Ferry options? Day or night? Thoughts and info, please

17 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Or how short? I once scraped on board as the ramp closed behind me. About 5 seconds.

Haha this reminds me of the time when I was with the Liverpool Archdiocese Pilgrimage to Lourdes, we were crossing from Dover West to Dunkerque on the Saint Eloi, there had been a rail strike and we coached it to dover that year. Our coach was late,  Archbishop Warlock stood on the middle of the gangplank to stop them raising it as we rushed to board. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My purchases will be in bottles and at least 40% ABV (ideally 50% )

Hi, First contribution to this site! The question of which ferry and when is not an easy one to answer as to a great extent it depends, as others have said, on where you live. For me the easiest cross

Frankly...all the three sailings  to Caen have drawbacks from my point of view. I live a good three hours from Portsmouth so have never considered the morning boat. The afternoon sailing lands me

We tend to go for overnights outwards. From Fishguard it's a 4 hour blast to either Plymouth or Portsmouth with not much to chose between them. The timings mean you usually hit congestion coming into Portsmouth, the M5 can be like a car park at times too.

The St M crossing is more expensive but you do usually get the Bretagne which makes up for it. Also 20.30 sailing is just right to catch a meal on board and 08.30 not a bad time to arrive. The run down to Guemene is a bit more fiddly with GPS insisting we go via St Brieuc - which is a good reason to ignore it's squaking and get a proper old fashioned road map.

Roscoff is usually a late evening sailing from Plymouth with a stupid o clock arrival in the morning. Try to arrive in Plymouth early evening get a meal, board the ferry and straight to bed.

St Malo night crossings are rare but good if you get one.

Roscoff night crossings are usually late, so again it's meal in town, on the ship and straight to bed. Ready for a silly o clock wake up call.

Day crossings from Roscoff can be good. 09.30 would mean a silly o clock departure from Guemene - worth thinking about if we are on the bike. You can make some serious progress from Guemene to Roscoff watch out for people taking pictures though. Otherwise it's drive up the night before park the transporter in the terminal then wander into town for a meal and some sherbets. One of the advantages of Roscoff is the lovely walk into town followed by a decent meal. Walking from the terminal in Plymouth in the evening I don't feel comfortable without the 3 cell maglite for company, in case the street lights fail...

Afternoon crossings are OK too, just  retire to the  cabin with a book.

Of course that was then, our lives have changed again having custody of our two grandchildren.

Maybe it's back to one of our absolute favourite times. Arrive late afternoon at the camping 4 saisons, early evening on the beach with the kids, then off to bed with the waves crashing in the background. Up at 0800, throw everything in the van and make for the terminal.

Rhys

Dear all

Thanks for the many and varied responses.

The guide will be focused on short break / weekends in and around Caen – with or without car – so I'm assuming that most people will want at least one way to Ouistreham. 

In the years before Covid one of my chums routinely did a triangle trip – out to St Malo and back from Ouistreham – he enjoys the longer overnight crossing, with time for dinner and drinks without the early wake-up next morning. And I'm interested to see that crossing appeals to quite a few folk here.

Thanks again to everyone; can I at this stage pose two more questions:

• Where do you recommend for short stays in and around Caen? 
  • Which is your favourite restaurant?

TIA

Ken

PS I will of course let you know on here when the guide goes live.

Noticed an earlier comment about tea bags - I always take my own and just get a cup of hot water from the self service as it is free. If I want coffee and have forgotten my own, then get the black coffee as it is cheaper and just add in the milk thingys - tastes better too.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SRN4 said:

Noticed an earlier comment about tea bags - I always take my own and just get a cup of hot water from the self service as it is free. If I want coffee and have forgotten my own, then get the black coffee as it is cheaper and just add in the milk thingys - tastes better too.

Good advice, we do the same. Mrs C takes tea and I always buy the cheaper black coffee and, as you say, add the milk thingys.

Edited by colinschandler