Jump to content

What are the Options?


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'm hearing reports that quarantine will be obligatory for all travellers coming from the UK to France very shortly. Not a total ban like in Germany, and probably not in hotels, but somewhere. 

Ed

Been confirmed by government. Date of starting to follow soon. PCR test less than 36 hours before arrival, antibody test on arrival, need to confirm where you will quarantine, 1,000€ fine for breaking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/05/2021 at 12:57, cvabishop said:

Here in Surrey yesterday cases were 9/100k. Boliton 451/100k. That's what you call a hot spot. You can sort of understand the way some European contries feel

We have to be bit careful here Colin as nationally the figures are now adjusted if a positive LFT test is followed by a negative PCR test.  When looking at Regional and more local figures they're not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, colin said:

Been confirmed by government. Date of starting to follow soon. PCR test less than 36 hours before arrival, antibody test on arrival, need to confirm where you will quarantine, 1,000€ fine for breaking.

Makes you wonder why any of us bother with vaccines.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, colin said:

Been confirmed by government. Date of starting to follow soon. PCR test less than 36 hours before arrival, antibody test on arrival, need to confirm where you will quarantine, 1,000€ fine for breaking.

Any idea what the quarantine period might be? Would it mean that we would have to stay in our maison secondaire for the whole period and not be allowed to return to UK, say 7 days into a 10/14 day quarantine period?

I guess we would have to be allowed out of house arrest to get the antibody test. Bearing in mind that we are now not allowed to take most food products into France, would we be allowed out for essential food shopping?

I think that a visit this summer now would be more of  pain than a rest, so it looks like that we will wait until September at the earliest. 

Edited by colinschandler
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Devastating news for BF if this goes ahead. They might as well leave their hibernating fleet where it is. I don`t think there will be much call for it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the UK is merely added to the existing list of countries needing to isolate on arrival, it would be 10 days. The PCR test and the antibody test "on arrival" are also the current measures. Exactly what will apply for UK arrivals will be confirmed soon. I do not know the detail of isolation exemptions, for example for necessary provisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Devastating news for BF if this goes ahead. They might as well leave their hibernating fleet where it is. I don`t think there will be much call for it.

I imagine that this will be for a month or two depending on how the variants go on both sides of the channel. Europe is due to have a view in a week or so, they postponed a decision last time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, colin said:

PCR test less than 36 hours before arrival

Not easy to do that on the Western Channel, a lot easier from Dover or Folkestone especially with the French Border being in the UK

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Not easy to do that on the Western Channel, a lot easier from Dover or Folkestone especially with the French Border being in the UK

I think it is just lifted from existing procedure covering countries which do not connect to France by ferry. Just flights. We should find out details soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Arrived back into U.K. yesterday morning from work. Currently self isolating in Emsworth until at least the test to release kicks in, was supposed to be heading back to work next Thursday, double Pfizer vaccination, been tested more times than you can shake a stick at but feeling more and more like a leper with Smallpox....😳

Chris

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the various tests entailed in going to Europe by various means, passing therough other countries en route and then grappling with the consequences when returning to the UK from various destinations just seem to amount to a mountain of hassle and uncertainty. People seem to be spending inordinate amoounts of time trying to work out what they can and cannot do and what is entailed in facilitating their travel plans when the goal posts are moving all the time.

Unless it is really imperative for you to travel (and that doesn't include for holidays) then the best policy is just to wait it out. Economic imperatives dictate that the various rules will be consolidated and simplified as infection rates reduce & vaccination rates increase and the different European countries will jointly come into line to agree on mutually acceptable arrangements which will open up general travel in a consistent way. This could take until late summer but it will come as will generally accepted 'vaccination certificates'.

If you decide you can't wait then you have to chart your own way through the current dog's breakfast and accept whatever consequences you encounter without complaint.

It would seem that a lot of UK citizens departed on foreign holidays from 17th May. Most of them won't have come back yet, it will be interesting to see how things go when they do.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

All the various tests entailed in going to Europe by various means, passing therough other countries en route and then grappling with the consequences when returning to the UK from various destinations just seem to amount to a mountain of hassle and uncertainty. People seem to be spending inordinate amoounts of time trying to work out what they can and cannot do and what is entailed in facilitating their travel plans when the goal posts are moving all the time.

Exactly, however if we can go to Spain at the end of June and then onwards to our flat in France we will. We will make the final decision a week or so before travel, and accept that if the rules don’t change we will spend longer in Spain than anticipated.

I would not be surprised if Germany strongly suggests to Spain and Portugal that they should change their rules for the UK, the last thing that they want is their population mixing with ours.

Now that the UK has relaxed it’s rules we are just coming to an end to a pleasant 5 night break in Tewksbury and Bath, however it has not been cheap ! 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, colin said:

A cooperation between EU and UK on vaccination passports and all that would be very welcome, but seems unlikely in the political climate.

Especially as now they'll be distracted by Switzerland's decision too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

This new French restriction is due to take effect from Monday next week. Details of how it will work to follow I suppose.

Ed

I imagine that the weekends crossing will be busier than normal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

It looks like the quarantine will be 7 days.

Ed

7 days is a trivial matter for those who have a house in France to go to, although more of a problem for would be campers, and nothing compared with the situation for my number 2 son who is flying back to his own home in Hong Kong next week and has to pay £2000+ to be locked in a hotel room on arrival over there for 21 days. That's how they stop the virus coming in. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

and has to pay £2000+ to be locked in a hotel room on arrival over there for 21 days. That's how they stop the virus coming in. 

They can't stop the Chinese coming in and taking the place over though.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wortley said:

7 days is a trivial matter for those who have a house in France to go to, although more of a problem for would be campers, and nothing compared with the situation for my number 2 son who is flying back to his own home in Hong Kong next week and has to pay £2000+ to be locked in a hotel room on arrival over there for 21 days. That's how they stop the virus coming in. 

I think they are also limiting arrivals to those who are residents, French nationals or those with exceptional reasons to travel which may scupper the chances for second-home owners. 

Ed

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think they are also limiting arrivals to those who are residents, French nationals or those with exceptional reasons to travel which may scupper the chances for second-home owners. 

Ed

Would "for the purpose of paying taxes" be considered an exceptional reason to travel !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Chef said:

Would "for the purpose of paying taxes" be considered an exceptional reason to travel !

If you had an appointment for a physical meeting at the tax office and could prove it then that might just work. Legal or medical visits do qualify I think but probably only for the person concerned unless they need to be driven or accompanied to the appointment.

Ed

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...