What are the Options?

The EU is recommending that member states restrict incoming tourists from the USA due to rising Covid numbers in the country. The advice is non-binding and it will be interesting to see what France decides to do as there have been a large number of wealthy Americans in Paris this summer, spending more than is usual and enjoying the less busy attractions. That popularity is likely to continue in September, I would imagine, particularly if  visitors can combine trips with stays in other capitals or Mediterranean cruises. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58386967

Ed

18 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The question relating to the second dose is to determine whether he already has a paper copy of his vaccination certificate with a QR code (issued automatically from 1st July) or just the printed proof for each jab. If the latter then someone will need to get the QR code version for him off Ameli (social security) to make things easier. If he already has one or used Tous Anti Covid then that's great. 

He'll also need a sworn statement to get back into France but I can send Straightfeed the link to print that if necessary.

Ed

Thanks Ed.

I'll get back to you if Uncle wants to travel over to the UK. He is now in contact with the hospital so his main concern appears to be having his sons house locked up securely. We shall see what he wants to do.

Looks like the C.1.2 variant has the scientists very worried. Furthest and fastest mutated yet. Found mainly in South Africa, but also Cornwall where it seems a massive 50,000+ concert didn't help.

Would not be surprised to see travel restrictions being imposed as this variant probably most likely to dodge current vaccines.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, colin said:

Looks like the C.1.2 variant has the scientists very worried. Furthest and fastest mutated yet. Found mainly in South Africa, but also Cornwall where it seems a massive 50,000+ concert didn't help.

Would not be surprised to see travel restrictions being imposed as this variant probably most likely to dodge current vaccines.

Here we go again another bunch of scientists looking for funding. The virus is here it will mutate we have to accept that

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

I've been back a work for three weeks now and a very unscientific study of the people and companies I've seen since the Health Pass took effect reveals the following:

- Many of those who didn't want to get vaccinated still don't and haven't.

- They are however happy to remove their masks whenever possible, relying on those vaccinated to protect them

- Those who reluctantly agreed to accept the vaccination to return to normal life also now think that masks are no longer necessary despite legislation relating to the workplace remaining unchanged.

- People whose employers are insisting on the Health Pass being shown are still happy to get tested on Saturdays and Tuesdays to cover the working week.

- These people have not yet decided what they will do when the tests need to be paid for but are trying to find ways around the problem.

- The hospital in Angers has just contacted me to remind me I need to show my pass when I return to work there next week, despite me only working in the training centre.

Ed

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I've been back a work for three weeks now and a very unscientific study of the people and companies I've seen since the Health Pass took effect reveals the following:

- Many of those who didn't want to get vaccinated still don't and haven't.

- They are however happy to remove their masks whenever possible, relying on those vaccinated to protect them

- Those who reluctantly agreed to accept the vaccination to return to normal life also now think that masks are no longer necessary despite legislation relating to the workplace remaining unchanged.

- People whose employers are insisting on the Health Pass being shown are still happy to get tested on Saturdays and Tuesdays to cover the working week.

- These people have not yet decided what they will do when the tests need to be paid for but are trying to find ways around the problem.

- The hospital in Angers has just contacted me to remind me I need to show my pass when I return to work there next week, despite me only working in the training centre.

Ed

We have very willingly accepted both jabs and have got our Spanish VacPass so on that front all OK. We wear masks whenever we think there might be any need but I defer to your greater knowledge on masks. I thought that up to FFP2 they protected others not you, FFP3 protects us and you but so far not been able to find any in pharmacies or online!

My sister and her boyfriend have just been given 3rd doses of the Pfizer vaccine and are each due a 4th dose in a month or so. Apparently the doctor who gave them their 1st doses is being investigated over the unorthodox methods he used which didn't fit with the guidelines and therefore the authorities are worried they might not have been effective.

Ed

Apparently the doctor who gave them their 1st doses is being investigated over the unorthodox methods he used which didn't fit with the guidelines

Does this mean he administered it in the traditional French way for medications?

In which case the mind boggles....

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Does this mean he administered it in the traditional French way for medications?

In which case the mind boggles....

No, it was in the UK but also in his garden at 10.30 pm with unused doses from a vaccination centre which would otherwise have been thrown away as at the limit of their lifespan outside the fridge. 

Ed

I spoke to someone who popped over to Spain twice during her early August holidays. Her eldest daughter who, at the time, was neither fully vaccinated nor had been tested managed to get in and out of both Switzerland and Italy in late July. For both mother and daughter the border crossing areas were deserted and there were no Police or immigration officials to be seen when travelling in either direction. All the crossing points were the classic ones with loads of traffic.  

Ed

16 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I spoke to someone who popped over to Spain twice during her early August holidays. Her eldest daughter who, at the time, was neither fully vaccinated nor had been tested managed to get in and out of both Switzerland and Italy in late July. For both mother and daughter the border crossing areas were deserted and there were no Police or immigration officials to be seen when travelling in either direction. All the crossing points were the classic ones with loads of traffic.  

Ed

We were visiting the wife's family in Belgium at the weekend. Due to the onerous Belgian rules, we decided to stay in Lille to meet them. However, they eased the rules last week which allowed us to visit for less than 48 hours without testing, quarantining or filling in a plf. We went in by car on Friday afternoon and Sunday morning but TGV on Saturday. Didn't get stopped anywhere in the car but when we got off the TGV in Brussels, a line of police greeted the train but they just wanted to see everyone's vaccination QR codes. I'm sure I could have flashed them a QR code from collecting a parcel and they'd have waved me through though. 

Also amused me they wanted to see Tous Anti Covid codes as the Belgians haven't been arsed to build their own app yet. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CirrusDesAigles said:

We were visiting the wife's family in Belgium at the weekend. Due to the onerous Belgian rules, we decided to stay in Lille to meet them. However, they eased the rules last week which allowed us to visit for less than 48 hours without testing, quarantining or filling in a plf. We went in by car on Friday afternoon and Sunday morning but TGV on Saturday. Didn't get stopped anywhere in the car but when we got off the TGV in Brussels, a line of police greeted the train but they just wanted to see everyone's vaccination QR codes. I'm sure I could have flashed them a QR code from collecting a parcel and they'd have waved me through though. 

Also amused me they wanted to see Tous Anti Covid codes as the Belgians haven't been arsed to build their own app yet. 

They would probably end up building two different apps for North and South. It's a Belgian thing.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

My sister says she's hearing the traffic light system might be dropped in early October.

Ed

Who knows, the next review of the system is due by the end of September , there is an amount of speculation. In addition the next reclassification of Countries is due in a week and then a month.

Is there any noise in France with changing their traffic lights or the Countries in each category ?

Edited by David Williams

10 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Is there any noise in France with changing their traffic lights or the Countries in each category ?

Not until they've buried Jean-Paul Belmondo. That's the only thing which matters in France right now. I think they are planning to drop the coffin from a helicopter and hope it lands in the hole, or somewhere near it at least. 

Ed

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Not until they've buried Jean-Paul Belmondo. That's the only thing which matters in France right now. I think they are planning to drop the coffin from a helicopter and hope it lands in the hole, or somewhere near it at least. 

Ed

A bit of respect please.If that is not too much to ask.

Apologies to anyone who was offended by my previous post.

As to the traffic light system, it doesn't seem to have been updated since late August. I'd also say that very few French people I know are aware of how it works and are not really worried. As long as they can travel in mainland Europe if necessary then that's enough for most people.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus/deplacements&ved=2ahUKEwjG04Wi0u_yAhVmzoUKHZJFCcwQFnoECAsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw28f08t1esh3ZCrMQ9YCYDV&cshid=1631113243218

Ed

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

As to the traffic light system, it doesn't seem to have been updated since late August

Hopefully it will stay stable. I have a Nile Cruise booked for November and Egypt is currently Red for the UK and Amber for France. Nearer the time we will be looking at the option  of staying in France for 10 days on our way home.

29 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Apologies to anyone who was offended by my previous post.

As to the traffic light system, it doesn't seem to have been updated since late August. I'd also say that very few French people I know are aware of how it works and are not really worried. As long as they can travel in mainland Europe if necessary then that's enough for most people.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus/deplacements&ved=2ahUKEwjG04Wi0u_yAhVmzoUKHZJFCcwQFnoECAsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw28f08t1esh3ZCrMQ9YCYDV&cshid=1631113243218

Ed

In our hotel I guess there must be about 20 French Couples, 3 Brits, The rest mainly Spanish. On the terrace this afternoon it must have been 90% French. Not a covid pass to be seen