News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Don’t fret and fly this summer, sail and stay instead

Andy

4 hours ago, David Williams said:

A press release like this is not an advertising campaign,

This is advertising and marketing! Old style 'place an ad' advertising is just a small part, and could be argued the dumbest part, of marketing. We live in the modern social media (SM) age. BF like many old companies need to get with the times and start speaking to the next generation using every avenue available, including non bland soggy press releases for the biggest PR machine that people mistakenly call the news.

Ditto French holiday providers and attractions. Sometimes the whole ferry / French tourist scene feels like stepping back to the 1980s/90s. And using SM effectively is not just posting pretty pictures or news on Twitter, Facebook et al, nor retweeting happy customer tweets etc. Again preaching to the converted. Not sure what all these social media managers are paid for, most of them couldn't whip up excitement at a party.

As probably the best known worldwide example, Tesla spends no money on advertising, does not have a PR department yet has grown their business at a blistering rate, and that is despite all the negative / verifiably untrue press out there. Using another car company for comparison VW, the biggest in Europe, who spends €3 billion just on advertising per year and who is paying for that, as always the customer. In case you are wondering that is an average £498 for every VW car sold just to advertise it to you the buyer vs £0 for each Tesla sold. What a great deal for the customer due to VW marketing ineffectiveness.

BF need to up their game, becoming proactive and as forward looking as they were at the start, and the rest will follow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a whole France is a beautiful country with wonderful people, or at least the ones we have met mainly in rural areas, but does it sell itself to the British public?  All we see over here is Macron and the like making threats about everything they can because of Brexit, I know some of this can be bias in the press but it wasn't the British press threatening the Electric supply to Jersey.  France needs to sell itself to the British again, so we can see past what the Politicians on both sides stir up.

For BF the future for now it's getting the Motorhomers and Motorcyclist back on board, especially to Spain, you just have to watch the ferry unloading in Santander to see the demand once things settle down.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

Now that looks like fun...😁

Chris

I'd rank the Scillonian as one of the worst ferries I've sailed on, not because of her motion, but because of how incredibly bland and souless she was inside. I was really disappointed, and for that alone would probably look at flying at least one way if I visit the Isles of Scilly again.  

I seem to recall she was built down to a budget and of course is shallow draught which, taken with the often rough conditions, makes for a bumpy ride.

Her predecessor was also a very lively sea boat.

21 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

What do you reckon that figure will be in 10 years (and do you reckon Tesla will still be independent?)

If EM is still in charge it will still be zero £, $ etc for several reasons from his dislike of the lying media to knowing how to use social media effectively.

Tesla is not a car company but a collection of many businesses from energy to AI, of which currently transport robots (cars) are just the largest part currently. In 10 years the transportation landscape is going to look different to today and some traditional car companies probably won’t survive. It is a worldwide evolution similar to what happened to the UK car industry.

The same is going to happen to a lot of industries including shipping. Galicia is demonstration of this, how the European ship building industry is in trouble, a lack of imagination/ looking to the future, and the homogenous identikit blandness that encompasses much today. Part of the fun of ferry travel especially BF is exploring and experiencing the quirks of each ship. Instead we are heading towards “which ferry?”! “Not sure they all look but the same, but it had a Spanish sounding name” scenario.

On 21/05/2021 at 13:59, Ryan_H said:

I'd rank the Scillonian as one of the worst ferries I've sailed on, not because of her motion, but because of how incredibly bland and souless she was inside. I was really disappointed, and for that alone would probably look at flying at least one way if I visit the Isles of Scilly again.  

Some time ago now but I remember the runway  at At Marys had a nasty upward slope at the threshold. Nearly caught me out to use full power to land as I was flying a heavily loaded, oldish, underpowered plane hired by my friend. Wife said I looked very serious!

• Like 1

On 10/05/2021 at 21:59, PGTV said:

That’s a long drive - how long does it take by car from your location to portsmouth terminal 

I live near Manchester, Portsmouth usually tales me less than 4 hours driving. I can get on the Ferry, relax for 24+hours. Drive to our house in Spain in 7-8 hours. Own space, own bed, even own balcony on PA.

I would much rather do that than get on a an airplane to Alicante. I do, as often we have to. But, as we live near Big cities, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds. The Airplanes are often full of drunken, rude, foul mouthed Hens and Stags. We call it the Benibus. In the last 6 years of flying to Alicante, I can honestly say, out of 8 return flights a year, I would need just one hand to count the number of times we have NOT had problems on the flight. If Manchester - Valencia was more frequent, I would fly there and leave me car there instead of Alicante.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2021 at 11:51, Shipping Forecast said:

The same is going to happen to a lot of industries including shipping. Galicia is demonstration of this, how the European ship building industry is in trouble, a lack of imagination/ looking to the future, and the homogenous identikit blandness that encompasses much today. Part of the fun of ferry travel especially BF is exploring and experiencing the quirks of each ship. Instead we are heading towards “which ferry?”! “Not sure they all look but the same, but it had a Spanish sounding name” scenario.

Maybe yes maybe no. European ship building isn't in trouble, the yards a full and have brimming order books.

In terms of ferries we've had identikit designs for over half a century none of which have hurt the industry. There are 12 Superfasts, all built roughly 15 - 20 years ago and you need two hands to count the Visentini's too. 

Three of four Peter Pans sailed the channel in the '90's, BF's Val de Loire, Pride of Portsmouth & Pride of Le Havre, two are still very popular serving Newcastle the other two offering sterling service sailing for GNV along with their close cousin. Talking of GNV, they have identikit sisters so too do Moby.... The Silja twins, Color Line, Tallink, P & O, the list in long and distinguished. How about Townsend Thoresen?

Normandie & Barfleur are built from the same design so too are Armorique & Cotentin. The only two unique vessels BF have are Bretagne & Pont Aven, one famous one infamous.

2 hours ago, Javea said:

I live near Manchester, Portsmouth usually tales me less than 4 hours driving. I can get on the Ferry, relax for 24+hours. Drive to our house in Spain in 7-8 hours. Own space, own bed, even own balcony on PA.

I would much rather do that than get on a an airplane to Alicante. I do, as often we have to. But, as we live near Big cities, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds. The Airplanes are often full of drunken, rude, foul mouthed Hens and Stags. We call it the Benibus. In the last 6 years of flying to Alicante, I can honestly say, out of 8 return flights a year, I would need just one hand to count the number of times we have NOT had problems on the flight. If Manchester - Valencia was more frequent, I would fly there and leave me car there instead of Alicante.

Depends on what airline you travel on. I won't touch the so called budget airlines with a barge pole and the hidden costs plus additions don't really save you a great deal of money anyway. I can fly SAS to Stockholm cheaper than Ryanair who land at a 'Stockholm' airport over 100km's away enjoy inflight WiFi and free food & drink.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jonno said:

Depends on what airline you travel on. I won't touch the so called budget airlines with a barge pole and the hidden costs plus additions don't really save you a great deal of money anyway. I can fly SAS to Stockholm cheaper than Ryanair who land at a 'Stockholm' airport over 100km's away enjoy inflight WiFi and free food & drink.

Yes, BA who I like dropped Manchester as a main hub back in 2005 I think. They did start a once weekly Saturday flight to Alicante using laid up embraer `Jets that cannot be used at London City. However that has stopped. 

That meant, for us. To fly to Alicante from Manchester meant:

Fly MANCHESTER - London Heathrow. Get shuttle to Gatwick and then fly to Alicante. Same on return. Just not worth the effort or cost. We only have budget airlines from Manchester to Alicante left now.

BUT!. BA's reshuffle of service means they are now flying from Heathrow to Alicante. So I will be looking at that option. Baggage and snacks included. 

1 hour ago, jonno said:

How about Townsend Thoresen?

The only really unique vessel TT built was FE1.

FE2 and FE3 were similar, with the latter being a larger version of the former.

The final five FEs were built to essentially the same design - 4&5 were identical, 6&7 identical to each other and slightly developed from 4&5, and FE8 a bit longer than 6&7.

The original Vikings were almost identical; 1&2 were identical and 3 different in only minor ways.

Four Super Vikings identical apart from the Doverised loading arrangements of the Felixstowe pair at the bow end.

The first three European freighters were identical, with the last one (Enterprise) being a slightly tweaked version of the same design.

The three identical Blue Riband ships and the two identical Chunnel Beaters completes the set.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jonno said:

Maybe yes maybe no. European ship building isn't in trouble, the yards a full and have brimming order books.

Full order books does not necessary translate to value, innovation, success or profit, nor does it mean all is healthy with the industry in Europe.

11 hours ago, jonno said:

In terms of ferries we've had identikit designs for over half a century none of which have hurt the industry.

Apologies for lack of clarity, building a ship series, or even twins, both of which make sense from many perspectives, is not what I meant by identikit above, but rather the implementation of innovations and progress over time (decades ...?), combined with the increasing homogeny of travel whether tube or tub.

It would seem that progress now means retreating and marketing the result to customers as that is what they really want, much like the aviation industry has done.

13 hours ago, jonno said:

I won't touch the so called budget airlines with a barge pole

Agree. If the name includes a descriptor it is rarely that - budget airlines, Quality Hotel, luxury car etc.

Surely, with airlines, it's simply a case of looking at where you want to go, finding convenient times and then looking at the best value option (which means factoring in luggage allowance, refreshments etc)? I think we are all wise to the fact that you need to check whether the airport is in the same region as its stated name and whether it has transport links.

I don't fly very often, but the above criteria has seen me use BA, TAP, RyanAir and EasyJet in recent year.  My last flight to Berlin with RyanAir certainly had a younger crowd, but I don't think that they were intimidating, even to the old crusties.

It's a little different with ferries, if you happen to be an enthusiast but the criteria are broadly the same.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Way off topic so please move but BF have announced an extension to CV any idea how long for? Or is it being applied to customers who have travelled only

As a gesture of goodwill for your loyalty and support during these challenging times we have further extended your membership free of charge. The extension will be automatically added to your membership, you do not need to do anything.

8 minutes ago, IanN said:

Way off topic so please move but BF have announced an extension to CV any idea how long for? Or is it being applied to customers who have travelled only

As a gesture of goodwill for your loyalty and support during these challenging times we have further extended your membership free of charge. The extension will be automatically added to your membership, you do not need to do anything.

Mine now expires 31/3/2022, so it looks like another 3 months

59 minutes ago, Solo said:

Mine was moved from January to 31st August this year.

Mine was due to expire 31/08/2021 still due to expire 31/08/2021 I will await developments