Hi. I need to go to Spain to take possession of a new property I bought off plan 2.5 years ago(!). They have now finished it at last after long Covid related delays and they are now telling me to get there and sign the deeds pronto, which I have a legal obligation to do. I also need to take loads of stuff I have bought and get the place fitted out and ready for rental.

I know that I can leave the UK to go there because this is a qualifying activity, but what I do not know is if the Spanish authorities will let me in as they are only permitting 'essential' travel (whatever that means). Does anyone know what the likelihood is of me being let into Spain?

In reality, if I really had to I could probably get a solicitor to sign the deeds for me under a POA, but that does not help me as I really need to get the place up for rent asap.

On 14/04/2021 at 21:19, Gobuchul said:

Hi. I need to go to Spain to take possession of a new property I bought off plan 2.5 years ago(!). They have now finished it at last after long Covid related delays and they are now telling me to get there and sign the deeds pronto, which I have a legal obligation to do. I also need to take loads of stuff I have bought and get the place fitted out and ready for rental.

I know that I can leave the UK to go there because this is a qualifying activity, but what I do not know is if the Spanish authorities will let me in as they are only permitting 'essential' travel (whatever that means). Does anyone know what the likelihood is of me being let into Spain?

In reality, if I really had to I could probably get a solicitor to sign the deeds for me under a POA, but that does not help me as I really need to get the place up for rent asap.

It all depends on how long you are prepared to wait to get access yourself. Certainly a Spanish Advocate could complete the Escritura for you by Power of Attorney which should be specific in allowing them to act only for the purchase. A reputable Estate Agent could be appointed to act in the "rental" of the apartment provided it is furnished to a basic standard. This will allow some income to come your way in the meantime which may assist in covering Community Fees, water, electricity charges.

The alternative is to wait, which could be many months. Maybe there is an algorithym to help you decide (joke) ?

Good luck and hope all goes well