as far as I remember) - along with the route I think they really should have tried, which was Newhaven-Boulogne.

9 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Dover-Dieppe ran a whole season, and Newhaven-Le Havre I think made two.  But Portsmouth-Dieppe was one they never tried as a regular permutation (as far as I remember) - along with the route I think they really should have tried, which was Newhaven-Boulogne.

Sounds like they missed a trick - what about Newhaven - Portsmouth?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're doing my head in, Jonno. For Dover, the only 5 I can name are Calais, Boulogne, Zeebrugge, Ostend and Dunkirk. Does the Boulogne hoverport count as a separate one or is there another esoteric one from the dim and distant past ? I guess the short-lived service from the beach at Bray in 1940 doesn't count !

23 minutes ago, Pegpilot said:

You're doing my head in, Jonno. For Dover, the only 5 I can name are Calais, Boulogne, Zeebrugge, Ostend and Dunkirk. Does the Boulogne hoverport count as a separate one or is there another esoteric one from the dim and distant past ? I guess the short-lived service from the beach at Bray in 1940 doesn't count !

Dieppe as per Gareth’s reply just above yours 

3 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

I guess we'll see but I think your own suggestions (Fishguard and Dunkerque) alongside Roscoff, St Malo, are where I'd start. It will be interesting to see how the Irish Ferries landbridge option works out.

I think St Malo and Roscoff are already gone?

I believe Dunkirk will survive at least until there is new comprehensive UK-EU customs arrangement (which right isn’t likely at all). Stena will probably stick with Fishguard even if it is just not to give away more market share to IF. 

2 hours ago, Chef said:

It will be interesting to see if a price war breaks out when passenger services are allowed to return, now that there are so many additional sailings from Ireland to France that did not exist previously and carriers other than Brittany Ferries  .

Not very obvious what ships could carry substantial passenger numbers. Even Estrid seems to be fairly cabin limited unless accompanied freight loadings drop significantly. Quite a few recent Stena sailings  from Rosslare have departed with no cabins available for booking. I don’t think most of the Irish families going on their summer holidays would be happy with with a lounge seat.

Same issue with DFDS, unless they lease one or more radically different types of ship. 

That said, a post-COVID world with everyone vaccinated may allow 2+ drivers in each cabin, which might change things again. 

46 minutes ago, lg12 said:

Even Estrid seems to be fairly cabin limited unless accompanied freight loadings drop significantly. Quite a few recent Stena sailings  from Rosslare have departed with no cabins available for booking.

Perhaps it's turned out that BF have got the Cabin ratio better for these longer sailings.

5 minutes ago, Solo said:

Perhaps it's turned out that BF have got the Cabin ratio better for these longer sailings.

Hardly surprising given that BF is the only one that bought them for the longer sailings in the first place?

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Hardly surprising given that BF is the only one that bought them for the longer sailings in the first place?

I think it was expected that they might also end up on some longer Stena crossings, just not so soon (and who knows how long this will continue). 

Stena could always increase the number of cabins on the last one or two to be delivered. 

Edited by lg12