Passenger locator forms!

We do have a booking traveling  back to U.K. from Santander in June (covid allowing)!

I have been looking into the mechanics of preparing for the pre  covid tests 72 hours before booking in at Santander which is tight when traveling  up from Portugal and a sailing on a Monday as many covid testing places locally here is Portugal close on a Friday.

Anyway, am I correct in my understanding that the covid tests on arrival in U.K. can be booked from the passenger locator forms found  on the brittany ferry website.

Has nobody done this and have they any tips as to how to do it - I understand that the form has to be filled in no more than 48 hours before arriving in U.K. - we did fill the forms in last year in our car waiting in Santander at the ferry port  - however at that time there were no pre booking of covid tests to be done.

Any advice or experiences would be welcome please 😊

I too would be interested to know this. None of the test procedures, covid 'passports', etc. seem to be in place yet. On May 7th we should hear which countries are in which 'traffic light system' colour. I wonder if they might also let us know by then how we navigate the bureaucracy and process of obtaining whatever the necessary paperwork will be?

45 minutes ago, Lofty said:

We do have a booking traveling  back to U.K. from Santander in June (covid allowing)!

I have been looking into the mechanics of preparing for the pre  covid tests 72 hours before booking in at Santander which is tight when traveling  up from Portugal and a sailing on a Monday as many covid testing places locally here is Portugal close on a Friday.

Anyway, am I correct in my understanding that the covid tests on arrival in U.K. can be booked from the passenger locator forms found  on the brittany ferry website.

Has nobody done this and have they any tips as to how to do it - I understand that the form has to be filled in no more than 48 hours before arriving in U.K. - we did fill the forms in last year in our car waiting in Santander at the ferry port  - however at that time there were no pre booking of covid tests to be done.

Any advice or experiences would be welcome please 😊

I think that it is best to wait until the UK announcements this week & also see the BF reaction. Some articles have mentioned the possibility of taking lateral flow tests on holiday with you, in addition some BF tweets have confirmed that they are looking at options of working with others to provide tests,

As David rightly says it will be interesting to see what's announced next week, but the current rules are that you have to book the 2 Covid tests before completing the Passenger Locator form and not from it as you imply. I found this out to my dismay when I travelled back to UK in early April, thinking work mean't I was exempt I arrived at Cherbourg check-in only to be refused boarding until I had booked and paid for the 2 tests (£210!), then had to redo the Locator form with the correct reference number.

All very stressful trying to complete on an Iphone, but let's not go there ....It's hard enough getting the Covid test in advance of travel to satisfy the tight schedule and both dogs with the correct paperwork - things can only get easier but who knows when.....

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

it will be interesting to see what's announced next week,

It looks like the English rules etc will be announced on Friday (delayed by a day due to the elections !), the initial allocation of Colours  may be announced then or may have to wait until next week. I have seen a number of reports that say that most of Europe should be Green by mid June !

It will be interesting what happens in Scotland and Wales as they may or may not have functioning governments at the end of the week.

We also need to see how the key European Countries react to the EU recommendations on allowing us in !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Williams said:

It will be interesting what happens in Scotland and Wales as they may or may not have functioning governments at the end of the week.

The count in Scotland doesn't start until Friday and it'll be Saturday or possibly Sunday before the results are all in.

Day 2 and Day 8 test is booked with provider of your choice (Gov.co.uk website has a list of current providers with fees). I used tests for all at a total cost of £105 for day 2 and 8. This gives you a code that you enter on the passenger locator form. Whether this will still be the same next month we will have to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for that, I have found their information and will try them when we have to apply.  Did you Email  them or call?

Here is Gov list of providers:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/providers-of-day-2-and-day-8-coronavirus-testing-for-international-arrivals

I just went on the provider's website and booked via there. I was going to book before I left, but decided to leave it till about 60 hours before return and that is when I found Testing For All had stuck in a price about £64 cheaper than anyone else. According to their website they are a not for profit org and are doing it al cost. I got back to UK and test kits were waiting for me at home. Postage is paid on your return samples and you just drop them in a priority post box (or any postbox). Its 24hr delivery and I got the test results within about 2 days of posting via email.

• Like 1

SRN4,  you were wise to wait.  Number2 son flew in urgently from Hong Kong three weeks ago see his mother who is ill. The procedure of isolation for ten days at home, but having to book two COVID tests in advance and enter them on the locator form was exactly as you describe. But he had to pay about £200.

But look on the bright side. We have just been told we can go to South Georgia, Tristan da Cunha and St Helena for our hols without having to fill out a locator form or quarantine when we come back. Alas France, Spain and Italy are not on the happy holidays list. 

6 minutes ago, wortley said:

But look on the bright side. We have just been told we can go to South Georgia, Tristan da Cunha and St Helena for our hols without having to fill out a locator form or quarantine when we come back. Alas France, Spain and Italy are not on the happy holidays list. 

The latter is on my dream destination list but as I'm travelling from France that might prove complicated. The one in the middle is so difficult to reach that I suspect the best chance is to be shipwrecked there and as for the former I'll have to wait until I'm retired and then go on a cruise.

Ed

So Portugal is on the green list which is amazing for us, however to reach Santander to catch the ferry by car we travel via Spain, where does that leave us?

As long as we don’t get out of the car leaving Portugal or touch the tyres after entering Spain we’re still green - sorry I’m being sarcastic here but what a tangled web.

3 minutes ago, Lofty said:

So Portugal is on the green list which is amazing for us, however to reach Santander to catch the ferry by car we travel via Spain, where does that leave us?

As long as we don’t get out of the car leaving Portugal or touch the tyres after entering Spain we’re still green - sorry I’m being sarcastic here but what a tangled web.

Exactly what I was thinking. Some sort of official corridor needs to be introduced between Santander and the Spanish/Portuguese border to allow people to travel.

Ed

Exactly what I was thinking. Some sort of official corridor needs to be introduced between Santander and the Spanish/Portuguese border to allow people to travel.

Not sure I agree with that. Bascally they are saying you can fly from the UK to Portugal and back. How would you police a land corridor? It's just one of the inevitable anomalies which should fade away as Spain eventually gets onto the Green List.

You can still get to Portugal if you have to but not with a vehicle for the moment.

The shortest route from Santander to the border is around 500 kms and 4.5 hours. That's doable without the need to stop for fuel if you arrive with a full tank but a short break to change drivers/walk a dog could be allowed. Last year there were similar rules I think whereby you could do a trip as long as you didn't interact with any local people.

Ed

It is virtually impossible  not to stop on route from Portugal to Santander how ever hard you try - so trying  to convince anybody  that you have not interacted would be a difficult one, plus they ask where you have  traveled from, you can hardly say Portugal with a ferry departing from Spain🙈

I think Brittany ferries need to do some ground work for all us folk who not only need to use their facility but support them wholeheartedly and miss them dearly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

Yet again the assumptions in the rules are that everyone travelling abroad rocks up at an airport and travels in a metal tube.

4 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

Yet again the assumptions in the rules are that everyone travelling abroad rocks up at an airport and travels in a metal tube.

Quite, when a large number of travellers will be those going to their second homes for up to 6 months. Therefore the outbound trip will present no issues as long as the border between Spain and Portugal is open. By the time those people think about coming home, hopefully the situation will be much improved.

Ed

• Like 1

Hopefully Spain will be Green soon. Re corridors, there was a time when Germany was ok but France was not that it was ok to use the tunnel as you could claim not to have set foot on French soil, however ships did not count as you had to get out of the car whilst in port.

Which, to be fair, is usually the case. I don't know the actual figures but I'd bet that ferry travellers constitute a very small proportion of the whole.

My Brother has an apartment in Spain, he wouldn't dream of travelling to it by ferry. France is of course very different but it is an exception relatively when it comes to overseas travel.

UK residents going abroad in 2019
Air - 85%
Sea - 8%
Channel Tunnel - 7%

Overseas visitors travelling to the UK 2019
Air - 79%
Sea - 11%
Channel Tunnel - 10%

For reference, overall BF carries 1.8% of all international travellers to and from the UK, the rest of the ferry routes bar Dover Straits crossings (including the Tunnel, HMG classify the tunnel as a short sea route), are almost rounding errors in the big picture. Portsmouth - Caen accounts for 0.7% of the bigger picture total.

72% of all UK international ferry traffic is UK to France.

The still amazing travel figure is 57% of all UK international passenger travel went through Heathrow in 2019.

Data: HMG - Sea Passenger Stats 2019, DoT Overseas Travel by Mode 2019 - & CAA

At least we know the English rules now, hopefully BF will assist with locating pre return tests, in theory they could be done at checkin.

Now we just need to understand the French and Spanish rules for June.

Given the 72 hour rule for negative COVID tests I wonder how we will fare if (as has happened to me) there is a 24 hour+ delay to the ferry due to bad weather,  I have read that the 72 hour rule applies to arrival  and if that's the case I can't see how people sailing UK/Spain can schedule test/get to the port/sail for 24 hours/arrive and feel confident that they've stayed within the 72 hour deadline. And what about the 2 night sailings to Spain!!!!.

Spain being Amber is of no real consequence to me as 10 days at home alone has become standard but 3 or 4 COVID tests will prove to be expensive.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, David Williams said:

At least we know the English rules now, hopefully BF will assist with locating pre return tests, in theory they could be done at checkin.

Now we just need to understand the French and Spanish rules for June.

David

How will a PCR test at checkin work? I thought the quickest test was 24 hours or have I got this wrong. 

I do hope you are correct

Edited by IanN