What are the Options?

6 minutes ago, BZH29 said:

But the UK is no longer included in Europe. I think an EU jobsworth could give aggro. But as they didn't check my papers  arriving at night in Ouistreham, who knows !

European.thumb.png.fa4e924dac1c9338229a138c2135968c.png

People from the CI or Man have never had to provide such documents as far as I'm aware so I guess the UK is exempt too. 

Ed

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

There are loads on the government list, a decent price one is:-

https://www.eurofins.co.uk/pcr-testing-kits/test-to-depart/

I’ve just bought the Day 2/8 package from them this morning, aiming to get back to U.K. a week tonight and paid £98.90 for the privilege. Which is not an inconsiderable sum of money but much better than the £210 hit I got last time. 

Chris

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I’ve just bought the Day 2/8 package from them this morning, aiming to get back to U.K. a week tonight and paid £98.90 for the privilege. Which is not an inconsiderable sum of money but much better than the £210 hit I got last time. 

Chris

Do tell us how reliable it is when you use them, it seems to be about the cheapest at present.

Eurofins  in Carhaix, Brittany did our Tests to Travel, the one required within 72 hours of boarding.

They took the swabs at lunchtime and the results were emailed, one later that evening the other before breakfast next day.

The website with passwords required to download the result was a bit difficult to navigate but the people involved were pleasant and efficient. We have used Eurofins twice and have no complaints. At the time we travelled they were not on the Gov UK list, but will probably use them on our next visit for the return tests too.

8 hours ago, David Williams said:

Do tell us how reliable it is when you use them, it seems to be about the cheapest at present.

How will he knows if it's reliable unless he buys three packs and does a 'best of three' trial? This will then cost him more than the original plan which rather defeats the objective.

Ed

Posted (edited)

It looks positive for Europe agreeing common entry requirements at a meeting tomorrow which will let us in with proof of vaccination or a negative test.

The NHS app has been updated and you can now get a paper certificate from that, however it is only  valid for about 5 weeks from issue. 

The certificate is not worded well, it says Date of Birth followed by ‘Expiration Date’

Edited by David Williams
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

How will he knows if it's reliable unless he buys three packs and does a 'best of three' trial? This will then cost him more than the original plan which rather defeats the objective

It is reliable if the tests get sent on time and the results come back within a couple of days of posting. The main purpose of booking the tests is the booking code, not the results !

8 minutes ago, David Williams said:

It is reliable if the tests get sent on time and the results come back within a couple of days of posting. The main purpose of booking the tests is the booking code, not the results !

Oh I see. You meant the reliability of the service not the actual testing process.

There was me thinking that the priority was identifying positive Covid cases when in fact it's just to tick a few boxes on a form allowing people to travel, testing companies to make a profit and the government to say 'We have done everything we can.' 😉

Ed 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Oh I see. You meant the reliability of the service not the actual testing process.

There was me thinking that the priority was identifying positive Covid cases when in fact it's just to tick a few boxes on a form allowing people to travel, testing companies to make a profit and the government to say 'We have done everything we can.' 😉

Ed 

Got it in one.

42 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Got my app all set up now with my vaccine status on it so am well chuffed.

Same here in France. 2nd doses done today and code scanned in to the Tous Anti Covid app where it is stored.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Spain will apparently be opening its borders to visitors from the UK as of next Monday.

Ed

Have France said anything yet ? - I am also interested in any changes  in the border from Spain to France.

I note from a tweet that BF were on Radio 4 this morning and said that the Portugal decision would be made over the weekend, I guess that if Spain open up they will not start Portugal as I would have thought that Spain will be Green in a few weeks.

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Have France said anything yet ? - I am also interested in any changes  in the border from Spain to France.

I note from a tweet that BF were on Radio 4 this morning and said that the Portugal decision would be made over the weekend, I guess that if Spain open up they will not start Portugal as I would have thought that Spain will be Green in a few weeks.

I think Spain and france will both be green soon, probably in a few weeks.

According the beebs - uk government are telling us not to travel to Spain, despite Spain allowing us.

Boris is playing a dangerous game putting one up against another.

might be worth investing in companies that produce inflatable boats if this carries on…

49 minutes ago, PGTV said:

According the beebs - uk government are telling us not to travel to Spain, despite Spain allowing us.

Boris is playing a dangerous game putting one up against another.

might be worth investing in companies that produce inflatable boats if this carries on…

Which way do we want it?  Boris is in trouble for letting people travel to India, when the Indians said they could now he's wrong to stop people travelling to Spain.  I know he's made mistakes but when he's in trouble for doing to little and for doing to much at the same time, what should he do?

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, PGTV said:

There is no contradiction. The Health Department are saying what the rules are if anyone lands in the UK having been in various Countries. The rule as to whether a Country will let you in is different.

As an example, an Australian resident coming to the UK is able to leave Australia and come to the UK, however on return they would have a lot of problems / costs in arranging a return flight +  Isolation etc.

The other issue is that the FCDO also produce recommendations which are used by package holiday companies and Insurance Companies which are more to do with how safe you will be in a Country and whether there would be difficulties in the transport home,, they do not take into account the risk a returning traveller poses (those are done by Health Dept traffic lights).

An example is Spain where the FCDO advice is "The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to Spain, including the Balearic Islands but excluding the Canary Islands, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. " Thus a package holiday to Tenerife is fine, however you will still be treated as Amber on the way back.

The other subtlety is that the FCDO is UK wide, however Health and traffic lights is devolved.

What it all means is if you want to go abroad don't trust the headlines and look carefully at the 3 sources (Health within your home Country, Country to be visited, FCDO) for the trip that is proposed. 

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 4