Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Happy Easter everyone!

It occurred to me this morning, as I pondered Armorique starting her revised roster tomorrow, is this possibly the best roster any BF ship has ever had when it comes to connecting the most beautiful ports in the BF repertoire?

I know there is considerable interest in sailing into and out of many other BF ports, such as Portsmouth, Plymouth, Caen - some of that interest man-made/historical.  But purely in terms of natural scenic beauty, is there a better quartet of BF ports than Poole, St Malo, Cork and Roscoff?  

The addition of Santander as well would really ice the cake, but clearly not possible in a week-long sailing schedule.  So, in the realms of actual schedules that BF ships have followed, is Armorique just about to take up the most beautiful one ever?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

True. I've not managed to visit Cork yet but the other three do have wonderful approaches. When BF and Condor were sharing one of the fast-cats I think you could add Weymouth and St Peter Port to that list. 

Happy Easter!

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

True. I've not managed to visit Cork

Well if it's of any help to you, Ships Monthly had  a interview with the Captain of Pont Aven several years ago for it's ' View From The Bridge ' He said that  Roscoff was his favourite Port because his home was there but that Cork was the most scenic and popular for him and passengers for the view especially when the ship sailed passed Cobh .

Edited by Chef
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Chef said:

Well if it's of any help to you, Ships Monthly had  a interview with the Captain of Pont Aven several years ago for it's ' View From The Bridge ' He said that  Roscoff was his favourite Port because his home was there but that Cork was the most scenic and popular for him and passengers for the view especially when the ship sailed passed Cobh .

Happy Easter everyone and I agree totally about Cork. Here are a few I took 4 years ago....

Chris

319F68A8-6416-437C-8328-815091A9454C.jpeg

E764E5E1-415E-402C-A6C4-F0DFB32E1C8B.jpeg

BBA67106-0763-4DE8-99CF-3466F62E93B8.jpeg

AA92FDB3-F8C6-4106-AB65-915AD24B5D3B.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Pont Aven's normal roster isn't bad Plymouth, Roscoff, Cork and Santander, plus St Malo in the Winter.  You could include Portsmouth if you're interested in the Navy.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Solo said:

I think Pont Aven's normal roster isn't bad Plymouth, Roscoff, Cork and Santander, plus St Malo in the Winter.  You could include Portsmouth if you're interested in the Navy.

Agreed, definitely the other one that gives Armorique’s new one a run for her money.  All depends how you weigh Plymouth and Santander against Poole and St Malo.  It’s close but the latter maybe edges it (?).

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Happy Easter everyone and I agree totally about Cork. Here are a few I took 4 years ago....

Chris

319F68A8-6416-437C-8328-815091A9454C.jpeg

E764E5E1-415E-402C-A6C4-F0DFB32E1C8B.jpeg

BBA67106-0763-4DE8-99CF-3466F62E93B8.jpeg

AA92FDB3-F8C6-4106-AB65-915AD24B5D3B.jpeg

You can see the English influence in the  architecture of Cobh from it's days as a garrison town and the Royal Navy depot and dockyard across the harbour at Haulbowline , in the first photo top right corner on the hill is what was the Admirals House with a clear view across the harbour to Haulbowline , it had a semaphore station to communicate with  Haulbowline and RN ships anchored in Cobh Roads .

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our regular route is Plymouth Roscoff. Both ports give wonderful views of the countries to come from a good way out. Seeing the Ile be Batz on the approach to Roscoff and passing Ever Given close to the breakwater on the approach to Plymouth especially on a high tide with the waves breaking over it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colinschandler said:

Our regular route is Plymouth Roscoff. Both ports give wonderful views of the countries to come from a good way out. Seeing the Ile be Batz on the approach to Roscoff and passing Ever Given close to the breakwater on the approach to Plymouth especially on a high tide with the waves breaking over it.

 

I know Plymouth has its faults - as does every city. But on a sunny blue sky day - you just cannot beat it. Sea views in one direction, or Dartmoor views in the opposite. 

The only let down is the road and rail situation is not good. Saying that thou, it’s better than roscoff. Did I read recently that they got rid of the railway line at roscoff?

as a foot passenger - it is not easy to get out of roscoff. 6am waiting for a bus, or paying for a taxi is not ideal. So based on this, being a foot passenger to Plymouth is so much better. Even plymouth city bus is actually very good.

thou saying this - once you arrive in roscoff (or Brittany in general) it feels a world away. 

I feel blessed (without realising it) that I have the best of both. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PGTV said:

 

I know Plymouth has its faults - as does every city. But on a sunny blue sky day - you just cannot beat it. Sea views in one direction, or Dartmoor views in the opposite. 

The only let down is the road and rail situation is not good. Saying that thou, it’s better than roscoff. Did I read recently that they got rid of the railway line at roscoff?

as a foot passenger - it is not easy to get out of roscoff. 6am waiting for a bus, or paying for a taxi is not ideal. So based on this, being a foot passenger to Plymouth is so much better. Even plymouth city bus is actually very good.

thou saying this - once you arrive in roscoff (or Brittany in general) it feels a world away. 

I feel blessed (without realising it) that I have the best of both. 

The problem is that there are very few cities which are attractive to drive into or out of, both in the UK and France. Apologies to Chris, but when leaving places like Cherbourg or St Malo along the main highway you are presented with a continuous strip of prefabricated warehouse-like structures selling everything from floor tiles to wedding dresses. Portsmouth is better than most with its almost-direct access to the bypass while Le Havre is at the other end of the spectrum. Therefore access from the sea is so much nicer, quieter and more enjoyable.

Ed 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I speak for all when I say the worse port is Dover.

1970s British architecture at its best. Clumsy road lay out, and the town centre is just grim. Nothing worse than saying “welcome to Britain” 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PGTV said:

I think I speak for all when I say the worse port is Dover.

1970s British architecture at its best. Clumsy road lay out, and the town centre is just grim. Nothing worse than saying “welcome to Britain” 

Agreed PGTV, and mirrored across the water in Calais, I mean for goodness sake how un-french is that countryside out of the port - surely all the inspiration Suzanne Collins needed to create District 12 in the Hunger Games...😩

And love it or hate it, another marmite moment, she’s not a singer as such but Jennifer Laurences voice is quite captivating...

Chris

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Whoops, I may just have gone off topic...😂

 

I was just about to mention that. 😃

You wouldn't catch me doing something like that. But, well played! You managed to distract the mods with a clip of an attractive lady.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PGTV said:

 

I know Plymouth has its faults - as does every city. But on a sunny blue sky day - you just cannot beat it. Sea views in one direction, or Dartmoor views in the opposite. 

The only let down is the road and rail situation is not good. Saying that thou, it’s better than roscoff. Did I read recently that they got rid of the railway line at roscoff?

as a foot passenger - it is not easy to get out of roscoff. 6am waiting for a bus, or paying for a taxi is not ideal. So based on this, being a foot passenger to Plymouth is so much better. Even plymouth city bus is actually very good.

thou saying this - once you arrive in roscoff (or Brittany in general) it feels a world away. 

I feel blessed (without realising it) that I have the best of both. 

It’s not too far to walk from Plymouth Ferryport and there are plenty of taxis. There is an almost hourly train service to London Paddington with a journey time of around 3 and a half to 4 hours.

 Since 2015 the Morlaix-Roscoff line had been under threat, local campaigners had been trying to save the line, working with various tiers of government to try and facilitate its renovation but with a projected price tag of 47 M euros their efforts were proving unsuccessful. However on 2nd June 2018, nature took a hand and the track embankment was washed away due to flood damage and is now closed indefinitely, although the track is still in place it is unlikely to ever reopen.

See attached picture from Ouest-France.

 Zut Alors! C’est en peu Dawlish, n’est pas?

image.png

Edited by colinschandler
Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't visited Cork, but the photos look good, and would agree with all the other comments about Armorique's current route.

Although at the opposite end of the scale for natural beauty, I've always found Europoort a spectacular place to arrive and depart, the sheer amount of stuff happening is remarkable.

Stranraer would have to be at the lowest end of the British port scale for me. Cairnryan improved things, and the cruise views into Belfast are also good. 

For me, the arrival and departure at St Malo are my favourite though, it takes time going past all the lighthouses, really worth spending time on deck. Looking forward to going back asap. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

It’s not too far to walk from Plymouth Ferryport and there are plenty of taxis. There is an almost hourly train service to London Paddington with a journey time of around 3 and a half to 4 hours.

 Since 2015 the Morlaix-Roscoff line had been under threat, local campaigners had been trying to save the line, working with various tiers of government to try and facilitate its renovation but with a projected price tag of 47 M euros their efforts were proving unsuccessful. However on 2nd June 2018, nature took a hand and the track embankment was washed away due to flood damage and is now closed indefinitely, although the track is still in place it is unlikely to ever reopen.

See attached picture from Ouest-France.

 Zut Alors! C’est en peu Dawlish, n’est pas?

image.png

Yes, that looks like a pretty terminal problem. I can't see that 47m€ will make sense to service communities with so few people. 

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gareth said:

The seaward approaches to Dover are very spectacular.  The real downers from seaward are the Belgian ports.

Rotterdam & Ijmuiden are very industrialised, plumes of smoke fill the skyline. Zierbena is also a bit naff too, at least when P&O used Santurtzi a quick walk over the footbridge and down the hill led you to a bit of a square with orange trees and easy train access. Cuxhaven and the Elbe estuary weren't too bad and you were out through the town fairly quickly but again the main drag was filled with industrial units.

I think most of the North Sea ports are drab. Quite like the Dieppe seafront and the direct drive to the port is better now since they built better roads.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed Jonno.  Of the North Sea ports, Vlissingen is relatively pretty, as is Harwich Haven (especially the trip up to Ipswich).  But the rest is pretty grim from a scenic point of view.  What makes the Belgian ports particularly so is the never-ending rows of concrete flats.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody has mentioned St Malo yet. Our first arrival, early on a sunny Summer morning with the rocks exposed was magic. What an introduction to France.

People in the UK keep talking about how much they want to visit Cornwall etc. etc. but the coastline west of St Malo is world class all the way to Le Val Andre and beyond.

That is Cap Frehel lighthouse in the distance.

 

St malo Feb 2014 (3).JPG

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Stranraer would have to be at the lowest end of the British port scale for me. Cairnryan improved things, and the cruise views into Belfast are also good. 

 

Stranraer is grim but at least it is in a town. We did the Cairnryan to Larne crossing last year (P&O gave a better deal on my Tesco Clubcard vouchers than Stena on Cairnryan to Belfast) and both Cairnryan terminals are in the middle of nowhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Nobody has mentioned St Malo yet.

 

St Malo was one of the four ports identified in the OP as featuring in Armorique’s new schedule. (Which was the original point of this thread).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...