Jump to content

What are the Options?


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

But Sky news were suggesting yesterday that France were looking at the possibility of brining in some form of restrictions for travellers from the UK due to the Indian Variant

It was first raised by the French Foreign Minister, Yve Le Drian, on RTL radio on Sunday. He said the plan was being worked on in conjunction with the UK Government. Make of that what you will.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, colinschandler said:

But Sky news were suggesting yesterday that France were looking at the possibility of brining in some form of restrictions for travellers from the UK due to the Indian Variant

It will be interesting to see what they say about Germany which has the Indian variant too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I noticed the second biggest visitor nation to France in 2019 was the UK, second only to and only slightly behind Germany. One just wonders what sort of `co operation` is being cooked up between the Governments of France and the UK..I suppose we`ll find out, or not, soon enough. Whatever it is will have as much, if not more, to do with politics as anything else. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Paully said:

One just wonders what sort of `co operation` is being cooked up

If it's a traditional English breakfast let's hope they didn't ask BF for advice. 🤭

Ed

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Here in Surrey yesterday cases were 9/100k. Boliton 451/100k. That's what you call a hot spot. You can sort of understand the way some European contries feel

Great to hear about the Surrey figure. We haven't been able to see our daughter and 4 year old grandson since last September so are really looking forward to going to New Malden on Sunday for a 4 day visit  Mrs C and myself and our daughter and partner are all "double jabbed".

We haven't been to Chez Breton since October but that is going on hold for a few weeks yet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Paully said:

It was first raised by the French Foreign Minister, Yve Le Drian, on RTL radio on Sunday. He said the plan was being worked on in conjunction with the UK Government. Make of that what you will.

France likes Reciprocity ! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Le Drian said that because there are concerns about the Indian variant, consideration was being given to whether some slightly stricter controls may be applied to UK arrivals, short of red listing, and that coordination was ongoing with UK authorities. Sounds pretty calm and sensible to me??? As for Germany having Indian variant? Why then have they restricted UK arrivals due to that variant? Bunch of numpties? This variant has been identified in many countries, and many are trying to contain and restrict spread whilst vaccine programs roll out. Will they succeed? Beyond my pay grade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, colin said:

Le Drian said that because there are concerns about the Indian variant, consideration was being given to whether some slightly stricter controls may be applied to UK arrivals, short of red listing, and that coordination was ongoing with UK authorities. Sounds pretty calm and sensible to me??? As for Germany having Indian variant? Why then have they restricted UK arrivals due to that variant? Bunch of numpties? This variant has been identified in many countries, and many are trying to contain and restrict spread whilst vaccine programs roll out. Will they succeed? Beyond my pay grade.

The German authorities turned up at a group of apartments without warning and locked them down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-57164317

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going back to the questions about formalities for arrivals in France, below is guidance issued by our "expert" to her many British nationals living in Brittany and Normandy.

BRITISH NATIONALS TRAVELLING TO FRANCE

1) British nationals not having resident status in an EU Member State and who wish to visit France for a short stay or who are in transit to another Member State or from the Schengen area will not need a visa

They will have to:

• Show their passport, which will be stamped on entry and exit from the Schengen area. The maximum period for a short stay will be 90 days in any 180-day period.

• Be able to prove that they have enough money for their stay. Normally, the minimum amount required for France will be 65 euros per day. [1]

• Carry a certificate of insurance covering any expenses relating to medical/hospital treatment and death that might be incurred at any point during the stay in France, including medical repatriation costs.

The supporting documents needed to verify fulfilment of entry conditions are listed in Annex I of the Schengen Borders Code, available here.

[1]
NO HOTEL : If a hotel booking is not produced as proof of accommodation, the minimum daily amount for staying in France will be 120 euros.

HOTEL BOOKED : If a hotel is booked for only part of a stay, the daily amount required will be 65 euros for the period covered by the booking and 120 euros for the remainder.

PRIVATE ACCOMODATION : For travellers with proof of private accommodation this sum will be 32.50 euros per day ---> in that case, the person hosting you has to request – at their local mairie - an "attestation d'accueil" prior to your visit. This certificate has to be validated and signed by the local authority. A tax stamp has to be bought online prior to the request at the mairie : 30 €

2) British nationals wishing to settle in France after 31 December 2020 should contact the French Embassy or a French consular authority to apply for a long-stay visa before travelling to France. They will be asked for this visa upon arrival in France.

3) British nationals living in France or another EU Member State before 31 December 2020 will be covered by the provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement signed by the United Kingdom and the European Union and will not need visas.

They must be able to:

• Show a residence permit bearing the words “Article 50 TUE” or confirmation of a residence permit application ; the latter option will be available only until 1 October 2021 for persons living in France.

• Show, if they have not yet applied for a residence permit in France or from the competent authorities of another Member State, documentary evidence of their resident status (proof of residence provided by a local authority, tenancy agreement, rent receipts, gas or electricity bills in their name dating from 2020).

Travellers are reminded that in this situation checks may take some time, especially if documents are not translated into French or English. Thus even if the Member State in which a British national is living has not made residence permits mandatory, obtaining one will facilitate the checking of documents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I suspect that all of the money, hotel stuff etc will not be asked for. A lot of Countries around the world have those requirements & I have never been asked for them, however I imagine that backpackers do !

The proof of repatriation insurance is interesting & I am not convinced that it is needed & will be an issue for those relying on a health card.

Re the money rule, that will be difficult at the ports, I have seen TV Programmes where the UK border force at airports have made people go to cash points to show a balance on their cards.

Edited by David Williams
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, colin said:

PRIVATE ACCOMODATION : For travellers with proof of private accommodation this sum will be 32.50 euros per day ---> in that case, the person hosting you has to request – at their local mairie - an "attestation d'accueil" prior to your visit. This certificate has to be validated and signed by the local authority. A tax stamp has to be bought online prior to the request at the mairie : 30 €

Does that mean gîte accommodation is classified as private and need this authority? Would this also include inclusive ferry/rental holidays too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Trun said:

Does that mean gîte accommodation is classified as private and need this authority? Would this also include inclusive ferry/rental holidays too?

If you have documents from a holiday company that would be enough, however all it is doing is ensuring that you can afford to stay in France without getting a job. As Colin’s note shows you can say no hotel and be ready to prove access to 120 Euros a day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, veryoldbear said:

And how does this work for those of us with a maison secondaire?

You could take your tax bill !

I don’t think that we should get too hung up about it. I will probably download a bank and credit card statement to my ipad in case of questions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I take the "hotel" as meaning paying accommodation of one sort or another, basically meaning you have somewhere to sleep other than under the stars on a park bench.

Second home owners should ensure they have documentary proof as David says above. Something relating to the property in your name like a utility bill should be enough.

Probably ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, colin said:

Probably ....

We will soon see how this operates in reality, however immigration questions are just prove that you will be leaving and that you can support yourself during your visit.

Gets even more complicated when you planning multiple European Countries !

 

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

We will soon see how this operates in reality, however immigration questions are just prove that you will be leaving and that you can support yourself during your visit.

 

 

And aren’t those questions just the same as UK Border Force will be asking of people arriving here ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, wortley said:

And aren’t those questions just the same as UK Border Force will be asking of people arriving here ?

Broadly yes, but in UK there seems to be a problem with documentary proof of settled status. For France it is a Titre de Séjour, credit sized ID type card. We have just got our post Brexit new ones replacing the "citizen of an EU country" pre Brexit ones. It seems that currently the Préfectures are accepting proof or more than 5 years residence as sufficient for issuing the card, without all the jumping through hoops we had before. This may be temporary? Time will tell, but there is certainly no witch hunt going on and a generally cooperative approach, even with people who have knowingly  tried to fudge things ...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, colin said:

but in UK there seems to be a problem with documentary proof of settled status.

Yes, the UK has a problem with issuing documents as they can be forged. The government prefers online verification, however that doesn’t work in all situations. I imagine that the eventual compromise will be a paper document that can be verified online. It is the same for driving licenses, penalty points are now only available online which gives some car hire companies more work.

However for tourists, it is exactly the same questions as they want to make sure that you will go at the end of your stay and not attempt to get work to pay for it.

ps However for trusted Countries they do not ask the questions and let them use the E Gates.

Edited by David Williams
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm hearing reports that quarantine will be obligatory for all travellers coming from the UK to France very shortly. Not a total ban like in Germany, and probably not in hotels, but somewhere. 

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...