What are the Options?

37 minutes ago, wortley said:

Thank you for your concern. Those who have to travel for reasons other than tourism have big hurdles to jump. We are just grateful that our son made the effort to visit us from Hong Kong when his mother was ill. 

Social distancing on the plane to London with two out of three ordinary seats taped off meant he had to pay through the nose for Business class. With just one jab in his arm there was testing before and after the flight of course, and twice more while he was isolating with us for ten days. All to pay for.

Then as a non resident he had to pay a GP here to organise a second Pfizer jab in UK before he was allowed to fly back. Another test to pay for at Heathrow and another on arrival at Hong Kong - he had to sit under guard in the airport there till they got the PCR result. Then driven to a quarantine hotel and locked up at his own expense for two weeks in an upstairs room - and fitted with a tag like a convict in case he went out of the room. Covid prison he said. And just after he got out the two weeks in the upstairs room were increased to three weeks - even for families with young children -and then flights from UK were stopped altogether.

So when I read of people’s experience of the ferry to France it seems pretty easy by comparison.

Best regards to you all.

It sounds a bit like Vietnam. This is a photo of Saigon this morning I was sent by a friend who lives there.

Ed

IMG-20210820-WA0000.jpg

Interesting observation here in Pyrenees Orientales. We went shopping on Friday afternoon to Auchan in Perpignan, one of three shopping centres where you have to have your covid pass OK'd to enter the mall. The whole centre and supermarket areas were a lot quieter than usual, with lots of space between customers and no queues at checkout.  Even the car park was the quietest we seen fir years at this time of year.

Is this down to poor uptake by the French for the vaccine? Has anyone else seen similar?

Just seen a tweet from someone going to the UK that highlights why I prefer Antigen tests for the return trip. It also highlights the importance of checking that the phone number is correct, however that is just speculation.

ps it also highlights the risk of travelling on a Sunday / Monday

Edited by David Williams

My 12-year-old had her 2nd dose of Pfizer yesterday. Other than a sore arm and a bit of a headache this evening everything is fine. I don't see how the UK government can put off doing the same for much longer.

Ed

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I don't see how the UK government can put off doing the same for much longer.

And Nicola Sturgeon will decide to put her own tweek on anything the UK government does.

9 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

And Nicola Sturgeon will decide to put her own tweek on anything the UK government does.

What does that mean? She can't really change much except insisting that all jabs are done in bottoms rather than arms.

Ed

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, David Williams said:

All of the 4 nations get the same advice, however the Doctors on the panel have not yet said that it is in the best interest of a 12 year old to get the jab, ethically they can’t recommend the jab if it is not.

But surely if it's in the interest of the rest of the population then that makes sense. If they can't spread it so easily, and there is no major health risk to that age group by vaccinating them, then it's worthwhile. 

Ed

I need to do a day trip from Portsmouth, to Caen, for reasons of my own.

What I can not see or find out is about testing for covid, can anyone help with the what the options are.

Thank you.

28 minutes ago, Eddies said:

I need to do a day trip from Portsmouth, to Caen, for reasons of my own.

What I can not see or find out is about testing for covid, can anyone help with the what the options are.

Thank you.

Same rules as any duration ie vaccination certificate, pre return test and day 2 test, the only difference is that you could do the pre return test before you go !
Rules are all set out in

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus/faqs

• Like 1

Morning All,

Need some help please. I'm up to date with what France and the UK want from me as regards the procedure and tests to enter France and return to the UK but my wife is  trying to deal with an elderly uncle living in France who is thinking of visiting  his son  in hospital down here in Devon. 

We think he holds a UK passport and some residence status in France. I presume he would need the same  tests we would need to enter the uk or return to France. 

Would he have to quarantine in the UK? We were thinking of putting him up at our home. Any thoughts please?

Any body know what the rules are on someone from abroad visiting a son in hospital in a non covid ward. Son is in Derriford  hospital in Plymouth. He also may want to visit the sons house in Cornwall to check everything is ok but we are really struggling with the idea of offering  him to stay with us after visiting the uk capital of covid ( Cornwall ).

Edited by straightfeed

23 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Would he have to quarantine in the UK? We were thinking of putting him up at our home. Any thoughts please?

The key is vaccination, as long as he has been vaccinated and both jabs were the same EU approved vaccine then he won’t need to quarantine at present.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Any body know what the rules are on someone from abroad visiting a son in hospital in a non covid ward. Son is in Derriford  hospital in Plymouth. He also may want to visit the sons house in Cornwall to check everything is ok but we are really struggling with the idea of offering  him to stay with us after visiting the uk capital of covid ( Cornwall ).

Hospital visiting varies from hospital to hospital. My dad has been in hospital for 9 weeks, initially in a major city hospital and now in the geriatric unit of a smaller community hospital, both within the same health board. In the large hospital, my stepmum was able to spend much of the day with him but where he is now she is only allowed to visit for an hour a day at a prearranged time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Any body know what the rules are on someone from abroad visiting a son in hospital in a non covid ward. Son is in Derriford  hospital in Plymouth. 

Earlier this year Derriford had a strict no visiting rule but about 3 months ago changed that to one visitor for one hour for one patient in a bay of six beds. With the number of cases of Covid in Devon and Cornwall being currently so high they may be forced to tighten their rules once again.

• Like 1

Ed knows better than  I do, though I would think the same “pass sanitaire” your uncle already has to go shopping in France, an antigen test at a pharmacie in the 72 hours before departure, and a pre booked Day 2 test in UK with details entered on a UK locator form. The new normal. 

• Like 1

Thanks again, really appreciated.
I wanted to get this lined up for uncle before he commits to travel. At the mo he is trying to find out if the para medics locked his home (he lives alone) after they took him away. Chris was found unconscious by a delivery man. The hospital nurse says he is improving but his Doc  at Derriford hospital says its not looking good.

We have found his cleaning lady who knows where a key may be.

Thanks again.

Stu

48 minutes ago, wortley said:

Ed knows better than  I do, though I would think the same “pass sanitaire” your uncle already has to go shopping in France, an antigen test at a pharmacie in the 72 hours before departure, and a pre booked Day 2 test in UK with details entered on a UK locator form. The new normal. 

The question relating to the second dose is to determine whether he already has a paper copy of his vaccination certificate with a QR code (issued automatically from 1st July) or just the printed proof for each jab. If the latter then someone will need to get the QR code version for him off Ameli (social security) to make things easier. If he already has one or used Tous Anti Covid then that's great. 

He'll also need a sworn statement to get back into France but I can send Straightfeed the link to print that if necessary.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

The UK rules for incoming jabs are:-

You need to show an EU Digital COVID Certificate (EU DCC), showing you’ve had a full course of an EMA or Swissmedic-approved vaccine in one of the listed European countries.

You can show either a digital or paper certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england

However you have to be careful, even if it counts in France it does not always count in the UK.

An AZ jab followed by a Pyzer jab does not qualify and a single jab following a documented illness does not qualify either.

6 minutes ago, David Williams said:

An AZ jab followed by a Pyzer jab does not qualify and a single jab following a documented illness does not qualify either.

That concerns quite a lot of people, especially young doctors who often take their holidays in September, and I suspect few people are aware of the rule. Luckily most of them are heading to more exotic destinations which might not be so picky.

Ed

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

That concerns quite a lot of people, especially young doctors who often take their holidays in September, and I suspect few people are aware of the rule. Luckily most of them are heading to more exotic destinations which might not be so picky.

Ed

That rule surprised a number of travel journalists and I am not sure if whether it is being enforced or not. I think that it is crazy as we are trying to open up borders and we should just be saying successfully jabbed according to the Countries rules.