Jump to content

What are the Options?


Recommended Posts

Help! I lost my wife. Anyway, come morning I found her on the lawn. In amongst the ant hills. I had to take off the first 6 ft of growth with a rechargeable strimmer machine, and there she was!

Well, the story goes something like that. By the weekend, I hope to have something worthy of the title of lawn. The smell took me back to the 1950s when, as small children, we used to 'help' with the harvest in Somerset. Magical times. Perhaps , in time, I will look back on 2020 and 2021 on the lawn in Bricquebec and think 'magical times' . . . 

The good news is that everything works - corkscrew included.

 

Edited by rogerpatenall
spelling ( and doubts about the actual truth against fantasy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, David Williams said:

Reunion and France are on the Amber list separately and the special note just refers to France

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list

 

Yes we but you have to scroll all the way down to find the information for France. 

Reunion will go into a partial lockdown this weekend, a measure already taken for Martinique I believe.

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2021 at 17:15, colinschandler said:

Hi Ken, The deinitive rules can be found on https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass
Basically, without a smart phone which most government departments assume everyone has these days, you will need to use the NHS printed form. I intend to go belt and braces and get one anyway.

Quote from website:

Get a paper version (vaccination status only).

You can get an NHS COVID Pass letter sent to you in the post. This shows you've been vaccinated against COVID-19. It does not show COVID-19 test results.

You can ask for a letter after having your 2nd dose of the vaccine, or after a single-dose Janssen vaccine. You may need to wait 5 working days before using the service, so that your record will be up to date. You should get the letter within 5 working days.

You can use your letter at venues in England where you need to prove your COVID-19 status 2 weeks after you have been fully vaccinated.

You do not need to be registered with a GP surgery or have an NHS login for this. You can get a letter by:  requesting a COVID Pass letter online OR · by calling 119 – do not call 119 if you're travelling in more than 4 weeks' time. It is also known as a COVID-19 post vaccination letter. The paper version does not have an expiry date.

(whereas the downloaded PDF copy is only vaild for one month - don't ask me why)

Hope this helps

Can't help re Amber status. We started with a simple Red/Green/Amber.  We've already had "Green watchlist" and "Amber Plus" added so we could see a new  "Green Plus" or "Amber watchlist" or any of the as yet remaining unused colours of the rainbow added!!

Enjoy your two week holiday with the missus Ken regardless.

 

Thanks very much,  Colin and IanN. Very helpful!

Red, Amber, Green, Green watch, Amber Plus. Stop it with all the categories already! Just make up your minds. Either unlock fully or lock down fully. We know where we stand then.

 

At present, Gov.uk states: If you have been in France in the 10 days before you arrive in England, you must follow the standard amber list rules, even if you have been fully UK vaccinated. You must quarantine for 10 days and take both the day 2 and day 8 tests.

That contradicts itself as standard Amber rules, as of today,  say no quarantine required and day 8 test not required.

Edited by KenTownley
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

French TV has just said that the lockdown in Reunion is due to the rapid spread of Delta, NOT Beta. 

Ed

So far we have got to the easy greek letters, it is going to get confusing from this point in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, David Williams said:

An alphabet with pi, phi & psi is not great for International use !

I would suggest that "pi" (couldn't find a way of inserting the greek letter) is the most widely internationally used letter of the Greek alphabet. Thanks to the ancient Greek mathemeticians, every child worldwide learns at an early age how to calculate the diameter and area of a circle and then the volume of a sphere.

However to use "pie" as covid varient could well cause problems in the already suffering hospitality sector 😖👨‍🍳🥧 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

I would suggest that "pi" (couldn't find a way of inserting the greek letter) is the most widely internationally used letter of the Greek alphabet

pi ( π) is fine, however I not so sure that many would know phi(Φ  ) and psi( Ψ )

They would have been far better off sticking to the phonetic alphabet which was invented by the United Nations in the first place for air travel before it became known as the Nato Phonetic alphabet - it was even designed with some redundant letters for the French to leave off !

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, David Williams said:

pi ( π) is fine, however I not so sure that many would know phi(Φ  ) and psi( Ψ )

They would have been far better off sticking to the phonetic alphabet which was invented by the United Nations in the first place for air travel before it became known as the Nato Phonetic alphabet - it was even designed with some redundant letters for the French to leave off !

We've already used Alpha (Alfa) and Delta. The Hotel variant would be the one with mandatory quarrantine, the November one the possible 4th wave, the India one we've already had, the Zulu one would be considered racist and the Yankee one would definitely not be accepted by Trump and ihis republican conspiracy theorists. The list could go one!

Edited by colinschandler
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update on testing, we took the Randox day 8 tests yesterday and received the negative results around midday today.

The day 2 results were received by 9am the next day.

Both were better than the quoted service level of midnight. We did have some questions re despatch of the day 8 set (as we had originally just ordered day 2) and did get sensible replies on facebook messenger.

Therefore, it seems to be good value (the airline discounts are better than the BF one !) and reliable,  however the kits should be ordered well in advance of need, they are not put though door (left with neighbour) and it is vital to ensure you have a dropbox or DX depot close - the dropbox is especially needed around weekends.

Total cost of tests were 25 Euros in France to return and £86 for day2/8 in the UK per person (ie less than £110 per person in total).  Note that in Scotland and Wales kits are twice the price !

Totally sick of the daily calls, with one exception they all wanted to read through their scripts as fast as possible with no attempt at clarity.

I was surprised just how much tension is caused by taking the 3 tests.

Re leaving France, I don't see the point of taking any test other than the Antigen, it is all properly controlled with a nice printed certificate in 10 mins - just make sure that the contact details of the Pharmacist are stamped on it .

Edited by David Williams
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

Update on testing, we took the Randox day 8 tests yesterday and received the negative results around midday today.

The day 2 results were received by 9am the next day.

Both were better than the quoted service level of midnight. We did have some questions re despatch of the day 8 set (as we had originally just ordered day 2) and did get sensible replies on facebook messenger.

Therefore, it seems to be good value (the airline discounts are better than the BF one !) and reliable,  however the kits should be ordered well in advance of need, they are not put though door (left with neighbour) and it is vital to ensure you have a dropbox or DX depot close - the dropbox is especially needed around weekends.

Total cost of tests were 25 Euros in France to return and £86 for day2/8 in the UK per person (ie less than £110 per person in total).  Note that in Scotland and Wales kits are twice the price !

Totally sick of the daily calls, with one exception they all wanted to read through their scripts as fast as possible with no attempt at clarity.

I was surprised just how much tension is caused by taking the 3 tests.

Re leaving France, I don't see the point of taking any test other than the Antigen, it is all properly controlled with a nice printed certificate in 10 mins - just make sure that the contact details of the Pharmacist are stamped on it .

Previously the reason for taking PCR was that it was free but antigen not. Now that both are payable then I agree, no reason to get PCR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/07/2021 at 21:57, Yorky said:

I have just heard from 2 sources that if you take NHS vaccination status (including batch numbers) into a pharmacist in France, they will register them on the national system and generate a QR code that can be read by Tous Anti Covid and which can be read by the  Tous Anti Covid Verif app used by venues.

Went to pharmacy today.  They struggled valiantly to generate a certificate but drew a blank when trying to input details of vaccination centre. We left copy of our NHS certificates with them.  Just received call to say that, after calling for advice, they have produced certificates, which are waiting for us. I can guarantee that it will be the only request they get. In six weeks in Cotentin, I have only seen one British car.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I drove back cross country from the Massif Centrale to Angers yesterday - not something I'd advise in July if you value your sanity - but I wanted to see a wolf park near Guéret for whom I did some translation work over a decade ago and have never got around to actually visiting.

While there I overheard a family from the UK talking among themselves and got the impression that the parents and their four children were visiting the retired grandparents who live in the Creuse region. They mentioned something along the lines of, 'the last time we were here there was a larger pack of wolves in the enclosure...'. 

I spoke to the father a little later as we were both getting bored while our wives and children browsed the gift shop. He said they came from near Hereford and were prepared to do their 10 days quarantine at home on return (in a fortnight's time) as they had a large garden and plenty of space. I asked him what would happen if the UK government put France on the red list in the meantime and they had to pay for hotel quarantine. His reaction was along the lines of 'good luck with that!' (put somewhat less politely) as they were travelling with three large dogs which would be difficult to put up in a hotel.

I saw a number of UK(registered cars yesterday but nowhere near the number you would expect for this time of year.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

 'the last time we were here there was a larger pack of wolves in the enclosure...'. 

Guess where the" three large dogs " in the back of the car came from .

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I asked him what would happen if the UK government put France on the red list in the meantime and they had to pay for hotel quarantine. His reaction was along the lines of 'good luck with that!' (put somewhat less politely) as they were travelling with three large dogs which would be difficult to put up in a hotel.

Yes, I have wondered what would happen if suddenly Spain were to be put on the red list. I can't see a potential 2400 passengers and 650 cars (plus various canines) disembarking the PA in Plymouth all being put up in local quarantine hotels. Then my thoughts wandered to all the Royal Marines in Plymouth, Dartmoor being nearby and I had a dystopian vision of camps with watch towers being erected and hapless passengers being concentrated together and having to pay for the privilege. Then I realised I watch too many sci fi films. It's not as if, like in a Hollywood blockbuster, an evil pandemic has swept across the globe......

Seriously, I suspect that once again HMG thinking is focused on flights and ignores the sea routes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AmigoCirculo said:

Yes, I have wondered what would happen if suddenly Spain were to be put on the red list. I can't see a potential 2400 passengers and 650 cars (plus various canines) disembarking the PA in Plymouth all being put up in local quarantine hotels. Then my thoughts wandered to all the Royal Marines in Plymouth, Dartmoor being nearby and I had a dystopian vision of camps with watch towers being erected and hapless passengers being concentrated together and having to pay for the privilege. Then I realised I watch too many sci fi films. It's not as if, like in a Hollywood blockbuster, an evil pandemic has swept across the globe......

Seriously, I suspect that once again HMG thinking is focused on flights and ignores the sea routes.

Yes, I should have added that the family yesterday were travelling via the tunnel but, as you say, the logistics of a red-list situation just aren't feasible.

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AmigoCirculo said:

Yes, I have wondered what would happen if suddenly Spain were to be put on the red list. I can't see a potential 2400 passengers and 650 cars (plus various canines) disembarking the PA in Plymouth all being put up in local quarantine hotels. Then my thoughts wandered to all the Royal Marines in Plymouth, Dartmoor being nearby and I had a dystopian vision of camps with watch towers being erected and hapless passengers being concentrated together and having to pay for the privilege. Then I realised I watch too many sci fi films. It's not as if, like in a Hollywood blockbuster, an evil pandemic has swept across the globe......

Seriously, I suspect that once again HMG thinking is focused on flights and ignores the sea routes.

All arrivals from Red list countries have to reach UK at one of seven designated airports. If Spain went on to Red list it would mean storing vehicles in Spain and flying to one of those seven airports and then being met there and escorted to a quarantine hotel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Solo said:

You have to remember, those making the rules always fly first class, normally at our expense and wouldn't even think about us using ferries.

Not always. I met an MP on Ryanair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...