Portugal route?

What incredible news! Thanks for posting.

What are the thoughts on here if people about what the crossing time would be and what vessel would be used.

I would assume crossing time to be 28 hours. An evening departure and an morning departure two days later.

Looks like just a slipway Ed. Plus sticking a ferry up there= rat up a drainpipe!

I can't see any linkspans on the satellite either, looks like just container handling facilities unless the map is out of date,

Just now, cvabishop said:

Looks like just a slipway Ed. Plus sticking a ferry up there= rat up a drainpipe!

I can't see any linkspans on the satellite either, looks like just container handling facilities unless the map is out of date,

I'm pretty sure it's a ramp of some sort. They clearly load/unload wind turbine components at the quay. I'll try and get an image on StreetView.

Ed

It is certainly a ramp but  looks like a solid concrete one, The tidal range is around 8 feet by the look of it . Not sure how a BF ship could safely unload  directly onto a shelving ramp. Med ferries unload direct onto a quayside but the tidal range is only a foot or two. You can glimpse the ramp in one of the pics on this site.

The photo after the QM2 one does show a small cruse ship alongside an indented section of quay but one has to wonder if a BF ship can cope with the tidal rise and fall using just it's own ramp and whether cars could cope with the slope without bottoming out. It will be interesting to see what is being suggested.

https://www.visitar-porto.com/en/discover/travel-info/how-to-get-to-porto/porto-de-leixoes.html

Posted (edited)

Try this. At 1 minute 33 seconds in. If they time it right with the tides maybe it would work. There is another option at 1 m 57 s. And a much better view of option 1 at 3m 04s. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+porto+de+leixoes+portugal&oq=youtube+porto+de+leix&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33l3.18431j0j4&client=ms-android-samsung-ga-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

I shall be watching this with interest as we are booked to sail Plymouth to Santander in August, heading for Portugal so would love to switch to a direct sailing if available.

Sounds a crazy idea to do a route for a short time, will have a number of unhappy passengers booked to Santander.

Spain will be Green soon. 

In addition, there must be a chance of us getting banned from Europe due to the Indian variant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veryoldbear said:

Google Earth doesn't seem to show any linkspans either in Porto or the commercial port to the North or am I missing something?

There are two, a traditionally operated linkspan further into the port and a concrete slipway type opposite the cruise terminal.603667617_portolinkspan(2)_LI.jpg.a5cf57f510135045b83fd48f8291eea8.jpgponte-movel2.jpg.e1704d9eec0a6bd1b9e44780bb997196.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

I saw those, I thought they were concrete slipways - are you saying they are hinged and floating at the seaward end?

Ah yes, the second one does look a bit like a hinged / floating one, like the one at Cherbourg.

1 minute ago, lg12 said:

Is this news? Nothing confirmed from BF (previous standard applied for news threads)

This has come from inside BF... not an obscure online grocery magazine about a 'company' with a dubious London drop box address used by hundreds.

... and let's not forget the question mark which clearly allows the reader to understand that the thread is not written to appear gospel, unlike the the far flung phantom freighter from Tangier which apparently has the speed of the Starship Enterprise.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, lg12 said:

Is this news? Nothing confirmed from BF (previous standard applied for news threads)

News is what a moderator decides is news.

However it is certainly news that  BF are considering it & that is what is being said.

• Like 1

From a Plymouth point of view - this would be great for the city to offer this. 

always a bit of rivalry between Plymouth and Portsmouth.

14 minutes ago, jonno said:

This has come from inside BF... not an obscure online grocery magazine about a 'company' with a dubious London drop box address used by hundreds.

... and let's not forget the question mark which clearly allows the reader to understand that the thread is not written to appear gospel, unlike the the far flung phantom freighter from Tangier which apparently has the speed of the Starship Enterprise.

Ah, the Tangier freight service - what happened there then.  Nothing it seems, and never thought it would either.

• Like 1

Just now, PGTV said:

From a Plymouth point of view - this would be great for the city to offer this. 

always a bit of rivalry between Plymouth and Portsmouth.

However, it is likely to replace the Santander route from Plymouth for the time that it runs & may well remove some of the Irish or French crossings of PA as well to get a workable timetable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, David Williams said:

However it is certainly news that  BF are considering it & that is what is being said.

Exactly.  It would not be correct to report “news” that BF has “announced” a new service to Portugal, which is the sort of misrepresentation we have had before.  It is indeed accurate news that BF is considering it - there won’t be anything official from them until there is a service to be announced.

But it is great to hear that BF is exploring this - shows that there is in fact some creative thinking going on, and BF is ideally placed as the company to tap into this potentially lucrative (even if temporarily) market. 👍

• Like 4

The article was just on local BBC Spotlight 

Apparently BF will be announcing the news “shortly”, with services starting at end of May.

crossings will take 30hrs (from Plymouth)

Either they are speculating or they know something.

3 minutes ago, PGTV said:

crossings will take 30hrs (from Plymouth)

Surprised at that.  That’s 10 hours longer than it currently takes from Plymouth to Santander.  This new route, if it happens and if it takes off longer term than just the next month or so, would be an ideal new role for CF post-Salamanca’s arrival.  She ought to be able to make Porto inside 24 hours from Plymouth.  And even in the short term, they probably don’t need to send her back to Bilbao until the end of restrictions to Spain.

She ought to be able to make Porto inside 24 hours from Plymouth.

Yes, but at significantly increased fuel costs.  Slower crossing = less fuel and more onboard spend I would think.