2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Have you noticed that there is a small global crisis under way? 😁

Ed

Scarlton’s point, though, is well made, for those that can read between the lines.....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PGTV,  Solution is simple..wait till the other sailings to Roscoff are announced and take one of those. 

Normandie may well transfer to Le Havre in winter to be replaced by the Amorique, however I suspect it will sit in one of the many unused quays !

Salamanca 🤔

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

True. A 'last chance to see' situation.

Ed

For sale, one Superfast !

ps plus 1  Incat, just re certified and only 100 miles since previous service !

Edited by David Williams
18 minutes ago, David Williams said:

For sale, one Superfast !

ps plus 1  Incat, just re certified and only 100 miles since previous service !

We're selling family jewelry. It smells bad.

In the meantime DFDS is developing...

4 minutes ago, LHCity said:

We're selling family jewelry. It smells bad.

In the meantime DFDS is developing...

Could you add some suitably atmospheric music to that announcement? 😱

Ed

This is rather a digression from the thread (🤭), but....assuming BF does dispose of CF at the end of the year (which the timetables would appear to indicate and which, to be honest, does make sense with the new Flexers arriving)....BF seems to be working (intentionally or otherwise) towards a scenario when pretty much its entire fleet is purpose-built for BF.  Ok, there’s still Pelican and Connemara - so let’s consider just the UK passenger ferry fleet.  Looking like that will be exclusively purpose-built-for-BF by the end of the year....can anyone think of a single other time in the history of the company when pretty much the entire fleet was purpose-built?  I can’t.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Gareth said:

This is rather a digression from the thread (🤭), but....assuming BF does dispose of CF at the end of the year (which the timetables would appear to indicate and which, to be honest, does make sense with the new Flexers arriving)....BF seems to be working (intentionally or otherwise) towards a scenario when pretty much its entire fleet is purpose-built for BF.  Ok, there’s still Pelican and Connemara - so let’s consider just the UK passenger ferry fleet.  Looking like that will be exclusively purpose-built-for-BF by the end of the year....can anyone think of a single other time in the history of the company when pretty much the entire fleet was purpose-built?  I can’t.

Neither can I.

Thing is though, NEX and Cap' are the only two ships BAI own. I've never known a time when they've not owned any tonnage either. 

CF can run on diesel, slowing her down to 22 -24kts as a Connie replacement may not be beyond the realms of possibility. BAI will then have a ship they wholly own rather than pay the charter fees to Stena. This financial saving could well offset the extra fuel consumed?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, scarlton said:

I've said it before, but once more. If you haven't travelled on Cap Finistere and want to, do it this year!

Is that a guess or an assertion ?

10 hours ago, jonno said:

Santona will a be a Brittany controlled vessel when she arrives in 2023. My gut tells me she'll replace Pont Aven and still be able to offer 24hr crossings to Santander from Plymouth.

Santona (or any E-Flexer) apparently won't fit in Cork. 

I would be surprised to see Cap Finistère leaving the BF fleet and probably wouldn't read too much into the latest timetable release.

• Like 2

Sorry for veering further off topic.

What to do with a fully paid for, redundant Superfast.

Easy, fit cabins to the upper vehicle deck, deck 6 I think, and there’s your Bretagne replacement.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, nick hall said:

Sorry for veering further off topic.

What to do with a fully paid for, redundant Superfast.

Easy, fit cabins to the upper vehicle deck, deck 6 I think, and there’s your Bretagne replacement.

Always assuming she fits in St Malo. 🤔

Edited by nick hall
Spelling
2 hours ago, lg12 said:

Santona (or any E-Flexer) apparently won't fit in Cork. 

I would be surprised to see Cap Finistère leaving the BF fleet and probably wouldn't read too much into the latest timetable release.

No, but they fit Rosslare which is strategically more important. Armorique  can easily serve Cork.

Personally, I don't think CF is leaving the company either.

Isn’t her overnight capacity even smaller than Bretagne’s?  Difficult to know what the future holds for the St Malo route in the present circumstances, but back in normal times the issue pressing for a need to replace Bretagne was that her passenger capacity is not large enough for the overnight demand.  CF would be a step backwards for the route.

As far as CF is concerned, it is a fact that she does not feature in the BF schedules after October.  What that means is open to conjecture - it may just mean that she is off for her annual refit (and the timetables don’t go beyond its completion; Portsmouth-Bilbao was not one of the routes they’ve released past November 21).  However, I suspect BF is keeping its options open while they see how things pan out going forward.  Disposing of her is probably Plan A (not least because she is one of the most expensive members of the fleet to run - she is, for example, the only member of the fleet whose machinery requires an annual dry docking).  But plans could easily change in the current uncertainty, hence BF keeping its cards close to its chest.

• Like 1

In theory the Region are undertaking a lot of work on St Malo ferry terminal, infrastructure etc. Some dredging has been done and more is planned. Should mean longer vessels are OK, even if sticking out a bit beyond the last dolphin.

10 minutes ago, colin said:

In theory the Region are undertaking a lot of work on St Malo ferry terminal, infrastructure etc. Some dredging has been done and more is planned. Should mean longer vessels are OK, even if sticking out a bit beyond the last dolphin.

What about the building? Have they started work there yet?

Ed

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

Hasn't Baie de Seine already gone back to owners?

Yes, which highlights that BF are following their strategy with the 3 new ships replacing older ones.

The only problem was that the Honfleur was part of the strategy as well !

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

Hasn't Baie de Seine already gone back to owners?

Yes, because the new ship bought in to replace her arrived.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

What about the building? Have they started work there yet?

Ed

No, not yet. I believe they hope to have new terminal building for 2022 season.

Digressing briefly, Ryanair have said no more Stansted to Dinard/Pleurtuit flights, so no commercial flights left, and most staff being made redundant.

Re Plymouth to roscoff Friday day crossing (arr 19:45)

I did a google search this morning of all the supermaches between roscoff and morlaix.

all of them (Lidl, LeClerc, Giant, netto, Super-U) closes between 19:00 to 19:30.

the ferry arrives at 19:45, so once unloaded, go through passport etc, at best 20:30.

although I can have a meal on board, once I arrive at my destination- unpack, will be around midnight. Bound to want something to eat, plus wanting breakfast in the morning - so the question is what can I bring with me now we have brexit

no diary or meat? But what happens if I buy from Lidl uk German sausage and French cheese? Can that be taken as in theory it’s a EU product? What about French stick or pretzel? Technically both EU products but bought in the UK.

ceral and long life milk? Coffee even?

BF has to consider when moving times that arriving late in the evening, what are passengers suppose to do when everything is closed, but can’t take anything with you? What about passengers travelling through the night to mid or south France.

i saw plenty once we arrived mid afternoon stopping off at the supermarkets to get some supplies, but most including myself took a cool box with food to keep me going for a day or two (usually went to Carhaix on Saturday afternoon to buy supplies for the whole trip/stay)

i know it seems petty - but seriously a solution needs to be found...

• 4 weeks later...