Best side of Pont Aven to have a cabin on

9 minutes ago, nick hall said:

Top side will do me, don‚Äôt fancy the bottom. ūüėā

I was going to say it all depends whether you want to get a view of Brest or the Ile Longue military base but then thought better of it.

Ed

1 hour ago, spancophile said:

Marginally better views on departure.You won't get the sunset either way.On arrival it's irrelevant as you have to be out of your cabin 30 minutes before docking.

But you get the Sunrise Port side out bound and Starboard coming back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solo said:

Not that Posh it's a ferry.

Well yeah... and it's Pont Aven so I'd argue that she doesn't have best side anyway. Mind you Virgin's Scarlet Lady makes her look like a silk purse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, jamess said:

Looking at the timings on a Sunday out and Monday back, it will be dark as we pass through Ushant won't it?

Going out it will probably be dark by then, you'll be able to see the lighthouses all around.  Coming back it's mid morning I think, not looked at the exact timings.

We prefer starboard going out for the sunset and a better view of Santander on arrival. The port side is better in the mornings although the sun shining on the water can be a tad bright after a great evening in the Restaurant.

• 1 month later...

A good question, with quite a few good answers, if that makes sense. Outward, I agree with mjturner: starboard for the leisurely sail into Santander with the sun shining on the city. On the other hand, on the port side you're looking across the bay to the mountains and the south. Leaving Portsmouth, port side as well, as the Royal Navy is always interesting. As regards Ouessant (Ushant) either side, in my view, and preferably in the dark; the passage through is enlivened by myriad flashing lighthouse beams.

There is another important factor, however. The two best cabins are 8401 on the port side and 8410 on the starboard, both at the forward end of the commodore array: they have the biggest balconies, and the joy of being able to be seen by other commodore travellers (with smaller balconies) as we sit with our bottle of red, protected by the bulkhead behind …

On 14/04/2021 at 14:17, Solo said:

Not that Posh it's a ferry.

Nice ferry if you can afford and get a Balcony Cabin. Though it was a bit tatty last time we crossed on her. Shame they don't use her for the 2 night crossing. Would be much better value for money.

Over all, I prefer CF

Best side of Pont Aven -

Can't resist,sorry. 

The stern when its leaving Plymouth! It is too big for Plymouth. Takes ages to load and unload at tiny Plymouth.
I once asked a Pont staff member where cabin xxxx was to be told "Don't know that one, I'll ask another staff member". We love the little Armorique  and a Club cabin with a window . Bish Bosh Roscoff.

Sorry, on a high at the moment  as No2 Son, lovely wife and daughter due this week after not seeing them for 18 months.

Have a great day. SFD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wortley said:

Twelve trips on Pont Aven and I haven’t had a cabin with a window yet. 

I guess that's no bad thing if its a quick overnight. But I like to push the boat out now and then. Plus I can get fresh air without having to wear a mask.

2 hours ago, wortley said:

Twelve trips on Pont Aven and I haven’t had a cabin with a window yet. 

We normally have an outside cabin going to Spain, one trip we said "do we really need a window?" never again, the inside cabins are where they put the School groups, we had a group of noisy boys next to us, she who must be obeyed went to reception, the boys had a knock on the door from a 6'6" steward.

Which side?  Going out port side, starboard side coming back, get the Sun in the morning but best view of Santander is Starboard side, although we normally go on deck or the public areas when entering port.

18 minutes ago, Solo said:

We normally have an outside cabin going to Spain, one trip we said "do we really need a window?" never again, the inside cabins are where they put the School groups, we had a group of noisy boys next to us, she who must be obeyed went to reception, the boys had a knock on the door from a 6'6" steward.

Which side?  Going out port side, starboard side coming back, get the Sun in the morning but best view of Santander is Starboard side, although we normally go on deck or the public areas when entering port.

and that configuration can give nice views of French coastline on a clear day

1 hour ago, Manxscorpio said:

and that configuration can give nice views of French coastline on a clear day

The open top deck, if it's to bad to be up there you'll not see much from the cabin.  As you can see there are different thoughts on which side has the best views.

36 minutes ago, Solo said:

The open top deck, if it's to bad to be up there you'll not see much from the cabin.  As you can see there are different thoughts on which side has the best views.

Yep - done the Spain trip many many times since 2002 and it's just my opinion