Irish Ferries launches new Calais-Dover service in June 2021

2 hours ago, lg12 said:

That said, a post-COVID world with everyone vaccinated may allow 2+ drivers in each cabin, which might change things again

Exactly, this will release more cabins for passengers, it will also release a lot of complaints from the freight drivers.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not the correct place to post this but apart from photos of Blue Star 1 arriving in Rosslare this morning, which I’m sure will appear soon, a chum sent me this great picture of WB Y leaving Dublin Por

No, that would be Gosport.  Ed

It makes you wonder why they don't also launch a Portsmouth to Le Havre route using 'the ship formerly known as Honfleur'. They could call her the 'Blimey O'Riley'.  Ed

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Pegpilot said:

You're doing my head in, Jonno. For Dover, the only 5 I can name are Calais, Boulogne, Zeebrugge, Ostend and Dunkirk. Does the Boulogne hoverport count as a separate one or is there another esoteric one from the dim and distant past ? I guess the short-lived service from the beach at Bray in 1940 doesn't count !

Don't know what you're talking about, I mentioned Portsmouth not Dover?

11 hours ago, lg12 said:

Stena could always increase the number of cabins on the last one or two to be delivered

Does the "flex" bit of their name mean that these changes could be made relatively easily to the Estrid and Embla, also?

I'm thinking in terms of the ability to supply enough hot water etc. rather than plumbing for each cabin - that kind of level of pre-planning

On 06/04/2021 at 16:21, VikingVoyager said:

I guess we'll see but I think your own suggestions (Fishguard and Dunkerque) alongside Roscoff, St Malo, are where I'd start. It will be interesting to see how the Irish Ferries landbridge option works out.

Stena added a further 10 sailings from Fishguard yesterday.

Edited by jonno
18 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

that's quite a service, they must need at least three vessels to operate it

No only the one, Europe is more than capable of 24 sailings a week.

https://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/19215436.stena-line-increases-sailings-fishguard-rosslare-route/

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/stena-line-increases-sailings-between-20336041

Edited by jonno

I still see the two daily sailings in each direction in the booking engine (14 sailings a week/direction, or 28 in total), so I am not quite sure what the 24 sailings is referring to?

11 minutes ago, jonno said:

Ah, so more a resumption of the previous timetable

Edited by VikingVoyager
1 minute ago, lg12 said:

I still see the two daily sailings in each direction in the booking engine (14 sailings a week/direction, or 28 in total), so I am not quite sure what the 24 sailings is referring to?

Me too. Do they have a vessel that can fit in an extra 10 rotations (seems unlikely to be that much demand) or is this just a typo? The Europe seems to only be in port for about 2 hours on most rotations, so not a lot of slack

14 sailings a week translates as 1 sailing each way per day.  They have upped this to 24 sailings a week, 2 round trips a day apart from a Sunday and Monday which the Stene Europe will cover just the 1 round trip.

19 minutes ago, Stena Galloway said:

14 sailings a week translates as 1 sailing each way per day.  They have upped this to 24 sailings a week, 2 round trips a day apart from a Sunday and Monday which the Stene Europe will cover just the 1 round trip.

If that's the case, then their website is wrong as it shows two round trips for each day of the week.  

Does anyone know what the pre-Brexit timetable was - 24, 28 or another number of sailings per week?

37 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

If that's the case, then their website is wrong as it shows two round trips for each day of the week.  

Does anyone know what the pre-Brexit timetable was - 24, 28 or another number of sailings per week?

It was 2 daily sailings in each direction so a total of 28 sailings. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

Stena Line Freight website is showing 1 round trip on a Sunday and Monday.

Edited by Stena Galloway
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I see 'Isle of Inishmore' is now anchored north-East of Ramsgate; presumably prior to commencing on the announced cross-Channel route. Has a firm start date for the route and timetable been published yet? Assuming it is now deferred until mid-June, or whenever France is opened up to UK tourists without quarantine, it seems a bit of a strange place to anchor, especially as AIS does not recognise the destination, assumed current anchorage,!

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing she is still sat in Odense shipyard I assume she is having a 'toastrack' fitted to allow compatability with the Dover loading facilities. Bet it looks just as bad as Barfleur did when she was fitted with the same system!

2 hours ago, Barry Thomas said:

Voyant qu'elle est toujours assise dans le chantier naval d'Odense, je suppose qu'elle dispose d'un « toasttrack » pour permettre la compatibilité avec les installations de chargement de Douvres. Je parie que ça a l'air aussi mauvais que Barfleur quand elle était équipée du même système !

Ramp has been removed and now she have a door