What are the Options?

14 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

BBC are saying today that the Traffic Light system should be updated by 1st October. Red category is expected to remain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58491245

The important thing is that they have to review it by the 1st October, as that was one of the 3 review dates, and publish any relevant changes. However I suspect that it is too early to predict the outcome as Science and Politics have to come together !

I would not worry to much we are currently according to the numbers 7 times higher than Spain and 4 times higher than France in terms of infection rates. So it's more to do with what our neighbours allow than to what are beloved leaders dictate. I currently do not believe any of the headline figures published it's as if we are trying to deter people from visiting the UK. Would any of you come given our supposed infection rates. If Spain is so much better than the UK why are we not sending a task force out here to understand why. I am sure MP's would like a free two week trip on expenses

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IanN said:

I would not worry to much we are currently according to the numbers 7 times higher than Spain and 4 times higher than France in terms of infection rates. So it's more to do with what our neighbours allow than to what are beloved leaders dictate. I currently do not believe any of the headline figures published it's as if we are trying to deter people from visiting the UK. Would any of you come given our supposed infection rates. If Spain is so much better than the UK why are we not sending a task force out here to understand why. I am sure MP's would like a free two week trip on expenses

We have a system that is unique. Double jabbed, we have to buy our way back into our own country using a system  that was set up with no regulation, very expensive and charged us VAT as well. It clearly has not had the effect of regenerating the holiday industry abroad. Its produced a cost burden for the average family.

Any other countries do the same?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, straightfeed said:

We have a system that is unique. Double jabbed, we have to buy our way back into our own country using a system  that was set up with no regulation, very expensive and charged us VAT as well. It clearly has not had the effect of regenerating the holiday industry abroad. Its produced a cost burden for the average family.

Any other countries do the same?

Try living in  Hong Kong as number 2 son has done with full residency status for 25 years.
Buying his way back in to that country after a visit to UK involved him spending £2000 for a fortnight’s lock up in an hotel room. The British system of simply a day2 jab would have delighted him.

On 03/09/2021 at 11:05, Cabin-boy said:

The hospital in Angers has just contacted me to remind me I need to show my pass when I return to work there next week, despite me only working in the training centre.

So I turned up at the hospital this evening to test five doctors before putting them in the appropriate groups for their lessons starting in October. I went into the security office to pick up the keys I needed, brandishing my Covid Health Pass. Three guards I've known for the last 15-odd years were sitting around watching the CCTV feeds. None of them had masks on despite the sign on the door clearly stating it was a requirement. "Oh, don't worry about that," one of them said, swatting my smartphone aside, "We trust you!"

Ed

23 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Does the Roscoff terminal building stay open all night to serve these very early departures? Well,  7.30 am latest checking is early for me! Just might need a pee after a 2 hour drive?

Thanks

I'd be very surprised if they did. I suspect the reopen 90 minutes before the scheduled departure.

Ed

14 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Must be checked in by depart minus 90 mins so the they will be turned away surely.

Is that rule really still in place? Adding so much extra time to a fairly short crossing is wasteful. If they provided electric car charging points once inside the lanes area then that would be an incentive.

Ed

15 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Is that rule really still in place? Adding so much extra time to a fairly short crossing is wasteful. If they provided electric car charging points once inside the lanes area then that would be an incentive.

Ed

Yes the rule is still there, they are now justifying it on form checking.

I think that in most ports they generally open up checkin about 3 hours before sailing, however they try not to turn away late arrivals if they can process them in time, however there are some variances.

At Cherbourg last year they opened checkin 90 mins before sailing, however a loo was available in the terminal before checkin.

Edited by David Williams

At check-in at Roscoff last Friday evening for sailing to Cork, our check-in didn't take any longer than usual. Handed over ticket, vac certificate and passport plus BF lady wanted sight of our receipts for Passenger Locator Form. Suspect that some passengers didn't have phones or forms ready.

French immigration took longer (only two agents on duty for 200+ cars) 

Despite everybody arriving early for check-in it took forever to load PA and we left nearly an hour late. Present timetable means PA doesn't dock from Plymouth until 1930 with scheduled departure to Cork at 2200 or 2215 - a very tight turnaround. We got on at 2145 and some cabins still not ready.

20 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Is that one of the reasons for you using the tunnel?

Ed

We are actually using DFDS from Dover, however the recommended port arrival times are the same as they say 45 mins checkin, however you only get to that once you are through French passport control and they recommend another 45 mins for that.

We felt like a change and wanted to see Dover Castle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

At check-in at Roscoff last Friday evening for sailing to Cork, our check-in didn't take any longer than usual. Handed over ticket, vac certificate and passport plus BF lady wanted sight of our receipts for Passenger Locator Form. Suspect that some passengers didn't have phones or forms ready.

French immigration took longer (only two agents on duty for 200+ cars) 

Despite everybody arriving early for check-in it took forever to load PA and we left nearly an hour late. Present timetable means PA doesn't dock from Plymouth until 1930 with scheduled departure to Cork at 2200 or 2215 - a very tight turnaround. We got on at 2145 and some cabins still not ready.

Have you noticed the Plymouth Santander crossings also depart about an hour late

Am double checking,we sail to bilbao on the 11 October,so we don't need any paper work for the outward leg of our trip?on the return trip don't need anything either?when getting back to the uk have to get 2 tests day 2 and day 8.do you have to pre order them of just wait until you get back to uk.so many conflicting stories off different people.so I thought the best place to ask is on this page.with a lot of people going back and forwards to France have the experience in what to do.stay safe

The Covid situation here in France is largely under control and the government is therefore envisaging a relaxation of the rules relating to the health pass. The details are not clear for now but it's likely that it will become locally applicable depending on the rate of infection etc, and there could be variations at department or regional level. I suspect the latter is more realistic for reasons of simplicity. 

Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nodwad said:

Am double checking,we sail to bilbao on the 11 October,so we don't need any paper work for the outward leg of our trip?on the return trip don't need anything either?when getting back to the uk have to get 2 tests day 2 and day 8.do you have to pre order them of just wait until you get back to uk.so many conflicting stories off different people.so I thought the best place to ask is on this page.with a lot of people going back and forwards to France have the experience in what to do.stay safe

Best place to ask is not on here but on UK government website.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wortley said:

Here's me thinking the goverment took the advice off this site,yes you are right the goverment site is the best way forward.

4 hours ago, nodwad said:

Am double checking,we sail to bilbao on the 11 October,so we don't need any paper work for the outward leg of our trip?on the return trip don't need anything either?

You will need paperwork for both legs, however if double jabbed no tests prior to sailing.

You will need a day 2 test, however depending on your return date it may be different. Current English rules are https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

6 hours ago, wortley said:

Whilst advice on what tests are required is best left to gov.uk I can say as a generalisation that whatever they are must be booked before setting off for UK as you can't complete passenger locator form without the code

• Like 1