What are the Options?

22 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes, it does seem that testing is a fairly useless way of evaluating the overall picture. The national incidence rate is also not much use as France is at 43 but the Lozère department is experiencing a surge in cases at 102. That means some villages might be incredibly safe or incredibly dangerous depending on which side of the street you walk down. 

Ed

In the UK we would now send a team to Lozere to surge test the area making sure we got all the positive cases 

9 hours ago, IanN said:

Not sure how to compare it with France but I believe it is higher but It comes back to who you target test. Do you believe we are 8 times worse than Spain? 

I suspect we may well be, Ian. Both you and I have experienced recently how seriously the Spanish still take social distancing, mask wearing and sanitizing hands in public places. I'm a linguist, not a virologist, but I'm sure all those precautions must have a positive effect when combined with a high willingness of Spaniards to be vaccinated. This is often attributed to a folk memory of how bad things were under Franco, when there was little vaccination for the diseases that were being vaccinated against elsewhere.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AmigoCirculo said:

I suspect we may well be, Ian. Both you and I have experienced recently how seriously the Spanish still take social distancing, mask wearing and sanitizing hands in public places. I'm a linguist, not a virologist, but I'm sure all those precautions must have a positive effect when combined with a high willingness of Spaniards to be vaccinated. This is often attributed to a folk memory of how bad things were under Franco, when there was little vaccination for the diseases that were being vaccinated against elsewhere.

Still not convinced we are 8 times worse. I admit we probably are worse the population density in the UK will not help. 

In Spain there is probably an agenda to keep the numbers low as such a large part of the economy is dependant on tourism. We are still reporting deaths as within 28 days of a positive test as a Covid death. A member of my family caught Covid in Hospital and died of a heart attack but is part of the Covid statistics He was also 85

Anyway I am so far off Brittany Ferries that I should call it a day on this topic. Sorry to all concerned for my strong opinions on this subject.

Ian

Several reports today suggest that the UK is substantially worse than most European countries in levels of Covid infections, hospitalisations and deaths above and beyond variations in reporting mechanisms, and the situation is not improving. UK vaccination rates appear to have stalled and we are well behind in vaccinating young people.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that our European neighbours are more serious about maintaining precautions and I am rather inclined to agree with that from personal observation and from relatives recently returned from Spain.

Not a good look going into Christmas.

On the plus side there were two medium size frozen turkeys in our local Waitrose testerday, the larger of which is now in our freezer!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Several reports today suggest that the UK is substantially worse than most European countries in levels of Covid infections, hospitalisations and deaths above and beyond variations in reporting mechanisms, and the situation is not improving. UK vaccination rates appear to have stalled and we are well behind in vaccinating young people.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that our European neighbours are more serious about maintaining precautions and I am rather inclined to agree with that from personal observation and from relatives recently returned from Spain.

Not a good look going into Christmas.

On the plus side there were two medium size frozen turkeys in our local Waitrose testerday, the larger of which is now in our freezer!

The French are now worried in Paris and the Eastern region about a wave of bronchiolitis in toddlers. Paediatric intensive care units are already close to full. 

Is your turkey for eating or selling on when the price is right?

Ed

There was a male pheasant strutting round Bournemouth’s town centre Gardens a couple of weeks ago, had to look twice - flippin PHEASANT.  In Bournemouth centre!  Looked like an escapee from somewhere, was very tame.  Bit of a risk taker, that pheasant, seeing as there may be a turkey shortage - not seen him in a while, wonder if he’s plucked and in someone’s freezer..😄

Edited by Khaines

5 minutes ago, Khaines said:

There was a male pheasant strutting round Bournemouth’s town centre Gardens a couple of weeks ago, had to look twice - flippin PHEASANT.  In Bournemouth centre!  Looked like an escapee from somewhere, was very tame.  Bit of a risk taker, that pheasant, seeing as there may be a turkey shortage - not seen him in a while, wonder if he’s plucked and in someone’s freezer..😄

There's a pheasant plucker joke in there somewhere.

Ed

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The French are now worried in Paris and the Eastern region about a wave of bronchiolitis in toddlers. Paediatric intensive care units are already close to full. 

Is your turkey for eating or selling on when the price is right?

Ed

Local hospital here is very, very busy with only 8 empty beds - 15 Covid, the latter being a broad cross section of already unwell elderly care, those in their 30's/40's 2x vaxxed but in general lifestyle induced poor health and young unvaxxed.

A fair bit Norovirus which closes wards compounding the problem and an upscale of severe none Covid respiratory infections.

H went to work at 8 am came home around 1900 and was back in at 2100, rang at around 2230 to say she's staying there for a bit yet.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BigDW1946 said:

We're catering for eight at Christmas dinner and herself undecided what to order (goose, turkey, two ducks, etc.). I suggested a quail each so no arguments about who gets breast and who gets a leg.

That way you can also decide how pink you each like your meat. 

Ed

14 hours ago, cvabishop said:

We know who to blame  when the turkey panic buying starts , is it too early to start thinking about the Easter leg of lamb I wonder .

2 hours ago, Chef said:

We know who to blame  when the turkey panic buying starts , is it too early to start thinking about the Easter leg of lamb I wonder .

As you are not part of the UK, or even the British Isles, presumably you are allowed to capture, kill and eat swans. You don't need turkeys. 🤣

Ed

15 hours ago, Khaines said:

We have hen pheasant who comes every day to graze on the seeds that fall  from our bird feeeders, we call her Mrs P. she is now almost tame. We live on Bodmin Moor so I guess she finds our garden a safe haven. However at Christmas we will stil be feeding her NOT vice versa

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

We have hen pheasant who comes every day to graze on the seeds that fall  from our bird feeeders, we call her Mrs P. she is now almost tame. We live on Bodmin Moor so I guess she finds our garden a safe haven. However at Christmas we will stil be feeding her NOT vice versa

You big softie 😀

You can have mine, I hate turkey. Rather lick the underside of a maggoty bin lid. 

What are the options? Well, there'll be 10 of us this year, 8 in the house and 2 in the motorhome.

Salmon mouse to start.

Probably a nice topside this year, two of them as I like mine cooked, not raw. Use the juices in the dish for the gravy with cornflour and few splashes of Sarsons browning.

Now... the sprouts, I like to give 'em a quick whizz in the blender then shallow fry in butter with a handful of chopped onion & smoked lardons. Couple of caulies quartered and something else green... maybe a savoy cabbage oh and roasted parsnips, just shave the carrots, chop their heads and feet off and throw them in a big pan. Par boil the 5kg of spuds give them a shake then bung them in both bigger ovens with a jar of goose fat... lovely.

Christmas pud hidden under extra thick cream.

Then I'll sit in the corner with my quality street and fizzy water and go to sleep.

Pork on Boxing Day with an apple jelly glaze (not too early as it can caramelise). My big sis makes the best apple jelly... served with mash, the rest of the lardons fried with chopped up black pudding, boiled whole carrots with coriander and probably the last of the 'snips, roasted with the spuds and a bit of honey and sesame seeds.

We've got great farm shops up here, orders are in already.

Missus puts her feet up and I get on with it but hopefully I'll have a bit of help this year.

Howzat for off topic! it's like a sunny Sunday afternoon stroll into another dimension. Frightening isn't it?