Brittany and Normandy Highlights

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I kept my Jaguar 25 yacht in Chichester Marina for many years. Lots of great memories. Chichester was a great base for exploring the Solent plus further afield to Christchurch and Poole Harbour.

In an effort to encourage my rehabititation and provide an opportunity to share the places we all love in Brittany and Normandy with some inspiring images I thought it might be worthwhile to share the

A new place which looks well worth visiting is the British Normandy Memorial situated between Arromanches and  Courseulles-sur-Mer unveiled today. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57373932 When

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

It's on the Pointe du Conguel on the south western side of the Quiberon peninsular. 

Ed

I knew that the map was the Quiberon peninsula with Belle Ile etc. I just didn't know where it was situated.

38 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

I knew that the map was the Quiberon peninsula with Belle Ile etc. I just didn't know where it was situated.

There whole area is well worth a visit. My wife's aunt has a holiday home about 1km north of the map and we use it every couple of years.

Ed

It's on the Pointe du Conguel

Yes indeed. Quiberon is a great place to visit being stuck out into the Atlantic. A big contrast between the gentle bay side to the East and the Cote Sauvage to the west which takes the full force of the ocean, it is a spectacular coastal drive.

Best not to visit in high season though when the road up the spine of the peninsula becomes a solid traffic jam!

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

There whole area is well worth a visit. My wife's aunt has a holiday home about 1km north of the map and we use it every couple of years.

Ed

I've had 3 holidays in Carnac over the years.

W've had 3 holidays in Carnac over the years

We have had a number of Gite holidays in Carnac and the nearby area. The first ones before they fenced off the megaliths. It is an ideal destination using the overnight Portsmouth - St Malo route. Sometimes we would return from St Malo on teh morning crossing after an overnight stop to visit the Intra Muros but latterly we used to get the afternoon crossing from Caen which enabled us to get home to Surrey before 10pm the same day. Mixing and matching the two routes can be very useful sometimes.

A lot of UK catamaran and dinghy racers go to Carnac. Eurocat is a huge event and more recently UK dinghy classes have either individually, or a few together, organised events there. Great bit of sailing water. Great beach. Super club. Plenty of campsites and other accommodation close by. Sites with chalets even open early for big spring events.

Then, la Trinité, home of Spi Ouest France, usually a 4 day Easter keelboat regatta with up to 400 boats. Fantastic organisation. They take the on the water stuff so seriously that there is a meagre social side compared to events like Cowes Week. I have even sailed out to the start in the dark and come ashore in the dark!

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2021 at 07:00, Cabin-boy said:

I've been over to Chausey a couple of times. I walked around clockwise the first time. Then, adventurously, went anticlockwise the second time. I think I have now covered all the available options on land but next time will take the round-island wildlife cruise. As to the Minquiers, the company in Jersey is still holding my RIB ticket for me. However, Manche Iles Express haven't replied to my email for a refund yet as I can't be sure I'll be able to use it before the end of this year.

Ed

I've tried emailing Manche Iles Express and had no answer. I've therefore tried again. Their phone number is giving a message saying their call centre is manned on Wednesdays only from 10am to midday. I doubt anyone else on here has had any recent contact with them. Let me know if you have. They haven't operated a single crossing in over a year now so must be getting desperate for some clarity as to when they can start running again.

Ed

Presumably everything is still on hold during the latest lockdown. Infection numbers in France seem to be very high still.

Round here in SE UK infection levels are currently close to zero for which we are very grateful. I met up with a couple of friends today for a walk around Bosham Harbour near Chichester, a very picturesque location. Quite a bit of activity going on and boats being launched for the season but the many walkers round this lovely part of the world were exercising a reasonable degree of social distancing unlike the reported shopping scrums and pavement pub tables in London.

It remains to be seen what effect the easing of restrictions on 12th April has. Obviously it will have an impact on the greater proposed easing on 17th May. We live in hope!

(DTR)IMG_0145.JPG

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Presumably everything is still on hold during the latest lockdown. Infection numbers in France seem to be very high still.

Round here in SE UK infection levels are currently close to zero for which we are very grateful. I met up with a couple of friends today for a walk around Bosham Harbour near Chichester, a very picturesque location. Quite a bit of activity going on and boats being launched for the season but the many walkers round this lovely part of the world were exercising a reasonable degree of social distancing unlike the reported shopping scrums and pavement pub tables in London.

It remains to be seen what effect the easing of restrictions on 12th April has. Obviously it will have an impact on the greater proposed easing on 17th May. We live in hope!

(DTR)IMG_0145.JPG

Bosham is lovely. I did my powerboating course at Chichester marina and our man-overboard drills were conducted in the Bosham channel. 

Ed

Posted (edited)

I kept my Jaguar 25 yacht in Chichester Marina for many years. Lots of great memories.

Chichester was a great base for exploring the Solent plus further afield to Christchurch and Poole Harbour.

(DTR)DSCN0590.JPG

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 6

My latest email to Manche Iles Express again came back. 

This was the message I received: 

Maximum number of MX connection attempts exceeded

Does anyone know what that means?

I shall try calling them on Wednesday if I'm available at the time their hotline is open.

Ed

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

My latest email to Manche Iles Express again came back. 

This was the message I received: 

Maximum number of MX connection attempts exceeded

Does anyone know what that means?

I shall try calling them on Wednesday if I'm available at the time their hotline is open.

Ed

Best hope its not the Wednesday they have it staffed with someone who only speaks Mandarin😁

4 minutes ago, Paully said:

Best hope its not the Wednesday they have it staffed with someone who only speaks Mandarin😁

More likely to be Arabic or something similar from a north African call centre .... But, in reality the delocalisation that the UK has seen is much less prevalent here. Does not mean you can understand a word of what they are saying though ....

On 06/04/2021 at 06:51, Cabin-boy said:

It's on the Pointe du Conguel on the south western side of the Quiberon peninsular. 

Ed

Can you see that when leaving roscof travelling to Spain.?stay safe

I had an email answer from Manche Iles Express before trying to ring them.

The woman who sent me the original voucher number said there is 'very little chance that sailings will resume this summer'. 

She said that all vouchers were being extended until the 31 December 2021 no matter when they were originally due to expire.

Ed

• Like 2