CalMac ageing fleet and reliability.

Scottish TV could make a soap opera for mariners out of the troubles Calmac are experiencing!

Caledonian Isles is out of service for a deep clean and replacement crew after a crew member tested positive for Covid19. I assume this means the entire crew have to isolate for a few days.  Well I suppose it had to happen eventually, but where are they going to get a replacement crew from, not the Jobcentre I hope.

Anyone going to Arran is in for a wait at the terminal with only one ferry running?

On 16/08/2021 at 14:32, Pegpilot said:

Well if we're doing Calmac signs, I took this on Finlaggan on the way back from Islay 3 years ago. I do hope the Captain didn't have a hand in its drafting....

DSC_0793.JPG

This may explain things - taken on MV Isle of Arran

image.thumb.png.7882edabe72d47aa6198f298607df343.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

This may explain things - taken on MV Isle of Arran

image.thumb.png.7882edabe72d47aa6198f298607df343.png

I have a lot of questions about this photo and I'm not sure which is the most pertinent. I'll start with, 'Why are there two doors back to back?'

Ed

Excellent. Thanks. Now the difficult one.

Where can you find a passenger slim enough to fit in the space between them? And how would that person get there? Due to the positions of the signs, both side of the central space are accessible for crew only. 

Ed

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Excellent. Thanks. Now the difficult one.

Where can you find a passenger slim enough to fit in the space between them? And how would that person get there? Due to the positions of the signs, both side of the central space are accessible for crew only. 

Ed

The signs are both designed to seen from the angle that you are looking at and the ventilation/ flyscreen door opens inwards.

• Like 1

The crucial issue is whether the Covid virus can pass through the ventilation mesh and infect the engines in which case the propulsion system must shut down for ten days or whatever the current ruling is.

If 'Long Covid' is diagnosed then the  propeller shafts must be withdrawn for extended treatment before being replaced.

It's all perfectly obvious really....

Edited by cvabishop
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Supposed to be going to Arran on Thursday but not looking good. Caledonian Isles (which we were booked on) out of service due to covid cases at least until tomorrow. The Isle of Arran, covering and providing general support has developed an issue with her bow visor so needs attention tomorrow. Calmac asking people to divert to Lochranza to Clanoig. As the crow flies it's around 40 miles from where we are staying in Ayrshire, but by road around 3.5 hrs detour each way. 2-3hrs from Glasgow too, so can't see it being that popular. 

That was tongue in cheek, Ha Ha. From the Calmac website it looks as though they are hopeful of fixing the fault this morning, so you might be OK for tomorrow. But.... ye never know.🙄

If it is long Covid and the vessel has to have its prop shafts withdrawn it means a trip to a dry dock, a risk assessment, PPE for the prop shaft and screw, possibly quarantine after withdrawal. I assume long Covid will mean it cannot go very fast either, say a week to dry dock, 2 weeks to recover and a few weeks convalescence.😁😁

Back from a day trip to Arran. First time there and we absolutely loved it, stunning place. Caledonian Isles back in service both ways, nice enough for the 55min crossing, but well worn inside, and in need of a decent refurb. Looks older than she is, she's younger than a similarly hard working Normandie, and nowhere near as well kept. Disappointed to miss out on the Isle of Arran which we saw in Brodick on Campbeltown duties, the calm seas tonight would have made for a lovely evening cruise there. Also good to see Waverley back in action and leaving Brodick for the Clyde. Calmac on Arran back up and running then, but a new vessel will definitely smarten up the route, whenever she finally arrives. Next trip planned is to Islay and Finlaggan, later this year. Good to be back on a ferry for the first time since 2019, even if it was a bit small! 

20210819_095459.jpg

20210819_094925.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Back from a day trip to Arran. First time there and we absolutely loved it, stunning place. Caledonian Isles back in service both ways, nice enough for the 55min crossing, but well worn inside, and in need of a decent refurb. Looks older than she is, she's younger than a similarly hard working Normandie, and nowhere near as well kept. Disappointed to miss out on the Isle of Arran which we saw in Brodick on Campbeltown duties, the calm seas tonight would have made for a lovely evening cruise there. Also good to see Waverley back in action and leaving Brodick for the Clyde. Calmac on Arran back up and running then, but a new vessel will definitely smarten up the route, whenever she finally arrives. Next trip planned is to Islay and Finlaggan, later this year. Good to be back on a ferry for the first time since 2019, even if it was a bit small! 

20210819_095459.jpg

20210819_094925.jpg

We loved it too and agree with your thoughts on been back on a ferry

• Like 1

I looks as though some replacement ferries are need pdq. After its earlier failure MV Arrow has broken down again with a steering gear problem, and MV Bute is out for the day with engine defects.

Calmac are having a torrid time with ship defects this Summer, lets hope trade slackens enough over the Winter for some of the vessels to receive the attention that they appear to need. MV Valium to the rescue? 

3 hours ago, Barry Thomas said:

I looks as though some replacement ferries are need pdq. After its earlier failure MV Arrow has broken down again with a steering gear problem, and MV Bute is out for the day with engine defects.

Calmac are having a torrid time with ship defects this Summer, lets hope trade slackens enough over the Winter for some of the vessels to receive the attention that they appear to need. MV Valium to the rescue? 

The whole fleet seems to be a shambles. I live in west-central Scotland and both my husband and I have family connections with Bute and Argyll so Calmac has been part of our lives since we were small (my parents holidayed on Arran for the first 6 summers of my life).

11 hours ago, elaine80 said:

£375,000 will pay for a fairly comprehensive fact-finding trip to the Caribbean to see how they run their inter-island ferry fleets with enough left over for a comparison with the Canaries too. Then a couple of months in the Seychelles over winter to write up his report. 

Ed

• Haha 2

The woes continue, Hebrides now needs dry dock attention to leaking shaft oil seals and is out of service from Tuesday. Another swop round of ships and duties, right at the start of the livestock sales weeks with Mallaig - Lochboisdale services cancelled. 

I think new ships cannot arrive too soon.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/lifestyle/greens-suggest-new-passenger-and-freight-ferry-link-from-rosyth-to-europe-3203100?fbclid=IwAR2SufMpQ4Vo6ZB1s-xNeLkeWyd8Aa1P3iljDiou-GG1RxnUNahY8lF-tzw

Superfast and DFDS couldn't make this route work; Calmac is struggling with its existing routes. I live half an hour from Rosyth but Zeebrugge is too far from The Vendee so driving to Portsmouth is still our best option.

5 hours ago, elaine80 said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/lifestyle/greens-suggest-new-passenger-and-freight-ferry-link-from-rosyth-to-europe-3203100?fbclid=IwAR2SufMpQ4Vo6ZB1s-xNeLkeWyd8Aa1P3iljDiou-GG1RxnUNahY8lF-tzw

Superfast and DFDS couldn't make this route work; Calmac is struggling with its existing routes. I live half an hour from Rosyth but Zeebrugge is too far from The Vendee so driving to Portsmouth is still our best option.

Has Calmac ever operated a ferry to a destination outside Scotland before? I seem to recall there was a route from the Mull of Kintyre to Northern Ireland at one point but I don't remember the details.

Ed

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Has Calmac ever operated a ferry to a destination outside Scotland before? I seem to recall there was a route from the Mull of Kintyre to Northern Ireland at one point but I don't remember the details.

Ed

there's this one, still operating, but I don't think they take caravans.

https://westcoasttours.co.uk/tours/kintyre-express/

This article from 1996 seems to talk about the introduction of the service you mention:
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12079394.new-life-ahoy-for-calmac-ferry-claymore/

And it's closure in 2000

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/652866.stm

Edited by VikingVoyager
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

And it's closure in 2000

That may well be the one I was thinking of but it just seemed more recent than that.

The Calmac connection via the ship makes it likely to be the one.

If Scotland ever gains independence and joins the EU, you'd think that a similar route from Campbeltown to, perhaps, Greencastle in the ROI might become a reality to ease seafood exports to the continent.

Ed

• Like 1