4 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Yes, I know you can still get covid after vaccination. Yes, I know the aim is to keep people out of hospital.

It was my understanding that vaccines did this by stopping infection in many and reducing the symptoms in others.

The only way they can stop infection is if everyone around you is vaccinated... until a mutation comes along that needs something else. The symptoms are same for all coronaviruses, not everyone losses smell or taste and they tend to be a later onset which could be brought on by all manner of ENT ailments associated with congestive build up.

It's a mutating virus with a vast reservoir of carriers, infections will never be stopped. Everyone bangs on about Smallpox but that never changed, never mutated so never went on to produce variants.

Don't know what you mean by reduced symptoms? I mean I had Covid, still have the cough over year later but I never lost my sense of smell or taste. Compared to a sufferer who had all three during the varying stages of infection I could be classed as having reduced symptoms.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently the WHO has decided to change the way it refers to new variants of Covid-19 by giving them a letter of the Greek alphabet. Hence the UK (Kent) strain is Alpha, the South African strain is B

Had Covid and felt like sh!t for 10 days, for two of those I was seriously concerned. Worse than pneumonia. I was 48 at the time. Had the Oxford jab, felt like mild flu for 36 hours, still went t

Depends how you look at it. If you don't have the infection the LFT test is 99.68% accurate. If you do and you have a high viral load the LFT test is 95% accurate. There's no such thing as PCR te

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, jonno said:

The only way they can stop infection is if everyone around you is vaccinated

I was talking about individuals - e.g. fewer people become infected at all (to any level). Are you saying that doesn't happen? That the same number become infected just with less severe illness?

4 minutes ago, jonno said:

Don't know what you mean by reduced symptoms?

Let's call it reduced levels of severe illness. E.g. reduced requirement to ener hospital

20 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

was talking about individuals - e.g. fewer people become infected at all (to any level). Are you saying that doesn't happen? That the same number become infected just with less severe illness?

No the numbers won't be the same but the risk is still there for all individuals as no vaccine is universally effective. We'll still see fully vaccinated people admitted to hospital and we'll still see some of those die. 

It's the same with all viruses and bacteria we just learn to live with it and accept the risk.

• Like 1

It's the same with all viruses and bacteria we just learn to live with it and accept the risk.

indeed, just like flu, but there appear to be a lot of different views on what an acceptable level of risk is which, among other things, depends on age, underlying health issues and enhanced ethnic and other medical vulnerability.

As there is some degree of control over the level of risk via vaccinations then  it can be managed to some extent - but at what level? How many thousand deaths per annum are 'acceptable' for example? How long is a piece of string?

6 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

How many thousand deaths per annum are 'acceptable' for example? How long is a piece of string?

From a purely selfish point of view, it doesn’t matter as long as I’m not one of them. 😂

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jonno said:

No the numbers won't be the same but the risk is still there for all individuals as no vaccine is universally effective. We'll still see fully vaccinated people admitted to hospital and we'll still see some of those die. 

I see, that's what I thought.

I guess you were saying that we always knew that vaccines weren't going to be 100% effective. Sorry if I misunderstood

Edited by VikingVoyager
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Has anyone used a French Pharmacist to get an Antigen test?

I am interested in knowing the cost and whether you get a certificate with all of the info that the UK need ?

Thanks

I did one in February which I think was the antigen test. However it was free using my Carte Vitale and the information was only in French. There was a sign outside the building stating that the test might not be recognised for international travel.

Ed

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I did one in February which I think was the antigen test. However it was free using my Carte Vitale and the information was only in French. There was a sign outside the building stating that the test might not be recognised for international travel.

Ed

French is ok, the UK rules are

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

Your test result must be in either English, French or Spanish. Translations will not be accepted.

You must provide the original test result notification. It must include the following information:

• your name, which should match the name on your travel documents
  • your date of birth or age
  • the result of the test
  • the date the test sample was collected or received by the test provider
  • the name of the test provider and their contact details
  • confirmation of the device used for the test, or that the test was a PCR test

Europe seems to be starting to allow Antigen for travel

I'll see if I can find the paper this evening. I kept it even though it was negative and I can check what it says. I believe the price, if you pay directly, is around 55€.

Ed

• Thanks 1

OK I'm confused as ever. Am I correct in the belief that the test should be taken 72 hours before departure as quoted in 2 news websites today if travelling to France? Or is it 72 hours before arrival as quoted in the link above only when leaving France?

43 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

OK I'm confused as ever. Am I correct in the belief that the test should be taken 72 hours before departure as quoted in 2 news websites today if travelling to France? Or is it 72 hours before arrival as quoted in the link above only when leaving France?

As of tomorrow, if double vaccinated, Going to  France from the UK is 72 hours for PCR test and 48 hours for Antigen - I believe that is based on departure, however will be clearer tomorrow. Going to the UK is 72 hours before departure.

7 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'll see if I can find the paper this evening. I kept it even though it was negative and I can check what it says. I believe the price, if you pay directly, is around 55€.

Ed

Here are the details. Ed

20210608_204753.jpg

Has anyone gleaned any information regarding the disembarkation from Pont Aven yesterday regarding Guardia Civil checks for dairy products in caravan/ motorhome fridges/ cool boxes. Was entry paperwork checked?  Any information would be appreciated.