What are the Options?

The French health minister is due to speak tomorrow lunchtime to set out his plans to tackle the current surge in Covid cases.

Among the suggestions are:

- 3rd doses for all after 5 months (not 6)

- masks in all indoor settings

- masks in crowded outdoor settings

- increased application of the health pass 

- PCR tests to be valid for 24 hours only (instead of 72) meaning those relying on them for work, sport or entertainment will be up 'la calanque de la merde' 

Some clinicians are calling for a lockdown or curfew to be brought back. This was rejected earlier in the month by politicians and with Christmas markets opening at the weekend and people making plans on the promise of vaccine-freedom this would be unpopular to say the least.

Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

The French health minister is due to speak tomorrow lunchtime to set out his plans to tackle the current surge in Covid cases.....

And just as BF has advertised a 24hr off to Caen or St Malo to visit the Christmas Markets in Brittany & Normandy.

Edited by Abbotsman

1 hour ago, colin said:

Friends have already discovered that they can book 3rd doses well in advance of the 6 month recommendation, so looks like the system has quietly been opened up to accelerate vaccination. (France)

Is it just the reservations which are open or can you actually get the jab earlier? 

I'm now hearing that it might even be a 4-month gap. All will become clear tomorrow.

Ed

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Is it just the reservations which are open or can you actually get the jab earlier? 

I'm now hearing that it might even be a 4-month gap. All will become clear tomorrow.

Ed

One friend age 63 with 6 months up on 12th December, and one age 47 with 22nd December, managed to book slots at the vaccination centre in St Malo for Monday. Will they be refused when they turn up? I suspect not.

4 minutes ago, colin said:

One friend age 63 with 6 months up on 12th December, and one age 47 with 22nd December, managed to book slots at the vaccination centre in St Malo for Monday. Will they be refused when they turn up? I suspect not.

Probably not but Doctorlib did seem to calculate the interval between doses one and two to ensure people followed the guidelines. Maybe it's more relaxed for dose three as there are so many people eligible with different reasons. 

Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colin said:

Friends have already discovered that they can book 3rd doses well in advance of the 6 month recommendation, so looks like the system has quietly been opened up to accelerate vaccination. (France)

A friend of mine is part of the Scottish government vaccine team. Eldest offspring was emailed an appointment for last week for a vaccine (we think it is for flu due to asthma) and had posted on Facebook a screenshot with an "I don't think this is happening" due to currently being in Aveyron. My friend picked up on it and posted that if it was 22 weeks from the second vaccine, the Scottish NHS would administer a booster.

8 hours ago, elaine80 said:

A friend of mine is part of the Scottish government vaccine team. Eldest offspring was emailed an appointment for last week for a vaccine (we think it is for flu due to asthma) and had posted on Facebook a screenshot with an "I don't think this is happening" due to currently being in Aveyron. My friend picked up on it and posted that if it was 22 weeks from the second vaccine, the Scottish NHS would administer a booster.

How's he doing down in the south of France? Having a good time I assume?

If he needs a booster or a flu jab he can probably have them done over here. Does he have a temporary Carte Vitale or some other medical insurance? You can get the flu jab as a walk-in patient at a number of pharmacies.

Ed

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

How's he doing down in the south of France? Having a good time I assume?

If he needs a booster or a flu jab he can probably have them done over here. Does he have a temporary Carte Vitale or some other medical insurance? You can get the flu jab as a walk-in patient at a number of pharmacies.

Ed

The appointment has been rescheduled for Christmas time.

I watched Out of Africa on TV on Monday evening. Now the BBC seems to be suggesting that something even more terrifying than Meryl Streep's accent exists on the continent.

I give it about 3 hours before the WHO comes out with another sanctimonious whinge blaming western countries for not giving enough of their vaccines to poorer nations. 

Ed

• Like 2

On 24/11/2021 at 18:05, Cabin-boy said:

The French health minister is due to speak tomorrow lunchtime to set out his plans to tackle the current surge in Covid cases.

Among the suggestions are:

- 3rd doses for all after 5 months (not 6)

- masks in all indoor settings

- masks in crowded outdoor settings

- increased application of the health pass 

- PCR tests to be valid for 24 hours only (instead of 72) meaning those relying on them for work, sport or entertainment will be up 'la calanque de la merde' 

Some clinicians are calling for a lockdown or curfew to be brought back. This was rejected earlier in the month by politicians and with Christmas markets opening at the weekend and people making plans on the promise of vaccine-freedom this would be unpopular to say the least.

Ed. 

All the above leaked changes did come in after Thursday's press conference.

I believe the 24-hour test validity only applies to non-vaccinated people but I'm having trouble confirming that. Hopefully those vaccinated and needing one for travel will still have 72 hours leeway. 

Doctorlib was very busy on Thursday evening with people booking 3rd doses. I persevered for over an hour and I got a slot on December 10. Availability should increase in the coming days as they reopen a lot of previously-closed vaccine centres. 

One additional change is that primary schools will no longer close classes after just one case. All the children will be tested and allowed back if negative. 

You may have heard of serious rioting in Martinique and Guadeloupe due to resistance to the vaccination and health pass. It primarily concerns the obligation for medical staff to be vaccinated, in line with national rules. The islanders are deeply suspicious of such campaigns due to historic events and take-up is less than half that in the rest of France. It's Voodoo not vaccination for them! The government can't exonerate them as that would cause outrage on the mainland. They have therefore extended the deadline to 31 December. After that date, who knows what will happen.

Ed

Just an update on the above.

The government have suggested opening negotiations on how Guadaloupe could gain more autonomy from France. Presumably this is not an offer of independence but an attempt to pacify them. I fail to see how that would actually work as they'd probably still claim the same level of subsidies from Paris but potentially return less in tax. 

You'd almost think that an election was looming!

Ed

5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Doctorlib was very busy on Thursday evening with people booking 3rd doses. I persevered for over an hour and I got a slot on December 10.

If it’s any help to the French residents on here, I too tried to book a slot - using my PC, got a message saying it was very busy and I was in a thirty minute queue. Tried the Docorlib App on my iPad and got an rdv straight away.

Bob.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobtheBunker said:

If it’s any help to the French residents on here, I too tried to book a slot - using my PC, got a message saying it was very busy and I was in a thirty minute queue. Tried the Docorlib App on my iPad and got an rdv straight away.

Bob.

Good news! I had it going on my pc and smartphone app too but made the mistake of logging in on both which I think synchronised them. Both therefore got me in simultaneously. My previous two doses were Moderna but I've gone for Pfizer this time around due to the timing and stock available.

Ed

The WHO has skipped two letters of the alphabet. The first 'Nu' was apparently avoided as it's too easily confused with 'new' (seems ok to me) and the next Xi to avoid annoying the Chinese. The only problem now is 'Omicron' sounds like something you might hear Brigitte screaming at the Elysée late at night. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/27/world/africa/omicron-covid-greek-alphabet.amp.html&ved=2ahUKEwjO-9bIlLn0AhVFVhoKHY3vBacQFnoECG8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0iWmC2PpdlCFfqTsF8Sw97&ampcf=1

Ed

• Haha 1

It does seem very messy. You have  two jabs and a booster and still have to take a PCR and isolate. Did anyone else think there was a lot of mixed messaging. The vaccine is brilliant but it we are not sure it will work seemed to be the message. Get a booster was repeated constantly. A number will be asking why bother. I get mine on Tuesday 

• Like 1

I think the logic is clear. The current vaccinations may (or may not) prove less effective against the new variant but the more vaccinated you are then the chances that you will suffer are less if you catch it.

The new variant seems perfectly placed to sabotage Christmas again.

This makes rather depressing reading. How come so many infectious people managed to board the flights?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59442149

I am just about in tears at the latest announcement (although as eldest said earlier, it doesn't currently apply in Scotland - Nicola will currently be trying to work out what tweek to make on Boris's rules). Eldest is due back from France via a very convoluted route (bus to Albi, train to Toulouse, overnight at Toulouse airport, flight to Orly, flight to Edinburgh) on December 18th to be home on my birthday. 

The last week has been grim in the student flat due to a flatmate's mental health forcing eldest and the third flatmate out (fortunately the teachers in the school rallied round, offering accomodation, food and moral support, and the troubled flatmate has been moved elsewhere) so having the eldest home from Christmas matters to us. Our plan (unless rules change for entering France) is to book a PCR test at Edinburgh airport for after arrival and I do the pick-up in my 7 seater. using the back row of seats and eldest being masked.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

I think the logic is clear. The current vaccinations may (or may not) prove less effective against the new variant but the more vaccinated you are then the chances that you will suffer are less if you catch it.

The new variant seems perfectly placed to sabotage Christmas again.

This makes rather depressing reading. How come so many infectious people managed to board the flights?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59442149

Very high scare level in the announcement. Probably the only way to persuade some to go back to mask wearing. Because it has to be persuasion. Leicester Asda could fill all the prison cells in the country on it's own so it will be very difficult to enforce. Anybody know if David is back yet. (His Randox shares will be worth a fortune😊)