Jump to content

CalMac ageing fleet and reliability.


Recommended Posts

On 19/07/2021 at 12:08, VikingVoyager said:

anyone know what the current situation is with Cal Mac?

Been on both Arran ships over the last fortnight. Both in fine fettle, one is 38 years old and the other 28.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2021 at 14:21, fiobhaniar said:

In what sense? The only major issues just now are that the freight-only MV Arrow (that has just been chartered) has broken down, meaning Loch Seaforth has to do some extra freight crossings vice daytime passenger sailings; and that MV Argyll Flyer is still having repairs following issues discovered while on overhaul.

We've got crossings to Arran and Islay in the next week, so was basically wondering if there were still service alterations.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

We've got crossings to Arran and Islay in the next week, so was basically wondering if there were still service alterations.  

VV if you're heading to Arran, word of warning, the restaurants seem to be booked solid for the next two months. The only place we managed to get in was the Ormidale Hotel.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, jonno said:

VV if you're heading to Arran, word of warning, the restaurants seem to be booked solid for the next two months. The only place we managed to get in was the Ormidale Hotel.

Good to know! We are there for four days (from Sunday), staying over on the west coast. We do tend to eat out a few times but it's more likely to be be ad-hoc lunch times. I'll mention it Mrs VV though.  Then it's on to Kintyre and Islay

Was the hotel any good? (remembering we have young kids!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Good to know! We are there for four days (from Sunday), staying over on the west coast. We do tend to eat out a few times but it's more likely to be be ad-hoc lunch times. I'll mention it Mrs VV though.  Then it's on to Kintyre and Islay

Was the hotel any good? (remembering we have young kids!)

We didn't stay in the hotel, we were in the motorhome up at Seal Shore campsite, sister & BIL camped so we had a car to get around in. Food was very good and plentiful and they do a kids menu, they allow dogs too. The Pier Head Inn and Drift Inn in Lamlash are others... no need to book, good lunchtime menu. Corrie & Shishkine golf clubs allow passers by, again good daytime menu's and very informal.

Old Byre Visitor Centre has one of the best kids play areas I've ever seen, great views across Kilbrannan Sound and the shores of Kintyre.

Another suggestion? Fill up with fuel at Ardrossan Asda next to the port. We only saw one fuel station on Arran and if you're towing anything or in a van you'll struggle to get in to it.

Look out for the dolphins when on the ferry! Loads of them and there's a lot of seals around too basking on the rocks all around the island.

Sounds like a great holiday! We're off back up there on Friday, Kyle of Lochalsh & Skye.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, jonno said:

Look out for the dolphins when on the ferry!

Thanks for all the tips.

Yep, we are towing, slightly nervous as we've recently maxed out on caravan size, to the point where we are now in excess of 13m!  Will definitely fuel up before the ferry.  We are staying at Bridgend campsite - midge remedies at the ready....

 

Old Byre is a good tip - I also read that Brodick Castle gardens were a good place to explore with the kids. We are taking bikes so hoping to get around a little bit under pedal power (more so on Islay) rather than always using the car.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

We are staying at Bridgend campsite - midge remedies at the ready....

Nice little site Bridgend, cracking views of Goat Fell. 'The String' B880 is fairly easy from the other side of Brodick, we were behind a few plant hire low loaders along there and they managed easily enough... just watch your wing mirrors, We lost the drivers side mirror glass & indicator lens due to a Range Rover driver who didn't understand the meaning of the white lines. 

Enjoy!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see Hebridean Isles has troubles as well now, with todays service to Colonsay cancelled. The intended 'resilience' in the Lewis service produced by the chartering of MV Arrow is also a failure, that vessel has limped to Belfast (for repairs I assume) so the additional passenger journeys and increased freight capacity have fallen by the wayside just at the peak holiday season.

I wonder if Calmac management are on the valium yet......?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Barry Thomas said:

I see Hebridean Isles has troubles as well now, with todays service to Colonsay cancelled. The intended 'resilience' in the Lewis service produced by the chartering of MV Arrow is also a failure, that vessel has limped to Belfast (for repairs I assume) so the additional passenger journeys and increased freight capacity have fallen by the wayside just at the peak holiday season.

I wonder if Calmac management are on the valium yet......?

The Valium? is that another chartered ship then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at Calmac's website today, they have 7 routes with warnings and issues with 6 ships (MV Argyll Flyer, MV Ali Cat, MV Finlaggan, MV Arrow, MV Lord of the Isles, and MV Chieftain) plus MV Hebridean Isles is returning to service today after repairs. They even have buses replacing a couple of crossings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, elaine80 said:

Looking at Calmac's website today, they have 7 routes with warnings and issues with 6 ships (MV Argyll Flyer, MV Ali Cat, MV Finlaggan, MV Arrow, MV Lord of the Isles, and MV Chieftain) plus MV Hebridean Isles is returning to service today after repairs. They even have buses replacing a couple of crossings.

I think I am going to stick my head in the sand until Saturday night!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, elaine80 said:

It's the Gourock crossings to Dunoon and Kilcreggan.

That's an absurd distance, particularly for the former. I imagine Western Ferries are doing a roaring trade or do they not take foot passengers?

Ed

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

That's an absurd distance, particularly for the former. I imagine Western Ferries are doing a roaring trade or do they not take foot passengers?

Ed

 

Gourock to Dunoon by ferry is 2.6 miles; by road it's nearly 90 miles.

Western Ferries do take foot passengers.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Glen Sannox affair was covered in some detail on BBC Newsnight last night, and pretty damning it was too.  Still available on BBC iPlayer in the UK for the next few days - it's about 17 minutes in.  Worth a watch.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...