• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe cut out the middle and just do a direct route from Portsmouth to Plymouth - catch all the motorhomers driving to Devon and Cornwall!

Must be very exciting waiting to discover where you will be taken! 🤣

According to the BBC R4 news this evening all the football fans will have to fly in and out on charter flights and will be kept in a bubble (presumably one bubble per team) for the entire time. Theref

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, Le Quiberon said:

Why is this?

Because they would be better off flying to Porto, Lisbon or Faro directly and then taking advantage of the onward public transport options available. 

Ed

• Like 1

I am very much in favour of it as I like to travel to Portugal myself.  And as I am a motorcyclist  I had use Brittany Ferries to go to Spain.  It would be even better if they Open up up from Portsmouth.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jonno said:

This has come from inside BF... not an obscure online grocery magazine about a 'company' with a dubious London drop box address used by hundreds.

... and let's not forget the question mark which clearly allows the reader to understand that the thread is not written to appear gospel, unlike the the far flung phantom freighter from Tangier which apparently has the speed of the Starship Enterprise.

Oh yee of little fez.

Ed

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Ian Walker said:

It would be even better if they Open up up from Portsmouth.

And add another 6 hours to the crossing time?
No way José....🤪

Chris

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Because they would be better off flying to Porto, Lisbon or Faro directly and then taking advantage of the onward public transport options available. 

Ed

Ah fair enough!

22 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

And add another 6 hours to the crossing time?
No way José....🤪

Chris

It will be the same time if you use the Galicia from Portsmouth to Spain.

Now wouldn't an E Flexer be handy with it's own link span like those large vehicle carriers have slightly offset on the stern for loading and unloading at any pier they can berth at , might be ugly looking but would certainly make the ship flexible in this situation .

As Gareth says, CF would be the ideal candidate if this ever happens, and bearing in mind who started the thread I would imagine there is a sizeable grain of truth in this story. It’s what I love about BF, a reactive rather than proactive company, historically capable of thinking right out of the box when you least expect it.

And remember CF is a Greek island veteran and designed to rock up to any old bit of concrete,  lower the stern doors, unload/load then off she goes again - a swanky linkspan not necessarily needed...

Chris

• Like 3
2 hours ago, David Williams said:

However, it is likely to replace the Santander route from Plymouth for the time that it runs & may well remove some of the Irish or French crossings of PA as well to get a workable timetable.

I think Armorique does not sail Tuesday and Wednesday between Plymouth and Roscoff - so she could take on the French sailing for PA?

Plymouth will be quite happy taking the CF for the Santander route, and PA for Porto.

thou Plymouth is that “extra couple hours by car/train” - being a more western port, makes the journey to Spain and Portugal by ship that bit quicker.

I was initially thinking Cap but many seem to be going with Pont. The reliable NIFerry website is going for  with Pont on a 30 hour crossing.

Cap is favourable as you could sail from Portsmouth which would appeal to a wider market, and could still do the crossing in 30 hours.

And remember CF is a Greek island veteran and designed to rock up to any old bit of concrete,  lower the stern doors, unload/load then off she goes again - a swanky linkspan not necessarily needed...

When there is no significant tidal range which isn't the case in Portugal.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Le Quiberon said:

. The reliable NIFerry website is going for  with Pont on a 30 hour crossing.

Taken slightly out of context LQ....

The most obvious ship for such a service would be the PONT-AVEN. With excellent facilities and a maximum speed of 27knots, she could offer a sailing time of around 24 hours. Though, to offer an ideal schedule, it is more likely that the crossing would be in the region of 30 hours. The company’s other normal UK – Spain vessel, CAP FINISTERE, would also prove very suitable.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that Armorique may be operating PA’s Friday night Cork departure from Roscoff as she’s so much cheaper to operate. However the same source confidently told me the French government would be pulling the plug on funding and the company would be gone in a couple of months so who knows.

Whatever happens BF won’t want vessels thrashing down to Portugal as fast as possible, made very clear in their recent PR statements about routes in general. Saving money in a difficult economic climate is at the top of the list and will be for a good few years.

Chris

3 hours ago, jonno said:

This has come from inside BF... not an obscure online grocery magazine about a 'company' with a dubious London drop box address used by hundreds.

... and let's not forget the question mark which clearly allows the reader to understand that the thread is not written to appear gospel, unlike the the far flung phantom freighter from Tangier which apparently has the speed of the Starship Enterprise.

I was just referring to previous discussion on St Malo - Ireland where a quote from the BF Board Chairperson was not enough to constitute news because there was no press release or formal announcement.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Damn, hadn’t thought of that...

Thanks Colin

I suppose you could build the timetable to work around the tides (with plenty of opportunities for things to go wrong). 

42 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

When there is no significant tidal range which isn't the case in Portugal.

Zierbena has a similar linkspan to the one further into the port and a similar tidal range. Setubal further down the coast is equally effected although the car carriers cope very well... no linkspan.

My first concern would be the condition both they and the quayside are in.

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

True. But in this case does the Cap (Finistere) fit? 

Ed

Yep, 236m LOA and 10m of water on the linkspan you highlighted and it's longer and deeper opposite the cruise terminal.

You'd get an E-Flexer in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bet that (unless BF was considering this anyway, independently of covid) by the time this gets to a point where it can actually happen, the green light will come on for travel to Spain and so the raison d’etre for it will disappear.

• Like 3

I seem to remember Whghtlink had the use of a temporary linkspan in (perhaps) Lymington (or Yarmouth) when their usual berth was being upgraded. Such structures do seem to exist for larger vessels and MacGregor make and sell them. Are they available to rent?

Ed