What are the Options?

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Ah French 12-17 yr olds, we are due a depressed CEO message then !

My understanding, and I'll admit I was assembling an IKEA desk while watching the news so may have got things the wrong way round, is that the first dose certificate is enough until the end of August and full immunity is now available just 7 days after the second dose.

Ed

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

Has anyone had any experience with Randox ? The Day 2 test using the BF discount is good value. 

I have used them for Day 2/8 and for pre-UK departure.  Fortunately I live 2 miles from one of their drop boxes but for most it would be a long trip.  There is alternative of using DX courier.  All testing is done in Northern Ireland but I got next day result each time (I am in York).  You get a mail when sample checked into facility then result a few hours later.  I had no complaints.  One caveat, the web forms for inputting your details are for all types of test and have a couple of errors. Notably, asks if you are participating in either Day 2/8 or Test to release but if checked navigates to page applicable to test to release (which I wasnt doing!). Also asks if it is a 'Test for Travel' but this only apparently means a test PRE travel.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Thanks, that is helpful, I am only 5 miles from a dropbox so that won’t be difficult and at least I won’t be relying on the Royal Mail. After the BF discount, day 2 is only £45.

Or, I believe, only £43 using BritishAirways43 as discount code.

The prefect of Calvados has said that it is now mandatory to use the Health Pass for large gatherings and all of the local towns have cancelled the fireworks. Totally impossible to use it in the dark on an open promenade with loads of entrances !

13 hours ago, David Williams said:

Has anyone had any experience with Randox ? The Day 2 test using the BF discount is good value. 

Explain, please. Randox? Day 2 testing...? No idea what these are? (Be gentle with me. I am not as young as I usedtowas!

Randox is a covid testing company that BF link to on their site & a day 2 test is one you have to do after arriving from Green Countries , or Amber ones with a vaccination certificate. The test has to be done between 0 and 2 days after arrival.

The B/F offer reduces the price of a pre departure test with Randox before going from UK to France from £48 to £45 . No big deal because DAM Health will do the required antigen test and issue a certificate for £29.  Home testing and results within 24 hours unless you live near enough to one of their clinics. Details on line of course.

For the homeward journey a French pharmacie will do the job on the spot for 29 euros.

Back in UK the B/F offer is £90 for day 2 and day 8 tests. In fact day 8 tests are no longer requires so pay £69 to DAM Health. 

Edited by wortley
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, David Williams said:

Yes, I saw that, however I am not sure how legitimate it is to use it !

I wouldn't have any qualms. Randox are quite happy to plaster their advertising with £43 as a headline price (and to have Government claim credit for getting the industry to offer these prices) with small print pointing out that you need to use discount code to get it.

7 hours ago, wortley said:

The B/F offer reduces the price of a pre departure test with Randox before going from UK to France from £48 to £45 . No big deal because DAM Health will do the required antigen test and issue a certificate for £29.  Home testing and results within 24 hours unless you live near enough to one of their clinics. Details on line of course.

For the homeward journey a French pharmacie will do the job on the spot for 29 euros.

Back in UK the B/F offer is £90 for day 2 and day 8 tests. In fact day 8 tests are no longer requires so pay £69 to DAM Health. 

Home testing with next day results would make me nervous given that antiden tests have to be less than 48 hours.

21 minutes ago, ZinedineBiscan said:

In answer to the question, not many as the Guardian are reporting discussions are happening in Whitehall regarding France going onto the red list.....

Confirmed now to not be the case. France stays Amber. 

18 minutes ago, crechbleiz said:

Yes, I was a bit worried about the Guardian speculation and then they took an extra 30 mins to announce what the extra red 4 were which was not good on the nerves.

Just shows it is all a moving feast. You can go abroad under one set of conditions and another set might apply on your return. Look what has just happened with the Balearics.

We are not well served by our respective Governments with their wildly differing policies all out of sync with each other and pursuing separate policies. They all follow their own exclusive science and politics and reach different conclusions on similar data.

It's a bit like religion, every adherent is convinced that theirs is the only true way forward.

What's an average honest citizen to believe? Except that the politicians are essentially whistling in the dark.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Just shows it is all a moving feast. You can go abroad under one set of conditions and another set might apply on your return. Look what has just happened with the Balearics.

We are not well served by our respective Governments with their wildly differing policies all out of sync with each other and pursuing separate policies. They all follow their own exclusive science and politics and reach different conclusions on similar data.

It's a bit like religion, every adherent is convinced that theirs is the only true way forward.

What's an average honest citizen to believe? Except that the politicians are essentially whistling in the dark.

It is ever thus. You have the nail on the head.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Not good for working families at present, however for the rest BF is a good way to stay flexible and have a great holiday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crechbleiz said:

France not only stays amber …there is now no need for fully vaccinated people to quarantine at home for ten days on return. 

Edited by wortley

The Guardian report suggests that the Government were, at least, considering putting France on the Red list. I think, unless you have to, France remains for this year, a Dirty Harry destination.......Gotta ask yourself...Do I feel lucky?

We`re not....feeling lucky or going

Edited by Paully
  • Like 3

France is planning to vote through an emergency law next week forcing those who test positive for Covid to self-isolate for 10 days or face sanctions. Apparently those concerned will still be able to go out between 10am and 12 noon so I think I'll avoid supermarkets and other shopping activities between those times.

Ed

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paully said:

We`re not....feeling lucky or going

It is still a lovely place with friendly people and less infection than the UK.

Northern Spain is also a great place, I was surprised how impressive it is.

We just had to get out of the UK to open roads !

• Like 1