Jump to content

What are the Options?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

At large number of those who attend mass in France on a Sunday tend to leave the church just after receiving their wafers and without waiting until the final prayers and blessings are said. Any guesses why?

Ed

🍷 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, veryoldbear said:

We have a maison secondaire in Manche which we haven't seen since last August (I just hope we remembered to turn the power off). Lord knows what condition it will be in when we finally manage to get back ..........

Even with the power off, EDF will still be getting the euros for Abonnement!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

🍷 😀

Nope. It's so they can get to the bakery for bread and apple tarts before the crowds. That's according to my father-in-law who has been studying and perfecting the technique over several decades.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Nope. It's so they can get to the bakery for bread and apple tarts before the crowds. That's according to my father-in-law who has been studying and perfecting the technique over several decades.

Ed

Lots of churches are close to boulangeries ... And, whilst very little is open in France on Sundays, one simply cannot live without fresh croissants, bread, pastries and cakes, can one ....?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

At large number of those who attend mass in France on a Sunday tend to leave the church just after receiving their wafers and without waiting until the final prayers and blessings are said. Any guesses why?

Ed

Well in Ireland it was to get to the pub for opening time at 12:30 for a few and a read of the Sunday paper and then heading home for the Sunday dinner as the pubs closed at 2:30pm on Sunday for what was called the " Holy Hour " even though it was actually two hours they were closed for .

Edited by Chef
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, veryoldbear said:

And the estimated consumption grrrrr.

The estimated calculation always make me laugh. They seem pretty unchanged from month to month, then every couple of years we get an actual reading.  Followed by a huge refund....

Rhys

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread seems to be getting a bit off subject. I need to decide on what to do about our September 2021 booking to Spain. This is version 8 and BF continues to hold about £1,000 of ours. Version 1 was in February 2020, followed by April 2020, September 2020 and April 2021 etc. We would be happy to go in September 2021 if things will be safe by then, having both been jabbed twice. But nothing seems certain. Should we go for version 9 say in March 2022?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sandbanker said:

This thread seems to be getting a bit off subject. I need to decide on what to do about our September 2021 booking to Spain. This is version 8 and BF continues to hold about £1,000 of ours. Version 1 was in February 2020, followed by April 2020, September 2020 and April 2021 etc. We would be happy to go in September 2021 if things will be safe by then, having both been jabbed twice. But nothing seems certain. Should we go for version 9 say in March 2022?

My father is on version 4 now and has switched his booking to September 2021. He'll move it again if necessary but is happy to hold out for now and hope for the best.

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sandbanker said:

This thread seems to be getting a bit off subject. I need to decide on what to do about our September 2021 booking to Spain. This is version 8 and BF continues to hold about £1,000 of ours. Version 1 was in February 2020, followed by April 2020, September 2020 and April 2021 etc. We would be happy to go in September 2021 if things will be safe by then, having both been jabbed twice. But nothing seems certain. Should we go for version 9 say in March 2022?

Trouble is no one is knows what the situation is going to be like in September (or even 2022). We still don't even know if there are going to be any sailings in May!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am reasonably content with leaving my money with BF so long as I can continue to shift the booking as may be necessary and provided that the prices do not escalate. If BF cancels a crossing that we are currently booked on will they be obliged to release the money? Is there any other way to get refunded?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Sandbanker said:

If BF cancels a crossing that we are currently booked on will they be obliged to release the money? Is there any other way to get refunded?

As long as the crossing was paid for by card, if BF cancel the crossing then you will get a card refund - if you used a voucher for all / part of it you will get a replacement voucher for part of it,

To get a cash refund for an existing ticket you could tale a 'punt' at transferring it to the first PA Spanish sailing in May !

 

Edited by David Williams
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, David Williams said:

To get a cash refund for an existing ticket you could tale a 'punt' at transferring it to the first PA Spanish sailing in May !

 

If you mean May 2021, this is not an acceptable punt. It will not be safe to go by then. If we don't turn up and the crossing is not cancelled we will have lost our money. A booking in 2022 seems a safer bet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to say what will happen in September and the reason I went now (France) was because I was worried that first week of June might not happen and even if it did it would have been a short trip and quite costly. I did not need shops to be open or restaurants and that may be the risk of Sep that the tourist experience may not be in place by then. However the economics are getting so costly, that there will have to be a shift to opening up very soon, so my personal view would be that Spain will be crying out for tourists by then.

My trip was great, ferry was empty, no issues anywhere and roads very empty. The few people I saw were very welcoming. It was very definitely the right decision. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Sandbanker said:

If you mean May 2021, this is not an acceptable punt. It will not be safe to go by then. If we don't turn up and the crossing is not cancelled we will have lost our money. A booking in 2022 seems a safer bet.

Your question was how to get your money back.

One option is to move it now to the first crossing of May, if that is cancelled you get your money back, it it is not cancelled you can move it to next year ! - It depends on the ticket type and how much notice you need to give for amendments.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A bit early to be worrying about a September crossing I'd say. And we're up to version 16 on one of our tickets - and about to change again as 17 May to France is not looking too promising. But we'll do nothing until the early May announcement.

We're certainly still regarding October in Spain as a possibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, same here, P'mouth/Caen on June 12th, returning on 26th.

It was announced yesterday that the current French lockdown is set to end on May 3rd. That just leaves the small matter of where France will be in the UK traffic light system, once it's announced. I guess this will be in early May, by the 10th if not sooner.

Other than that, unless there are numerous tiresome regulations to follow, or complicated covid testing procedures, we're hoping to make a decision by May 10th, hopefully to travel but possibly on Version 8 of our booking!

We're very keen to travel, but are mindful that a holiday is meant to be a relaxing and enjoyable experience, not a stressful traffic light watching, risky experience. In a little over 2 weeks the picture should be clearer. Meanwhile it's a bit disappointing to read the latest BF online updates that are dated April 12th, and a message from the CEO which begins with "The Easter weekend is approaching fast...............".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to add to this , we had originally booked to travel in September 2020,  - Portsmouth to St Malo -  then swapped the dates to May 2021  and on the opening of 2022 dates swapped the sailing to September 2022... now we are thinking we might be able to swap back to September this year if things improve.  If not and we are allowed to leave Cheshire, we will be having 2 weeks in sunny Norfolk (M reg VW Coachbuilt camper - will travel). If we wait till 2022.. will Bretagne be gone and replaced by PA?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Reginald Slight said:

(M reg VW Coachbuilt camper - will travel). If we wait till 2022.. will Bretagne be gone and replaced by PA?

Welcome to Nutters Anonymous! I think we'll be waiting until 2023 and the arrival of Santona before there's a hope of PA replacing Bretagne.

Do you have a T4 A/S Clubman by any chance? Never understood why the monocoque was phased out, that thing could survive a nuclear winter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddies said:

At the moment travel is ment to open on May 17th from the UK, so what are the options for a trip over to Caen, from then.

None. 

France currently has over 1 million active cases.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...