What are the Options?

Yes. I quite agree that people like yourself are not mainstream market' and maybe  'play the system' was the wrong phrase. 'Negotiating potential pitfalls' perhaps?

But in that sense you are a long way from the  mass market of those looking to achieve the conventional two weeks on the beach in Spain which is where the major current action is and not everyone uses the major tour companies. In recent years, our visits to Greece have been booked independently with flights, accommodation and car hire. I would be hesitant about doing that now given the present rules affecting Greece and the Islands.

But hopefully things will have settled down by late summer/early autumn.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

In recent years, our visits to Greece have been booked independently with flights, accommodation and car hire

Yes, it is interesting the balance of risks one takes & it is something that is worth considering when booking holidays. I have had a few long haul customised package holidays where the tour operator has had to sort out problems and rearrange flights.

5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

There French government is reportedly planning to make PCR tests available free of charge to tourists coming to the country this summer. 

https://www.bfmtv.com/tech/les-tests-pcr-seront-gratuits-pour-les-touristes-qui-viendront-en-france-cet-ete_AN-202105160155.html

Ed

This would be a game changer. The thing which I believe is a big barrier, certainly in our case, putting us off from a visit to our "maison breton", is not the risk of covid, both of us having been double jabbed, but it  is the price of tests which can be twice the cost of the BF crossing.

Thanks for all the comments on this thread.I am now convinced that travel to/from France this year will be too much hassle.Just cancelled 5 hotel reservations in Normandy/Brittany for September without penalty.Start planning for 2022 and hope things will be better.

• Like 1

Even if the test were free for tourists arriving in France, there could still be the one before boarding the ferry and two or three back in the UK.

6 hours ago, Khaines said:

My main worry would not being allowed back into the UK, once I have had a trip.  Not being able to come home after a long day or whatever.

13 hours ago, colinschandler said:

This would be a game changer. The thing which I believe is a big barrier, certainly in our case, putting us off from a visit to our "maison breton", is not the risk of covid, both of us having been double jabbed, but it  is the price of tests which can be twice the cost of the BF crossing.

Cost of testing aside, there's also the (admittedly unlikely if you've been vaccinated) risk of actually testing positive and needing to remain abroad for the requisite isolation period. For most holidaymakers that means additional cost, re-arranging travel and not being able to go out to buy clean pants for the extended stay!

I think we'll see some travel, but until it moves to a model with minimum regulatory barriers (eg show us you've been vaccinated and off you go) it's going to put quite a few people off.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jim said:

not being able to go out to buy clean pants for the extended stay!

Said it before... Tena pants... t'is future, just rip'em down the seam and bin, ded comfy too in a squishy bubbly kinda way. Loved them in hospital, my Brother in law would use a red marker pen to add go faster stripes down the sides... very fetching.

I bet they do matching pool sliders too, when away just ask the attendant Fellipé Fellopé!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Khaines said:

My main worry would not being allowed back into the UK, once I have had a trip.  Not being able to come home after a long day or whatever.

My main worry would be being able to return to the UK. 😃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Said it before... Tena pants... t'is future, just rip'em down the seam and bin, ded comfy too in a squishy bubbly kinda way. Loved them in hospital, my Brother in law would use a red marker pen to add go faster stripes down the sides... very fetching.

I bet they do matching pool sliders too, when away just ask the attendant Fellipé Fellopé!

I`ll take your word for it Iain🤣

30 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Does anyone know of a website for travelers from Cornwall with PCR testing options. I've Googled but haven't found anything practical.

https://stmawespharmacy.co.uk     

Advertise them but they are greedy @ £149.  Boots are worth a phone call to see if your local branch has the facilities, They post them off to a central laboratory but our results came back overnight, they charge £99.

On 08/05/2021 at 15:28, nick hall said:

NHS app has the vaccination info now. Of course how do you prove it’s your phone.

Have you tried it yet? Mine has face recognition and fingerprint. it's quite handy really as now I can order repeat prescriptions from it as it's linked to my GP. Downloaded the app this morning with a passport image then it was checked, verified and ready for use within the hour. All very simple.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jonno said:

Have you tried it yet? Mine has face recognition and fingerprint. it's quite handy really as now I can order repeat prescriptions from it as it's linked to my GP. Downloaded the app this morning with a passport image then it was checked, verified and ready for use within the hour. All very simple.

Not used it yet, and hopefully won’t have to for a while but it looks useful. Has a list of prescribed medication, can order repeats, can book gp appointments.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nick hall said:

Not used it yet, and hopefully won’t have to for a while but it looks useful. Has a list of prescribed medication, can order repeats, can book gp appointments.

It's basically a mobile version of something that has been running web-based for some time. I've downloaded it and got it running. Oddly enough the web-based version on my computer shows my vaccine status but the mobile version doesn't. It may be confused because I had the AZ vaccine last summer (Aug / Sept) as part of the trials.

• Like 1

There are a handful of apps which are linked to the main Doctor's back office systems, they have been around for a few years and are really useful. Recently the NHS brought out their own app and made everyone link to it.

I get  more year's of blood test results and pretty graphs in the main app that my Doctor uses. 

It is good the way all of the NHS systems talk to each other, I recently had some blood tests in the morning and the results were in the apps later that day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BZH29 said:

Another obstacle for some ?     30€ Attestation required for family and friends to visit ?

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2191?fbclid=IwAR1Wiuiz-eg5xKs529urQkq8NiKZ-a3CykKUV3ASdj40Fu0I7dQZ7TdsfNo&lang=en

The link should show the translated version.   Anyone any experience of this new rule ?

I don't think it applies to Europeans (not being in the EU itself does not constitute an obstacle). I know that a South African coming to visit family (and staying with them rather than in a hotel) needs to be declared in such a way. 

Ed

33 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I don't think it applies to Europeans (not being in the EU itself does not constitute an obstacle). I know that a South African coming to visit family (and staying with them rather than in a hotel) needs to be declared in such a way. 

We should not have to do this, it is instead of being able to show the ability to support yourself during your visit.

In theory we need to do that now (as in loads of Countries), in practice we won't be asked.

But the UK is no longer included in Europe. I think an EU jobsworth could give aggro. But as they didn't check my papers  arriving at night in Ouistreham, who knows !

European.thumb.png.fa4e924dac1c9338229a138c2135968c.png