I read the posts and I come to a understanding that none of us know what is going to happen in the coming weeks apart from hoping that there will be a green light in the not to distant future on holidays and short visits to Europe and vice verse.stay safe

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends how you look at it. If you don't have the infection the LFT test is 99.68% accurate. If you do and you have a high viral load the LFT test is 95% accurate. There's no such thing as PCR te

Not true! At least half of them are on strike. Ed

Of course, there are some members who still flirt with the need for post approval even when they get to 7263 posts! 😁😉

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, nodwad said:

hoping that there will be a green light

I am fine for an amber when coming home from France if the tests are not too much hassle / expense.

Those who are retired or working from home will manage quarantine ok !

• Like 1

Those who are retired or working from home will manage quarantine ok !

I can't really agree with that. I'm not so desperate  to travel abroad that I'm willing to put up with UK travel restrictions on my return. Being able to travel freely within the UK is more important to me. I've had enough of local lockdown!

France has always been an attractive destination and will, I hope, be again in the future. But the UK has its share of world class visitor destinations and if you can travel to them with no hassle compared with departing from these shores then it is a no brainer for me. You don't have to get on a ferry to find somewhere interesting to visit as sometimes seems to be the assumption.

In time, travel to the Continent will return to normal but we may be some months away from that at the moment.  I'm prepared to wait for that so that when we do eventually travel, things will be pretty much back to nornal without having to stress about tests to leave, arrive and depart and the need to wear masks everywhere. That will happen but perhaps not until late this year.

I appreciate that some people have imperative reasons to travel if they have property abroad which needs to be checked on but as far as normal tourism is concerned I think is is best to be patient for a while longer.

Holiday travel is all about lack of hassle, otherwise it ceases to be relaxing which rather defeats the objective.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to the announcement on Friday (7th) about which countries will be in which 'colour'. At present it looks like France won't be green, and could even be red! Unless the UK change the criteria, there is no chance of France reaching the '40% must have had at least one jab' rule by May 17th.

They're currently just over 16 million, and vaccinating at a rate of just over 250,000 a day. They need to be at 26 million to fulfill the 40% rule, but will only be at about 19 million by then. 

We're still going to wait until Friday before we change our booking (just in case), but sadly, it looks like we're not going to be doing our last 2 weeks of June trip. Particularly upsetting as we didn't get away last year either. 

I agree with @cvabishop about it all being about lack of hassle, and relaxing. France is likely to be amber or red, covid tests will need to be done and/or the TousAntiCovid cert., the NHS app covid passport, none of which show any sign at present of having any actual system in place. And that's before you add on what seems to be an increasingly slow check in and security process, especially in and out of the UK.

Like many here, we're now of an age where every day counts, and wonder if we've already had our last ferry trip and visit to France and Spain. 😧

Still, mustn't grumble, eh?

• Like 2

Colours will change over time, France seems to be improving now (https://covidtracker.fr/)

We have a 3 week trip (on 2 flexi tickets) starting on the 30 June to Spain and returning on the 21 July from France. We will make the final decision on whether to go a couple of days before the holiday. I have also booked the same trip next year to give us total flexibility of options. I note that the UK will review the system on the 28 June which hopefully should lead to a simplification of the rules.

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1

You've touched on another unanswered question there; obviously the colours will change 'over time', but how often will they be reviewed, and at what notice could they change? We're not going to France if it's amber, because I'm concerned that whilst there we might be given 24 hrs notice that it's gone red.

It doesn't matter if 'France is improving now', as the existing criteria dictate the 40% rule, which at current rates will not be reached for at least 37 days.

I hope your trip will go ahead, keep us posted about that, and I'm also interested in hearing about your check in/out experiences, and also what it's like in service areas, supermarkets, bars etc., both in Spain & as you drive up through France. 

We have another trip planned, to the French alps, at the beginning of September, and would be interested in hearing peoples experiences of the ports, onboard the ferry, and 'being there' !

Meanwhile, the BF CEO 'update' is now 4 weeks old, and I imagine that the whole travel industry, in addition to we customers, is straining at the leash to get some clarity and be able to make plans. 

Still, mustn't grumble, eh?

It can be hard to get things into perspective in many respects and understandably so. At the moment most people are focussed on the 17th May and 21st June Roadmap milestones and to what extent the easing of restrictions will enable us to get back to what we remember as ‘normal’ and there is nothing wrong with that as the country needs to be got up and running again.

Zoom out a bit and reflect on what has happened since early 2020 and it brings home just what a catastrophe this has been for everyone both in terms of the country as a whole and, for many of us, the loss and suffering of loved ones and serious personal and family consequences such as delayed or cancelled health treatment. It is actually quite difficult to take it all in and our minds tend to shy away from what has happened in favour of looking hopefully to the future. This is only natural as we have to move on.

Zoom out a bit more and the worldwide situation is really quite difficult to fully comprehend and take in with the awful scenes from India and Brazil which probably only touch on the reality. Again, it is very difficult to personally relate to it all and we might feel a bit guilty about that just as we do when looking at the TV pictures from Delhi whilst juggling with forward ferry bookings!

At some point in the future the crisis will come to an end as most crises do but it will leave a lot of people mentally confused at the very least and others with long standing PTSD. We will all be scarred mentally for years by all this and struggle to come to terms with it all and our personal place in it.

• Like 4

Any trip to any foreign country will carry a risk of the rules changing at next to no notice for an indefinite time yet.  The world does not have this virus under control, and as such the situation in any given country can change unpredictably and very quickly.  Changes to the rules will happen as and when the situation in the country changes - there will be no defined period for frequency of review.  Changes will be in response to circumstances.  Anyone taking a trip abroad must do so, for the time being, in full acceptance of this risk.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Anyone taking a trip abroad must do so, for the time being, in full acceptance of this risk.

It is also worth looking at the recommendations on the FCO site as they focus on safety within a  Country and ability to return from said Country - they are also used within the Insurance rules. 

17 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The Daily Mail is reporting that up to 8,000 UK football supporters will be traveling to watch the final in Istanbul in 29 May. I assume there is no exemption for such an event and that the trip won't be allowed under the current rules.

Ed

It would be far more sensible to play the final at Wembley. Bonkers to keep it in Istanbul. As you say, not allowed under current rules but by May 29 the rules will be completely different.

Edited by muppetdodger
addition
23 hours ago, cvabishop said:

It can be hard to get things into perspective in many respects and understandably so. At the moment most people are focussed on the 17th May and 21st June Roadmap milestones and to what extent the easing of restrictions will enable us to get back to what we remember as ‘normal’ and there is nothing wrong with that as the country needs to be got up and running again.

Zoom out a bit and reflect on what has happened since early 2020 and it brings home just what a catastrophe this has been for everyone both in terms of the country as a whole and, for many of us, the loss and suffering of loved ones and serious personal and family consequences such as delayed or cancelled health treatment. It is actually quite difficult to take it all in and our minds tend to shy away from what has happened in favour of looking hopefully to the future. This is only natural as we have to move on.

Zoom out a bit more and the worldwide situation is really quite difficult to fully comprehend and take in with the awful scenes from India and Brazil which probably only touch on the reality. Again, it is very difficult to personally relate to it all and we might feel a bit guilty about that just as we do when looking at the TV pictures from Delhi whilst juggling with forward ferry bookings!

At some point in the future the crisis will come to an end as most crises do but it will leave a lot of people mentally confused at the very least and others with long standing PTSD. We will all be scarred mentally for years by all this and struggle to come to terms with it all and our personal place in it.

I find it amazing that people take such extreme views as 'we will never ferry again'. People need to be patient and as you say look at the wider picture. That said can't see france or spain being red countries. Amber at worst but by mid june probably green. Patience is so important, especially with companies like BF being so flexible and accommodating.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The English Health Dept have said that vaccination status will be available from May 17 via the NHS App or on paper by ringing 119

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/demonstrating-your-covid-19-vaccination-status-when-travelling-abroad

I will be on the phone on the 17th !

NHS app has the vaccination info now. Of course how do you prove it’s your phone.

Just now, nick hall said:

NHS app has the vaccination info now. Of course how do you prove it’s your phone.

I believe that there will be a separate section and not just be part of the inoculation record..

The Patient Access app has also got a separate 'report' showing Name, Date Of Birth and date and type of Covid Jabs. I imagine that the official app will have a similar report, however I prefer the idea of a paper copy on an NHS letterhead

Hi, first post. It's all a bit up in the air at the moment! We are booked to Santander on 24th June so hoping green by then. Was going to book PCR test for entry, but if proof of vaccine is going to be acceptable (as was touted by some countries) then I'll hold off on this. Still a bit vague too on return. We have Lat flow tests (free from NHS) to take with us, again this may change for return. Hope we all get going again shortly - I feel for those affected once furlough ends!

29 minutes ago, Orkney Road trippers said:

We have Lat flow tests (free from NHS) to take with us, again this may change for return.

That won’t be enough, it needs to be supervised in some way and a ‘certificate’ produced, there are some video call providers - TUI will be using one, however that is not open to non TUI at present.

On 06/05/2021 at 11:44, muppetdodger said:

I find it amazing that people take such extreme views as 'we will never ferry again'. People need to be patient and as you say look at the wider picture. That said can't see france or spain being red countries. Amber at worst but by mid june probably green. Patience is so important, especially with companies like BF being so flexible and accommodating.

Spain have already said no until June at the earliest and then we're possibly only going to see the Balearics green listed.

The French mortality rate peaked at the beginning of February, around 2.9% and their infection rate peaked in the middle of April with a total of about 1,089,000 active cases. At the moment the mortality rate has plateaued and the active case rate isn't dropping quick enough, it's roughly 825,000, and by far the worst is Europe plus they're still seeing an average of 21,000 active cases a day.

We'll also have to wait and see the fallout of the Ascension Day celebrations due to the removed restrictions, the results of that will be towards the end of May.

There will be no magic bullet.

For the time being France will be on the red list, their numbers are no better than Turkey who are red listed and in turn have better figures than Germany, a country with a very similar population.

To be honest, I think that it is too early to speculate. Europe has already started relaxing the recommended rules for some third Countries. All of Europe is getting better, at some point they will reach the 'Green criteria'. At some point England will relax the rules for Green Countries.

At this stage who knows when that will be, however on current trends it will be at some point this Summer.

Edited by David Williams
1 hour ago, jonno said:

For the time being France will be on the red list, their numbers are no better than Turkey who are red listed and in turn have better figures than Germany, a country with a very similar population.

France is on the 'amber' list from May 17th. 

3 hours ago, nick hall said:

Of course how do you prove it’s your phone.

A photo of an intimate part of your anatomy on the home screen should suffice. You can then reveal it's you if required without needing to remove your mask. This works fine (I'm led to believe) unless you have sent the same photo to others of course.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
35 minutes ago, David Williams said:

To be honest, I think that it is too early to speculate. Europe has already started relaxing the recommended rules for some third Countries. All of Europe is getting better, at some point they will reach the 'Green criteria'. At some point England will relax the rules for Green Countries.

At this stage who knows when that will be, however on current trends it will be at some point this Summer.

The current 'traffic light'  system will apply from May 17th, and be reviewed every 3 weeks thereafter. France and Spain will be amber until at least June 7th. The UK roadmap plans to have all restrictions lifted by June 21st (stage 4) at the earliest, subject to certain criteria.