Jump to content

Getting Uk, foods in Normandie


Recommended Posts

  • Eddies changed the title to Getting Uk, foods in Normandie
30 minutes ago, Eddies said:

What English foods can we find in Normandie, and buy like "Self Raising Flour" or English cheese; ??

Most largeish supermarkets will stock such products, either cheddar in the fridges or non-perishable products like tea and biscuits in a dedicated area. I doubt you'll find self-raising flour as it's not really very popular over here. As a rule of thumb you can tip 4 or 5 sachets of baking soda into a kilo of plain flour and get the same effect.

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites

French flour can be confusing, but there's no need to search for self raising flour.

If you are into cake making, look for flour which is T55 or T65, plus levure chimique [aka baking powder] and bicarbonate de soude [no prizes for guessing]. Lots of online tips about how / how much to use – typically a couple of teaspoons in a cake mix. 

BTW if you want to make bread, you want levure boulanger [dried yeast].

For reference on flour types, here's our simple guide which we used when we first moved here. In simple terms, lower numbers are finer [although technically it's a bit more complicated than that!]

FRENCH FLOURS.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, colin said:

We use farine gâteau as one would use self raising flour.

Yes, I forgot about that. Thanks. 

I bought it once many years ago thinking I'd be clever, decanted it into the flour jar but omitted to tell my wife. She then had a waffle party with friends and made her usual mix and added baking powder to what she thought was plain flour. Let's just say that the result was that the waffle-maker ended up inside its own waffle rather than the other way around. I was told not to take the initiative ever again. 

Ed

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes, I forgot about that. Thanks. 

I bought it once many years ago thinking I'd be clever, decanted it into the flour jar but omitted to tell my wife. She then had a waffle party with friends and made her usual mix and added baking powder to what she thought was plain flour. Let's just say that the result was that the waffle-maker ended up inside its own waffle rather than the other way around. I was told not to take the initiative ever again. 

Ed

You're waffling on again .

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2021 at 12:48, kenw said:

French flour can be confusing, but there's no need to search for self raising flour.

If you are into cake making, look for flour which is T55 or T65, plus levure chimique [aka baking powder] and bicarbonate de soude [no prizes for guessing]. Lots of online tips about how / how much to use – typically a couple of teaspoons in a cake mix. 

BTW if you want to make bread, you want levure boulanger [dried yeast].

For reference on flour types, here's our simple guide which we used when we first moved here. In simple terms, lower numbers are finer [although technically it's a bit more complicated than that!]

FRENCH FLOURS.pdf 30.49 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks for posting this. My daughter is due to move to France in the autumn for an academic year and she is a keen cook so this will be very useful for her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

Thanks for posting this. My daughter is due to move to France in the autumn for an academic year and she is a keen cook so this will be very useful for her.

Is she going to be in a halls of residence or a private studio/flat? In the former the cooking options tend to be relatively limited.

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Is she going to be in a halls of residence or a private studio/flat? In the former the cooking options tend to be relatively limited.

Ed

She's studying French and is going out to work as an assistante so she will probably be in a private let.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

At a high school I assume in that case. Is that her 3rd year of 4 at uni (Erasmus year)? She should be well looked after in that case. Where in France are they sending her?

Ed

She has just submitted her final piece for her 3rd year tonight and will return to class in September 2022 for her final year having not had an in-person class since Feb 2020 because the lecturers were on strike just before the initial UK lockdown. The UK is now out of Erasmus :( and the replacement is the Turing Scheme; she's waiting to find out whether she will get funding or whether she will need to apply for a student loan via SAAS to see her through the year. 

She doesn't know where she is going but she wants to work with high school rather than primary school age children; her plan is to do a post-grad . She has hypermobility and suffers from a lot of joint pain so she is hoping to go south rather than north. Toulouse is her preferred location and hubby has a cousin there who reinforced that preference and gave her a lot of advice by phone. A lot of them apply for Caen because of the history and the (normal) easy possibilities of returning to the UK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, elaine80 said:

She has just submitted her final piece for her 3rd year tonight and will return to class in September 2022 for her final year having not had an in-person class since Feb 2020 because the lecturers were on strike just before the initial UK lockdown. The UK is now out of Erasmus :( and the replacement is the Turing Scheme; she's waiting to find out whether she will get funding or whether she will need to apply for a student loan via SAAS to see her through the year. 

She doesn't know where she is going but she wants to work with high school rather than primary school age children; her plan is to do a post-grad . She has hypermobility and suffers from a lot of joint pain so she is hoping to go south rather than north. Toulouse is her preferred location and hubby has a cousin there who reinforced that preference and gave her a lot of advice by phone. A lot of them apply for Caen because of the history and the (normal) easy possibilities of returning to the UK.

I'm pretty sure it will be high-school children she's put with. As to the choice of Toulouse, I'm sure she'll be fine there. It's a popular choice for many students and I've only heard positive feedback. Good luck to her for the year. Ed

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2021 at 13:05, Eddies said:

LHCity, Would that be the one at Coty's in the centre of Le Havre. ??

Yes, there is normally a Monoprix in all the major cities of France. The one in Le Havre (behind the DEPARTMENT store PRINTEMPS) is very large, and has a "British" department

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Out of interest what a the rules for bringing food BACK to the UK.  When I eventually do get to mooch round Carrefour are we subject to any restrictions different than before Brexit. 

It looks like we can bring most things back from France. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/personal-food-plant-and-animal-product-imports#what-you-can-bring-from-eu-countries.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...