What are the Options?

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The Spanish rules from Monday are interesting (https://www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm)

Spain will require tests from those coming from France or Portugal but not those coming from the UK !

Just need the tests coming home, it is all a mess, they want as many visitors as they can get and lots want to go but it's weighing up the risk all round.

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

The Spanish rules from Monday are interesting https://www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/documentos/AnnexII_between_24052021-and-06062021-uk-japan.pdf

Spain will require tests from those coming from France or Portugal but not those coming from the UK !

Several reasons for this. One is to try and make Boris look daft after Brexit by trying to usurp his rules, one is that there are way fewer tourists from France and Portugal entering Spain so there's a commercial element and finally our vaccination rate is much higher than both. Bit of a no brainer for Spain really.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Solo said:

Just need the tests coming home, it is all a mess, they want as many visitors as they can get and lots want to go but it's weighing up the risk all round.

Why is it a mess? Spain want British people in as they see them as a safe bet with the UK's vaccination numbers so the let us in without a test. Britain wants to keep things tight so want returning tourists to test on arrival from a less 'safe' country. It's not really that complicated. When Spain France et al get the Vax percentage up the uk will start to drop needs for testing on return.

31 minutes ago, muppetdodger said:

When Spain France et al get the Vax percentage up the uk will start to drop needs for testing on return.

Not so sure, I can see it dropping the test to fly/sail, however I can still see a 2 day PCR test remaining - our scientists wish to understand what strains are being imported.

If France continues doing so well, it should be Green at next review time, now we just need France to relax the rules for us & European neighbours.

I note that the East of Paris has now gone from Black to Red which is good, it seemed to be getting worse.

How is the rising number of Indian variant cases in UK going to affect entry to Spain or other countries? Or are they so desperate for tourist squids that they will gamble?

16 minutes ago, colin said:

How is the rising number of Indian variant cases in UK going to affect entry to Spain or other countries? Or are they so desperate for tourist squids that they will gamble?

Cases are rising a little in a few small areas, and they are rising from a very low figure. Overall cases are still very low.

The problem is that people are looking for definitive immediate answers and there aren't any.

With a bit of patience things will become clearer and settle down before very long but so many people seem to be demanding immediate answers and becoming totally frustrated when they are not available.

Chill out and be patient and things will be resolved soon. For most people travelling abroad is not the existential imperative that too many people are placing upon it. It is just a first world problem and a consequential persepctive is needed.

If you live in one country then for the great majority of the population there is no pressing need to visit another, nice though that may be.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Here are the statistics for France. They jabbed almost half a million more people in the last 24 hours, including me, and the case numbers are falling relatively fast - certainly faster than they did in the Autumn.

https://covidtracker.fr/vaccintracker/

Ed

Thanks

i am in a difficult position. I have to get over as soon as possible to sort things out, but I haven’t had any jabs (I’m in my mid 30s). And the thought of those tests being rammed down my throat dreads me.

im weighing up the options of - the risk of me getting ill from covid is minor. The risk of getting ill from the jabs are higher. 

so you see why younger people are reluctant, but could be forced onto us.

I think that's optimistic, France is another month away from enough of the adult population to have had both doses, it's currently around 16% and Spain have only fully vaccinated around 16.5% of their adults too.

The U.K. has fully dosed around 45%.

Makes you wonder though as Portugal have only fully vaccinated around 15% but they've given a single dose to over 50% of their adult population.

3 minutes ago, PGTV said:

Thanks

i am in a difficult position. I have to get over as soon as possible to sort things out, but I haven’t had any jabs (I’m in my mid 30s). And the thought of those tests being rammed down my throat dreads me.

im weighing up the options of - the risk of me getting ill from covid is minor. The risk of getting ill from the jabs are higher. 

so you see why younger people are reluctant, but could be forced onto us.

You can book your 1st vaccine now if you go online.

m weighing up the options of - the risk of me getting ill from covid is minor. The risk of getting ill from the jabs are higher. 

You won't get ill from the jabs. My daughters are in your age group and both have had first jabs. One had some achey side effects for a day and a half (Astra Zeneca) the other had just a minor sore arm for a day (Pfizer).

If you catch the bug unvaccinated then the effects can be a hell of a lot worse as friends of mine have discovered.

It's a no brainer but your choice.

• Like 6

Regarding risks from the jabs, I am in my late 50s, and have had both jabs, I have underlying health conditions in which if I was to get the virus, cannot imagine the problems I would have.   I have spent most of my life with respiratory problems with a chronic cough (never smoked!). I spend a lot of time coughing, coughing so bad I sometimes retch.  Goodness knows what would happen if I got the virus!!  So the sensible thing to do was to have it.

Of course I was worried about any side effects, but I ploughed on and had them, suffering mild side effects like chills, headaches and a sore arm, but all that pales into insignificance if it means I can get back travelling sooner. 

• Like 5

Had Covid and felt like sh!t for 10 days, for two of those I was seriously concerned. Worse than pneumonia. I was 48 at the time.

Had the Oxford jab, felt like mild flu for 36 hours, still went to work though.

I would recommend anyone to have the vaccine.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, nick hall said:

Had Covid and felt like sh!t for 10 days, for two of those I was seriously concerned. Worse than pneumonia. I was 48 at the time.

I had the Oxford AZ too and went to bed 10 hours later feeling rubbish; I then slept 28 of the next 36 hours. Someone I went to school with (who is relatively fit and has no underlying health issues other than mild asthma) spent 156 days in hospital, 50+ in ICU in a coma so I regard my reaction to the vaccine as a price worth paying. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nick hall said:

I was opposite, with Covid I began to recover after 4 days, my first Pfizer had me feeling ill for around 10 days, didn't stop me in anyway shape or form from having my second dose.

Totally agree with both you Nick and @elaine80.  

• Like 2

Germany is now insisting that any visitors from the UK quarantine for 2 weeks (starting at midnight on Sunday) while Spain is fully lifting restrictions. It seems that each EU country is going to set their own rules. I suppose the one advantage of this is that if you are not intending to stay in the country in question you can simply transit to your final destination as the borders will at least be reopened. Therefore if you need to drive to Denmark you can still get there.

Ed

8 hours ago, elaine80 said:

I had the Oxford AZ too and went to bed 10 hours later feeling rubbish; I then slept 28 of the next 36 hours. Someone I went to school with (who is relatively fit and has no underlying health issues other than mild asthma) spent 156 days in hospital, 50+ in ICU in a coma so I regard my reaction to the vaccine as a price worth paying. 

My left upper arm is on fire following yesterday morning's Moderna jab. I don't recall ever having such an intense reaction to a vaccine before but I did have a Tetanus booster in the same place 3 weeks ago so it may just be an agravated effect. The last time either of my arms felt like that was when I was taken clay pigeon shooting on the Knoydart estate near Mallaig. Needless to say I didn't hit a single clay but the language was about as blue as my shoulder the next day. 

Ed

• Like 1