Ferries - remember them?

So with great weather forecast for tomorrow (Sunday) and no guarantee that the current levels of freedom will last, I decided to find something to do. 

And I found a ferry that is actually running and going somewhere I've never been before.

Here are some clues. Answers on a post(card).

Ed

20210327_181607.jpg

20210327_184040.jpg

20210327_184722.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, IanN said:

Anything to do with a Russian princess?

I don't think so. But I haven't got there yet. If she's waiting for me on the quayside I'll let you know. Tomorrow morning!

Ed

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, crechbleiz said:

Is it Fromentine? Ferry to Yeu?

It is indeed. A high-speed catamaran. Unfortunately you can't go on to the outside deck but for the Atlantic/Bay of Biscay in March it's not too rough. 

Ed

20210327_192943.jpg

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 3

If anyone gets the chance to visit Ile d'Yeu then this hotel is really nice. It only opened in July last year. It's also the only one currently open on the island (according to booking.com) so I can't guarantee it's the best but highly recommended. It's Le Caillou Blanc (White Stone) about 5 minutes walk south from the harbour overlooking the sea and with mainland France just visible in the distance. There's a pool and jacuzzi - the latter was being used last night - and they have kayaks available for guests apparently.

Ed

20210328_074432.jpg

20210328_074559.jpg

20210328_080705.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chef said:

Probably the only way  to get there .

No, there are the two catamarans, one of which I used last night, plus this rather unattractive car/freight/passenger ferry which operates a few times per week out of season. In the summer there are loads of crossings from two or three different ports.

Ed

20210328_085904.jpg

A French Air Force helicopter took off from the island's aerodrome after lunch. I doubt they stopped to eat as nothing here is open so perhaps they were bringing in extra vaccines for the elderly population.

Ed

20210328_141435.jpg

20210328_141529.jpg

I stopped off at the island's cemetery. Philippe Petain is burried there having died on the island where he spent his final years as a prisoner.

I also found a dozen Commonwealth war graves. Almost all of them seemed to have died in June 1940 but were from a range of different regiments. 

Ed

20210328_091953.jpg

20210328_144923.jpg

• Like 2

During yesterday's trip I came across a couple of information boards relating to notable ship wrecks around the coast of Ile dYeu. There may have been more on the public footpaths but the cycle path sometimes took me further inland so I may have missed them. Here are the two I found for anyone who's interested. They explain the background to the sinking and the ingenuity and heroism of islanders in trying to rescue the crews onboard. 

Ed

20210328_101333.jpg

20210328_105804.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1